DSL40C speaker swap?

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
:wave: No, I'm hoping it shows today, but the mail hasn't ran yet. :fingersx:

fingers crossed for you man.:fingersx: I picked up a couple of G12T 100's cheap so I'll be interested what you reckon to your "H". If someone knows what the difference between the G12T/H/K is please feel free to chime in...cone thickness?? :thumb:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
From Avatarspeakers.com...Celestion Speaker Replacements

"The Celestion G12T100 is a higher powered, even better sounding version of the famous G12T75. With a massive 100W power rating, this speaker sits perfectly in high-power or hybrid amplifiers. It voices a modern sound with a big bass presence. Fantastic for 212s or 412s or anything high gain."

"Celestion’s very own monster of rock, the G12K-100, makes full use of the heaviest G12 magnet to combine huge power handling with superb clarity across a wide frequency response. A massive bottom-end, rock-hard midrange and restrained top-end make this the perfect speaker to add thump and grind to modern high-gain tones."

They don't describe the G12H 100 though. :hmm:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Steve wins the avatar compe tit ion :D.
I'm gonna put one of the G12T 100's in my DSL 401 and t'other in a 1 x 12 extension cab. We must compare notes or should that be tones. :hmm: They are Chinese and say "Hot 100" on the backs.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet! I'm going to set all my knobs at noon and play it with the 70/80 with it set like that, then I'll swap it out and play it again with the same settings. At least that should be a good comparison to the 70/80 anyway.

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
Steve wins the avatar compe tit ion :D.
I'm gonna put one of the G12T 100's in my DSL 401 and t'other in a 1 x 12 extension cab. We must compare notes or should that be tones. :hmm: They are Chinese and say "Hot 100" on the backs.

Hot 100, "Big clear tone with extra bass bottom end" ...yeah, that sounds about right :headbanger: for an open back combo

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, first impressions...it seems to be equally as bright, haha...but it's in a different place. Does that make any sense? It's different and not as piercing to my ears, but it's still bright. Ibanezmark described this speaker as a "V30 on steroids" in the link I posted above and I totally get that. At first listen that's exactly what I thought of. The bottom is huge and much tighter and punchier. Jury's still out on the mids, but I think they aren't as "thick" as with the seventy/80.

I'm not so sure yet if it's going to be "the one", I need to give it more time. I only played for about 30 min, but I know (at least for now) I like it much better than what was in there!!! :applause:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, first impressions...it seems to be equally as bright, haha...but it's in a different place. Does that make any sense? It's different and not as piercing to my ears, but it's still bright. Ibanezmark described this speaker as a "V30 on steroids" in the link I posted above and I totally get that. At first listen that's exactly what I thought of. The bottom is huge and much tighter and punchier. Jury's still out on the mids, but I think they aren't as "thick" as with the seventy/80.

I'm not so sure yet if it's going to be "the one", I need to give it more time. I only played for about 30 min, but I know (at least for now) I like it much better than what was in there!!! :applause:

Cool...I put my "Hot 100" in the 401 last night and left an ipod playing through it over night to try to break it in a little. I will be home this afternoon so I'll give it a workout and post my thoughts....maybe a soundcloud clip if I get time. :thumb:

shades of blue

Reaction score

Just sayin....

celestion-creamback.jpg

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a blast with my 401 for about an hour after work today. After the V30 and the Marshall gold 100 that have been in there the word is BASS and plenty of it. Had to put a lot of the middle back in that I'd taken off for the V30's and knock the bass back a little (from full to 7. This has real potential at volume though. I had cranked the master up to 4 and it was loud. I'm really looking forward to band practise on Sunday so I can use it with the 1 x 12 extension with t'other Hot 100 in it. I'm going to take my Tascam DP-01 there and record some stuff...haven't got time to set up today. :dude:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
After playing it for the last hour and a half I can definitely say that it's MUCH better than the stock speaker. The bottom kicks ass, like I said above. It's tight and chunky and the lower mids sound thick and wooly, very nice. The top end sounds really good too except for one thing and I have to be honest...there's this chimy high pitched "thing" going on top of everything that after spending some time with the eq I was able to tame, but not dial out. I don't know how to describe it, but it's always there even if I'm just picking on the low strings. I suck at describing sound, but that's the best word I can come up with. It sounds fantastic clean and semi dirty blues stuff it shines, but I'm more into higher gain hard rock and metal and that's where that harsh chime comes in and sits on top of everything.

I'm either going to try and come up with some kind of a beam blocker and see if that works or I might be saving this one for a future cab down the road and pair it with something else. I have a GC coupon and found out the 30 day return policy does apply on speakers so I'm going to experiment a little bit. :naughty:

GIBSON67, don't even think twice about it, this is the best speaker purchase I've made so far, I like it much better than the Vet30s and GBs I've had. If the beam blocker doesn't work out I don't have any immediate plans, but I want to try it in a cab before I rule it out.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I have, but I've been fooled by demos too many times now and I just don't trust that they'll sound the same in my amp with my setup.

PA280013.jpg

I have 2 Godins. (...for now) Both guitars have the same neck, mahogany/rosewood. The one on the left is a solid maple body loaded with MHD Straitjacket Tele set, the one on the right is a mahogany body loaded with MHD Stangkfingers.

Yes I need to tame the highs and the bottom needs to be tighter. There's kind of a "honk" throughout that I want to get rid of and the mids, well thats where most of the "honk" seems to be. I'm not sure if honk is the right word, I might not be describing it right.

Why do you have your DSL on that riser - is it aethstetic or is there a specific reason?

Highs - yeah it's a bright amp. On the ultra channel I have my treble between 0-2 and keep the presence off. To keep the low end tight I turn the resonance off, keep the bass at 9:00-10:00, and mids between noon and 2:00. I do not use the tone shift (button out).

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I live on a plywood raised floor and when my amp is sitting directly on it the bass vibrates through the floor and rattles everything in the house. So, I have it sitting up on 12"x12" cement pavers stacked with 1/4" thick rubber pads in between them. It just cuts down on the vibration through the floor joists. lmao, I can't believe someone asked! It took me 2 years to come up with that and I may be nuts, but it works for me! :cool2:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Highs - yeah it's a bright amp. On the ultra channel I have my treble between 0-2 and keep the presence off. To keep the low end tight I turn the resonance off, keep the bass at 9:00-10:00, and mids between noon and 2:00. I do not use the tone shift (button out).

I had my settings similar to that except I need the highs up higher or it loses it's edge and bite. I just need to round the highs off some and get rid of that honk thing I was talking about. The G12H100 did just that and tighted up the bottom, but unfortunately id added some thing else that the more I play it the more I realize I'm not going to be able to live with.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool man. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. Are you like me in thinking the 70/80 has some piercing highs? What is it you don't like about it? I would imagine the JJ you put in V1 took some of the edge off. i was going to try on, just to see what it was like after you talked about it, but it turns out I don't have one anymore.

It's not that I want to cut the highs, I just want to take the edge off, tighten up the bass and add some growl and warmth to the mids. (again, I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology)

I describe the highs as edgey - it's higher than a piercing sound, it's more edge to me. This wouldn't work for creamier-sustainy lead tones, but it does help retain clarity when rolling the guitar's volume down, and also helps keep the cleaner tones sparkling particularly with single coils.

I don't care for that edgey-ness myself, but I do kind accept it as a trade-off for clearer clean tones. But I also wonder if the treble is reduced when the amp is cranked past a certain point - why else would Marshall have made the amp so bright? I like sparkling clean/dirty rhythm tones, but a big fat sustainy lead - not creamy like I would describe Satriani, but fat/thick.

It'll be interesting how this topic pans out for other users over the next year or so.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I live on a plywood raised floor and when my amp is sitting directly on it the bass vibrates through the floor and rattles everything in the house. So, I have it sitting up on 12"x12" cement pavers stacked with 1/4" thick rubber pads in between them. It just cuts down on the vibration through the floor joists. lmao, I can't believe someone asked! It took me 2 years to come up with that and I may be nuts, but it works for me! :cool2:

Yeah I do that too in smaller rooms in the house - it rattles the windows, floor... when I play it in my guitar room where 8 acoustics are hanging on the wall, all the strings vibrate in sympathy and it's an interesting sound in the room. LOL!!

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my settings similar to that except I need the highs up higher or it loses it's edge and bite. I just need to round the highs off some and get rid of that honk thing I was talking about. The G12H100 did just that and tighted up the bottom, but unfortunately id added some thing else that the more I play it the more I realize I'm not going to be able to live with.

I wonder how a Vintage 30 would sound in it myself, I always liked those. Had 4x12 I wish I kept.