DSL40CR no power, warranty questions

• Thread starter Kerryfine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kerryfine

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a relatively new DSL40CR that I purchased in new condition from someone who was the original owner. The power crapped out on me when I turned it on yesterday (pilot light and all lights out). I have checked the power fuse and swapped it out with a new one without improvement. I doubt the power cable is the source as I keep it connected at all times to a surge protected extension cord which I switch off the power of when not in use (power strip still functioning and have tried other wall plugs).

The amp is still under manufacturer warranty and also has Guitar Center Pro coverage plan. I called the pro coverage and they state it will not take effect yet as the amp is still under warranty. I don’t want to open the chassis and risk voiding the warranty with my own troubleshooting. Marshall is closed for the weekend so I haven’t been able to reach them to make my claim until Monday.

I’m sure I will have to ship the amp back to Marshall, I am wondering how long this process usually takes as this is my only amp… Do you know of any alternative through Guitar Center or with this coverage that can help me get a working amp asap (obviously without buying a new one in the mean time)?

Jon Snell

Reaction score
There are two internal fuses and should be a mains protection fuse on the rear panel. Nowadays the fuse is within the IEC socket and replaceable via a slot that locks in when the IEC is connected.
Always check your mains lead!

PelliX

Reaction score
There should be at least 2 fuses.

Yes, but only one that prevents the power light (which is in the mains switch) from coming on - the mains protection fuse as Jon points out. There are more inside, as it happens.

The amp is still under manufacturer warranty and also has Guitar Center Pro coverage plan. I called the pro coverage and they state it will not take effect yet as the amp is still under warranty. I don’t want to open the chassis and risk voiding the warranty with my own troubleshooting. Marshall is closed for the weekend so I haven’t been able to reach them to make my claim until Monday.

Marshall *technically* have a non-transferable warranty... how that works in the US, I'm not sure. Best of luck.

Kerryfine

Reaction score
There appeared to be a spare fuse in the mains power fuse box (just under the mains power jack). I swapped the two though with still no power.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a relatively new DSL40CR that I purchased in new condition from someone who was the original owner. The power crapped out on me when I turned it on yesterday (pilot light and all lights out). I have checked the power fuse and swapped it out with a new one without improvement. I doubt the power cable is the source as I keep it connected at all times to a surge protected extension cord which I switch off the power of when not in use (power strip still functioning and have tried other wall plugs).

I’m sure I will have to ship the amp back to Marshall, I am wondering how long this process usually takes as this is my only amp… Do you know of any alternative through Guitar Center or with this coverage that can help me get a working amp asap (obviously without buying a new one in the mean time)?
If the warranty is registered under the sellers name its no good for you. If you checked the fuses already swap out the power tubes, thats the most likely culprit.

TheKman76

Reaction score
Consumer protection laws vary wildly by country, in Australia the original retailer can't refuse a warranty claim regardless of the owner.

Not sure where you live, so look into the consumer protect laws where you are.

Kerryfine

Reaction score
Im not sure the original owner even registered the amp to his name for the warranty.

I doubt it’s the power tubes because there’s no power getting to any part of the amp, no lights going on or even relay clicking when I switch the power on. Just plain dead
If the warranty is registered under the sellers name its no good for you. If you checked the fuses already swap out the power tubes, thats the most likely culprit

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Im not sure the original owner even registered the amp to his name for the warranty.

I doubt it’s the power tubes because there’s no power getting to any part of the amp, no lights going on or even relay clicking when I switch the power on. Just plain dead
That sounds like a fuse problem but you say you already changed it out. Did it make any noise or smoke when it died?

Kerryfine

Reaction score
That sounds like a fuse problem but you say you already changed it out. Did it make any noise or smoke when it died?
Nothing, I was playing it the night before without issue. Then the following day I turned on the power protector strip then amp power and nothing - no lights, no sound.