• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

DSL40CR Sounds Fizzy

• Thread starter assquatch20
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

assquatch20

Reaction score
So I just got this amp new and I'm not thrilled with the fizzy sound. I don't think I'm crazy about the V-Type speaker but I tried it with a Vintage 30 and it still had a bit of fizz to it, though the speaker is definitely part of the issue. I have another amp with a V-Type and it has some of that as well.

I got this amp after trying my buddy's modded DSL40C. It's got the C19 mod and a Vintage 30 and better tubes. I checked bias and it was right around 35 so I left it there after some experimenting.

I'm curious if I just need to do the appropriate mods or if I should be sending this amp back for a replacement. I've read where some have a similar complaint and others don't so I'm not sure if this is a flaw that some of these amps have or just a feature.

I'll use the buddy's amp for now but it has some tube rattle going on. Not sure if mine does or not. What should I be doing about mine though?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
One mans fizz is another mans zing!
I love my 40CR.
But if you can't dial in a tone you like with the DSL40CR then it may not be the amp for you.
Without a tone sample it is hard for anyone here to say whether the amp is defective.
A comparison test with another 40CR in the shop you bought it from would answer that.

Though it sounds like your buddy didn't exactly get along with the stock tones from the 40C!
New speaker, new tubes, and the C19 mod will significantly change the 40C's sound.
He certainly persevered with his DSL.

If you still can't get along with it then maybe the shop will exchange for something else?
But if you mod much further you may invalidate the warranty!

BTW I did swap out the speaker in my 40CR, mostly for the weight savings of a Neo magnet, and just because I could!
The G12CV I installed is in the same tonal ballpark as the V-Type (i.e. 'Mid' tamed V30).
I still run my DSL40CR with the V-Type in a 112 cab (i.e. 112 x 2).
No other mods, just an OD out front (for variation) and some EQ in the loop.

So good luck @assquatch20.

Last edited:

assquatch20

Reaction score
I was curious if there's been any reports of these amps having any issues from the factory. I think the amp is close to sounding really good but there's this sizzle on top that I'd like to see gone. I ordered the amp as I couldn't find any locally so that makes it a little tougher to return, but I suppose I could.

I'll try to get a cell video comparing the two amps if that'll help.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I have the dsl15c.......they are permanently wired for od2 from the factory....converting to od1 was mod one for me.....your amp don't need that with the switch.
But further more raising the v1b cathode resistor( r40 on my amp) from 1.8k to 4.7k was a magical change in gain reduction and fizz reduction. And changing the bright cap from 470pf down to 100pf got rid of the brightness and tamed the amp so the green and red channels balanced brightness wise.
So my suggestion would be swap bright cap to 100pf and v1b cathode resistor to between 2.7k and 4.7k depending on taste. Try a few different 12ax7s.
That said though......do you like the amp but think it's too bright and fizzy??? Or is it the overall tone you are not happy with??? In that case sell.

Timmy51

Reaction score
That’s why I sold my DSLs. I couldn’t take the fizz. It was thin fizz at that. I feel that if I buy a new amp, it shouldn’t require mods just to make it sound decent, except for maybe tubes.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
That’s why I sold my DSLs. I couldn’t take the fizz. It was thin fizz at that. I feel that if I buy a new amp, it shouldn’t require mods just to make it sound decent, except for maybe tubes.
True....but generally the amps that sound the way you want out of the box are at 2x to 3x the price + of a dsl.
So if a $750 amp + 2x $0.15 components gets you were you need to be.....its allot cheaper than say a $2500 amp......my .02

Last edited:

Timmy51

Reaction score
True.. you have a good point. I guess it just depends on the individual and what’s important to them and what they can afford. I think there’s probably some cases though we’re more money doesn’t necessarily mean better. I can’t think of any at the moment though. Lol. I guess what I mean is that sometimes you’re just paying a lot for the logo on the front.

True....but generally the amps that sound the way you want out of the box are at 2x to 3x the price + of a dsl.
So if a $750 amp + 2x $0.15 components gets you were you need to be.....its allot cheaper than say a $2500 amp......my .02

assquatch20

Reaction score
Well I've messed with the dials a bit and found some good sounds but I had to order some old GE 12ax7's and a new G12M-65. Gonna swap them out in the next day or two hopefully. The fizziness seemed to come on with gain so I'm hoping better preamp tubes will help. There's also some Siemens EL34's I might try in there.

matttornado

Reaction score
I just re-tubed my DSL40CR with four JJ 803s high gain pr-amp tubes and two Svetlana EL34s. Biased to 34 mA. Sounds Great! A little fizzy at lower volume levels but that's a DSL for ya. When I crank it for gigs, I really don't notice the fizziness. I use the 40 watt mode with the channels volumes past noon and the master(s) at noon usually.

I think the fizziness is the nature of the beast with these amps.

I'm not sure the fizziness has anything to do with the tubes or the speaker (the V-Type is an excellent sounding speaker), it's the pre-amp design IMO.

I plugged my 100 watt superlead into the V-type speaker for the fun of it and I couldn't get over how well it sounded. Next, I want a 2x12 cab with these speakers.

If anyone wants to sell their V-type speaker, let me know!

Last edited:

Crunchifyable

Reaction score

It's funny you should say that. But my frustration with Marshalls that don't sound like they should is what led me to Bugera. The 333XL has a better snarl and no fizz compared to the DSL, but the DSL has a better clean. In fact all Marshalls I've bought have great cleans. But the only ones without excessive fizz are probably Plexis or 800s, or variations of the two, that cost way too much anyway for what they are.

It's just frustrating when $5 in resistors and capacitors is basically the difference between a bad sounding amp and a good one.

Copperheadroads

Reaction score
So I just got this amp new and I'm not thrilled with the fizzy sound. I don't think I'm crazy about the V-Type speaker but I tried it with a Vintage 30 and it still had a bit of fizz to it, though the speaker is definitely part of the issue. I have another amp with a V-Type and it has some of that as well.

I got this amp after trying my buddy's modded DSL40C. It's got the C19 mod and a Vintage 30 and better tubes. I checked bias and it was right around 35 so I left it there after some experimenting.

I'm curious if I just need to do the appropriate mods or if I should be sending this amp back for a replacement. I've read where some have a similar complaint and others don't so I'm not sure if this is a flaw that some of these amps have or just a feature.

I'll use the buddy's amp for now but it has some tube rattle going on. Not sure if mine does or not. What should I be doing about mine though?
Are you playing it loud ? & how much gain ?

assquatch20

Reaction score
Are you playing it loud ? & how much gain ?

I have the channel volumes at 3 o'clock and the masters between noon and 3 so far. I've used the red classic and the green ultra mostly with the gain on the classic between 9 and noon and the ultra around 10 o'clock or so. If I use the cleanest channel I crank the gain. I can't really use the red ultra channel so far. It's just too much. The gain adds bass as well which is nice but the fizz...

It definitely gets better with volume but it's hard to get a high-gain lead sound without the fizziness. I almost wonder if I should try a 12AT7 but I think ultimately the bright cap(s?) might have to come out to get closer to what I'm wanting.

I would just return this amp and get a Blackstar like I was interested in but I like aspects of this Marshall. The MIDI thing is pretty cool though I could get by with a switcher and two channels, maybe an overdrive. I have a little Blackstar HT-5 "metal" version that's obviously better at sounding huge at low volume but I had assumed the DSL could get those tones. Heck, it kinda does get those tones, there's just a fizz on top.

I forgot to add that I've swapped the GE's in and it's a hair better but still there.

Latest posts