DSL40C speaker swap?

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take GIBSON67 up on his offer and try it out. It may or may not be what I'm looking for so keep the suggestions coming. I'm learning something here and I doubt I'll be the only one looking to swap out the 70/80. :cool2:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ugh...my head is spinning now! I wish there was a way a guy could try them all and then decide.

A guy could go broke trying...
But WGS and Eminence spkrs are running 70-80 bucks, you can't really go wrong.

I put a Texas Heat in my Princeton Reverb rebuild, and I love it. 150 watt speaker in a 15 watt combo...

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I meant like someplace that has everything and you can take your amp in and try them all out until you find the right one, you know?...I was fantasizing, lol.

I'm really curious about the Eminence speakers, especially the Redcoat series so I'm really hoping to hear from Marty.

Last edited:

JohnH

Reaction score
It might be worth testing what a beam blocker could do. I find them helpful. You can start by hanging a cardboard disk about 6" diameter in front. No risk to try it!
And play with those resonance and presence knobs (im envious of those)

J

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
It might be worth testing what a beam blocker could do. I find them helpful. You can start by hanging a cardboard disk about 6" diameter in front. No risk to try it!
And play with those resonance and presence knobs (im envious of those)

J

I hadn't even thought of that, thanks. I completely forgot that I've had to do that before and it really helps. Way back when I read a lot about different ways to do it, but it's been so long it completely slipped my mind. You just might be on to something. :cheers:

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
I have a Reaper and a Retro 30 in 1x12 closed cabs. I just don't see the brightness issue you guys are talking about. I have not played a Vet 30, so I can't compare.
I'm also using my Orange, which is a bit of a dark amp, and my JCM1. Maybe the JCM1 just isn't bright? Maybe I'm tone deaf (possible).

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same. How are the gain, volume, tone controls, presence and resonance set?
That is a nice avatar. :wow:

Treb 3, mids 6, bass 4, pres 2, res 3, but I'm very much still experimenting. Those were my settings last night at low volume. I've been rolling NOS pres as well so those setting are with the tubes I have in it now. They changed every time the preamp line up did, but I'm set with whats in there now for a while.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Reaper and a Retro 30 in 1x12 closed cabs. I just don't see the brightness issue you guys are talking about. I have not played a Vet 30, so I can't compare.
I'm also using my Orange, which is a bit of a dark amp, and my JCM1. Maybe the JCM1 just isn't bright? Maybe I'm tone deaf (possible).

The DSL is brighter than those I believe. It's also a partially open back. I listened to all the WGS clips today so after I try the Veteran 30 I should be able to tell if the Retro would be any better by comparing the demos. (did that make sense?) I didn't like the bottom end on the Reaper I tried before I bought my Vet 30. (I actually traded it back to WGS for it. awesome company, they even payed the shipping)

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
I just took a stab in the dark when I ordered mine. For the longest time I was going to go with the green beret. Then for some reason I went with this one. Still not sure if it's better or not but I like it though and it does pair well with the reaper.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool man. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. Are you like me in thinking the 70/80 has some piercing highs? What is it you don't like about it? I would imagine the JJ you put in V1 took some of the edge off. i was going to try on, just to see what it was like after you talked about it, but it turns out I don't have one anymore.

It's not that I want to cut the highs, I just want to take the edge off, tighten up the bass and add some growl and warmth to the mids. (again, I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology)

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
That's the problem with speakers, they are expensive to mess around with. I spent $4000 with Eminence in 2010 experimenting with various speakers.

Right off the bat, the speaker that came to mind is the Eminence Red, White and Blues. This is designed to have tight low end in a combo cab. It has nice smooth midrange and peaks out at 4.5KHz. I stated in another post that it might be too much going from a speaker that is rated at 5.5KHz to one that is rated at 4.5KHz. However, the Red, White and Blues will tame high end brilliance. Please note that this speaker is only available in 8 ohms.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Marty, that's one I hadn't even considered. I was mainly looking at the Redcoats. I checked some reviews and sound clips and it does seem like it would be a good choice. It's just hard to tell without playing one.

I wonder if I get it from GC if I can use the 30 day return policy?...just thinking out loud here.

Latest posts