DSL40CR to 16ohm 1x12 Speaker

• Thread starter 6StringBotch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

6StringBotch

Reaction score
HI All-
New to the forum but have used it for a while to get some solid info. This time, I am a bit stumped so I'm calling for help.

A friend of mine recently gave me a 16ohm 150w 12" Eminence Swamp Thang speaker. I've head nothing but great things so I threw it into my DSL40CR. Now, I am left with the stock speaker so I took an old crate combo amp (GFX series from back in day) and created my own 1x12 cabinet using the stock 16ohm DSL40CR Celestion V Type speaker. So, I am left with a 16ohm speaker in the amp, and a 16ohm speaker in the cabinet.

My question is, what is the best way to rig the combo to the cabinet while getting the best use of both speakers? Is it even worth it?

Thanks for your help!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
HI All-
New to the forum but have used it for a while to get some solid info. This time, I am a bit stumped so I'm calling for help.

A friend of mine recently gave me a 16ohm 150w 12" Eminence Swamp Thang speaker. I've head nothing but great things so I threw it into my DSL40CR. Now, I am left with the stock speaker so I took an old crate combo amp (GFX series from back in day) and created my own 1x12 cabinet using the stock 16ohm DSL40CR Celestion V Type speaker. So, I am left with a 16ohm speaker in the amp, and a 16ohm speaker in the cabinet.

My question is, what is the best way to rig the combo to the cabinet while getting the best use of both speakers? Is it even worth it?

Thanks for your help!
:welcome: to the forum.
Plug each speaker directly into the one of the two 1x8 / 2x16 speaker jacks on the amp. (nothing should be connected to the Crate)
Yes, it's worth it.
More is more.

svinyard

Reaction score
I've run my DSL out to a 1965a cab and it was a serious improvement over just the combo. I bet an external cab would be great and that V-type should be good there!
HI All-

Thanks for your help!

:welcome: to the forum.
Plug each speaker into the one of the two 1x8 / 2x16 speaker jacks on the amp.
Yes, it's worth it.
More is more.

What would I do if I have a 8ohm external cab....and also the 16ohm combo?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've run my DSL out to a 1965a cab and it was a serious improvement over just the combo. I bet an external cab would be great and that V-type should be good there!

What would I do if I have a 8ohm external cab....and also the 16ohm combo?
You can do this with the CR, but not the C.
8 ohm into one of the 1x4 / 2x8 jacks (half load)
16 ohm into one of the 1x8 / 2x16 jacks (half load)
Two half loads on the OT.

svinyard

Reaction score
You can do this with the CR, but not the C.
8 ohm into one of the 1x4 / 2x8 jacks (half load)
16 ohm into one of the 1x8 / 2x16 jacks (half load)
Two half loads on the OT.
VERY cool!!! Thanks man. Now that you lay it out like that, it makes sense. I didn't I could split them up beyond just the normal 2x groupings. Super helpful

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I did a similar thing.
I bought a 16 ohm Neodymium speaker (Celestion G12 Century Vintage) for the 40CR, and put the V-Type in an unloaded Zilla 112 cab I found at my LGS.
Both speakers plugged into the 2x16 jacks (the pair next to the 1x16 jack), with the Zilla cab under the combo.
My Marshall DSL Mini-Stack.

6StringBotch

Reaction score
Thanks all for your quick and helpful responses!!

Lastly - the 1x12 cabinet (as of now) is open back. Give the Combo amp is also open, should I close up the cabinet or leave it open? I'm sure its a matter of preference but wasn't sure there was a rule of thumb or something.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 1x12 cabinet (as of now) is open back. Give the Combo amp is also open, should I close up the cabinet or leave it open? I'm sure its a matter of preference but wasn't sure there was a rule of thumb or something.
The rule is... whatever gets you the tone you want.
No harm in trying it closed to see if there's a difference you like.

Latest posts