• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Electric players - your favorite cheap acoustic?

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Got those already...

But in London, one of my favourite things to do is to browse through the west-end music shops. And it's a much more meaningful exercise if you go with a MISSION!

The classic area to explore is around Denmark St in the West end. It's not quite what it once was, but it still has eye-candy.

But my inexpensive Reso come from Hobgoblin Music in Rathbone Place, a few minutes walk away near Soho. It's a very cool shop to explore interesting acoustic instruments, and I spent an enjoyable hour playing there. Being part of a national chain, prices are quite reasonable.

It travelled back with me safely to Aus and it's now my favourite non-electric player. I'd like to put a P90 in there...and maybe a lav mic....
I used to live in London, spent a lot of time around Denmark St, British Museum,
bookshops like Treadwells and Atlantis, Forbidden Planet.

Last time I saw Denmark St it was largely closed down because of major rail works,
I have heard its back but have not seen it recently.

Funny old place the internet, you chat to someone 1000 miles away and find you have a lot in common.

BlueX

Reaction score
Esteve 655 nylon string. Not expensive, but has solid spruce top and sounds good. Had it for many years, and play it regularly: mainly classic and fingerpicking blues, not so much flamenco nowadays (unfortunately). I've been looking for a better (more expensive) one, but the selection is tiny around here. Haven't found anyone that made it home with me, yet, and this is not the type of gear I buy online.

Furch D20-CM steel string. Solid cedar top and solid mahogany body. Has a very nice sound, but is a bit difficult to play (don't know why). Had a cheap Washburn for many years. Solid spuce top and sounded very good. It was also extremely easy to play, almost played itself. Unfortunately that solid top cracked one cold winter when it was really dry air inside (if that's the reason). Still haven't found another guitar that's so easy and nice to play.

Acoustics.jpg

Last edited:

Audrix

Reaction score
AZ acoustic Jumbo $100 in 2010 with strap and bag
Sounds ok because jumbo (of course a Gibson SJ200 is better but the low frequencies are great on this cheap AZ guitar)
Sill stays in tune if it stays in the same room
Without electronics
Cheap tuners but stays in tune
The neck shape is ok for me
The frets are not very comfortable : it could be improved with tools by a good Professional luthier, but it's not a priority
I never had to modify the trussrod setting and the action is ok

Attachments

• AZ jumbo.jpg
    AZ jumbo.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 3

telemarshall

Reaction score
When we were coming out of Covid lockdowns, my band was offered a couple of small pub gigs. I needed an acoustic.

At my local store I found a used, like new, Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE Acoustic/ Electric. It was about $700 CAD (about $500 US I guess).

I think it's a great guitar.

A pic I stole off Sweetwater:

13112313972-front-large-467x700.jpg
I've got two Epi Masterbilts (a DR500 MCE and a DR400 MCE). Yep, fantastic acoustics that won't break the bank.

X0V8BOO.jpg

Karl Brake

Reaction score
If you can find a 300 series Yamaha made in Japan, they play fast, stay in tune, and have surprisingly good depth for the basic quality of wood they used. Well made, and pretty darned bullet proof. Not the resonance of my Martin, but a helluva a lot of fun to play. Fat frets make it feel like an electric. Run it through a modern pa with a little bit of chorus, and, Bazinga!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The only acoustic guitar I own is a 18" full hollowbody acoustic archtop, (Gibson Super 400 class) which I built for myself in 2002. I'm just not much of an acoustic player. But that's a hell of a guitar! My oldest brother ended up with my father's 1964 Gibson J-45. Which to me, is the sound that a flattop acoustic is supposed to have. My brother SHOULD have that guitar, and I said so in no uncertain terms. There are no hard feelings about him getting it.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a new 1974 Guild D35 right after I graduated high school in 74, 50 years later I still have it.

I played a bunch of acoustics at the store, including Gibson’s and Martins, ( I don’t believe Taylor was around then, don’t recall).

The Guild was head and shoulders above the Gibson and the Martin, it was the best acoustic in the store, in tone and playability.

In those days Guilds were made in the US in Westerly RI.

Last edited:

Latest posts