DSL50 - 12au7 in V2

• Thread starter cliffenstein
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
I decided to replace my 1997 made DSL100 with a DSL50 (I'm getting more into 212 cabs and 50 watt heads give me more options). I got a good deal on a VERY CLEAN year 2000 model ($650 in 2023 dollars!). Got it home to put it through its paces. I live on the red channel 1 on these amps and this 50 is no different for me. At first it seemed much more thin and buzzy than I am used to. It didn't take much tone stack tweaking to rectify the situation...I had heard the 50 isn't quite as big on the bottom end as the 100's are so I wasn't surprised. I then biased the tubes to around 38 per side (38.2 on left and 38.5 on right). It was nice, but I wanted to get more usable gain sweep, so after watching a youtube video from Leon Todd, I put a 12AU7 in V2.

My word what a difference and what a sound now from this year 2000 DSL50! I'm running the gain on 6 and/or 7 (previously couldn't take it above 4) and can even take it to 8 or 9 and be okay. I can use lead 2 now for an overall thicker tone if I want (with gain at 4) and it's awesome.

I'm running all JJ's in the preamps (ECC83S, ECC82, ECC83S, E83CC) and TAD EL34B-STR's in the power.

This amp just flat out rules!

Last edited:

What?

Reaction score
Biggest issue for me with the red channel is a synthetic sort of compressed mid. I'm not a fan of it. Once my ear dialed in on it, I couldn't unhear it. Then too much gain. Then not enough meat in the bottom. Pretty positive that I would be happier with a 2203/4. Last local 2203 I saw up for sale was $2k with a cab, but it was fairly beat up.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
Biggest issue for me with the red channel is a synthetic sort of compressed mid. I'm not a fan of it. Once my ear dialed in on it, I couldn't unhear it. Then too much gain. Then not enough meat in the bottom. Pretty positive that I would be happier with a 2203/4. Last local 2203 I saw up for sale was $2k with a cab, but it was fairly beat up.
I understand the sentiment which is odd because it's all tubes. I like my 2500 MKIII better which has diodes but somehow sounds completely organic. I find that once dialed in these DSL's are quite awesome though.

Have you seen this?

Lowest price I've seen on one in ages. You just have to be okay with no tolex and no logo. Which are issues that can obviously be rectified.

What?

Reaction score
I understand the sentiment which is odd because it's all tubes. I like my 2500 MKIII better which has diodes but somehow sounds completely organic. I find that once dialed in these DSL's are quite awesome though.

Have you seen this?

Lowest price I've seen on one in ages. You just have to be okay with no tolex and no logo. Which are issues that can obviously be rectified.
Yea, prices on 800's are nuts today. That thing is pretty light on info and pics to throw any money at. And honestly, I'll likely end up going for another Ceriatone for a 2203/4. I know that Nik's shop builds good stuff and for a good price. My plexi clone from him has been solid.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
I went back to regular old JJ EL34's in the power section and now have JJ ECC83S in all preamp slots except for V2, which is a JJ ECC82 (12AU7). Red channel 1 with gain on 5 is now a dead ringer for my two 2204 clones.

QUESTION...will a JJ ECC823 in V2 keep things as they are while taking the green channel back to stock sound (some usable gain)? Anyone here ever done this?

Last edited:

nortiks

Reaction score
I went back to regular old JJ EL34's in the power section and now have JJ ECC83S in all preamp slots except for V2, which is a JJ ECC82 (12AU7). Red channel 1 with gain on 5 is now a dead ringer for my two 2204 clones.

QUESTION...will a JJ ECC823 in V2 keep things as they are while taking the green channel back to stock sound (some usable gain)? Anyone here ever done this?

Put the ECC832 in V1 to keep the green channel stock and lower gain in the red channel. I just did this on my year 2000 DSL50 (with bias and hum issues repaired) today and really really like it. Fortunately I found a strong used JJ for $15 delivered to try it out and liked it so much I immediately dropped $45 for a used-tests-as-NOS+ Telefunken. If you're a rock player that likes good note articulation and definition in the drive channel, its definitely worth trying out imo.

[edit] Its also worth trying a 12AT7 or 12AU7 as the PI tube if you feel the power tubes are getting hammered too much for the tone you're wanting. I put a 12AU7 in the PI on my Laney and I'll never use anything else. Haven't tried it yet on the DSL50 but likely will once I get the Telefunken ECC832 in and have the back open for that. My gut feel is the 12AT7 is going to be the way to go on it.

Last edited: