DSL40CR Sound went out turned off FX came back on

Max Gahne

Reaction score
The Ernie Ball pedal, isn't it available in both 250K and 25K? Which one are you using? I would think the 25K would work better in the FX loop but don't know. I think the DFX unit in the DSL series can encounter situations that make it need to be rebooted like any other digital gizmo. I think sometimes it can be figured out what's causing it to need to be rebooted and help keep it from happening. Like AdrianDSL said above, maybe an impedance issue or something is tripping it up.

Robert Machine

Reaction score
This might be important information, if it's happened twice with 2 different amps the might be some incompatibility with one or both pedals. To try and eliminate any obvious problems with the FX loop, unplug both pedals and see if you can replace them with something else, try to borrow an EQ or another boost. Maybe there's an impedance mismatch that's tripping the DSL in some funny way.

Thank you for your info. I much appreciate it. I will try that. It doesn't happen everytime. It happened once with the 1st amp & once with this amp. I should of thought to use my decibel meter to show how low the volume is. The camera didn't show how much it really dropped. I know the Erie Ball has an impedance switch. I just bought the delay right before the amp so it's worth a shot. Thanks!

Robert Machine

Reaction score
The Ernie Ball pedal, isn't it available in both 250K and 25K? Which one are you using? I would think the 25K would work better in the FX loop but don't know. I think the DFX unit in the DSL series can encounter situations that make it need to be rebooted like any other digital gizmo. I think sometimes it can be figured out what's causing it to need to be rebooted and help keep it from happening. Like AdrianDSL said above, maybe an impedance issue or something is tripping it up.

Yep the Erie Ball is 250K & 25K. I'm not sure which one I set it to. I remember did change it because I was having an issue with something being quiet. I found that strange since all my other rigs were opposite to what I set this one to. Thank you for the reply.

Max Gahne

Reaction score
I'm really not familiar with EB pedals but I haven't seen one with switchable impedance. Looking at their catalog the MVP is active, the VP models either 250K or 25K but none shown with switchable impedance. One VP model does have a switch but is for an amp control circuit. I'm not trying to argue, just asking if you're certain of that. Another EB VP pedal with a switch is 6165 which is stereo 500K and has a vol/pan switch. I suspect that would be the worst model to have in an FX loop.

Last edited:

Robert Machine

Reaction score
I'm really not familiar with EB pedals but I haven't seen one with switchable impedance. Looking at their catalog the MVP is active, the VP models either 250K or 25K but none shown with switchable impedance. One VP model does have a switch but is for an amp control circuit. I'm not trying to argue, just asking if you're certain of that. Another EB VP pedal with a switch is 6165 which is stereo 500K and has a vol/pan switch. I suspect that would be the worst model to have in an FX loop.

Thanks for commenting. I have the Ernie Ball VP Jr. 250k which has a micro taper switch which provides the user two distinct volume swell rates. Do you think it's the amp then? My return date is coming up soon. I've reached out to the district manager but I didn't hear anything back. I hate to be stuck with a lemon. I know the 1st 6 months with these amps had problems.

Max Gahne

Reaction score
I myself don't think it's the amp. The 250K pedal is intended for the guitar to run directly into it, not to be in the FX loop, and the processor in the amp isn't happy with it. I'd keep the amp and either run the guitar into the 250K pedal or look for a volume pedal more suited to the DSL's FX loop. But it's your money, your decision.

Last edited:

Robert Machine

Reaction score
I myself don't think it's the amp. The 250K pedal is intended for the guitar to run directly into it, not to be in the FX loop, and the processor in the amp isn't happy with it. I'd keep the amp and either run the guitar into the 250K pedal or look for a volume pedal more suited to the DSL's FX loop. But it's your money, your decision.

Thanks for thoughts. I have the volume pedal there for volume swells. I guess I'll look for another pedal.

Max Gahne

Reaction score
You might try calling Sweetwater's tech support - Sweetwater has a really good name. And tell them exactly what you have, amp and volume pedal. And get their recommendations on what pedal would work in the loop. You could probably call any tech support, GC or MF. I think people have been happy with the help at Sweetwater.

Robert Machine

Reaction score
You might try calling Sweetwater's tech support - Sweetwater has a really good name. And tell them exactly what you have, amp and volume pedal. And get their recommendations on what pedal would work in the loop. You could probably call any tech support, GC or MF. I think people have been happy with the help at Sweetwater.

Thanks! That was a great idea. I think I'll be ordering from Sweetwater anymore.