Em Blues #2 - Fender American Deluxe Strat Hss (evh) With Jcm 800 2203x

• Thread starter dptone5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dptone5

Reaction score
Here is my 2nd thread on this topic. Same friend who is a student studying sound engineering and recording at college, came to my place and we recorded take 2 with this blues backing track using my MacBook Pro and Logic Pro X. He did all the mixing. Two SM-57's used in front of my 1960BX with 25 Watt Greenbacks.

Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS. N3 Noiseless in neck and middle. EVH Wolfgang Bridge. Marshall JCM 800 2203X. No overdrive pedal used until the last section of the track, where I kicked in the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 using the bridge pickup and the S1 switch engaged.

Started with S1 switch not engaged, with the neck position and worked down to bridge position, changing at the end of each blues progression. After playing bridge pickup, switched back to the neck and engaged the S1 switch and worked way back to bridge. Played bridge twice at end, once straight into the JCM 800 and the last time adding the Fulltone as a boost.

This was a one take recording just for fun and to see how each pickup combination sounds. I really like the the way the 800 sounds without an OD pedal through Greenbacks.

We really toned down the delay and reverb. I think the FX sound really nice, but the overall track may lack some of the volume/presence/energy of the first one we did at his home studio using ProTools. I also did not play this take as well unfortunately.

The N3 pickups sound awesome IMHO. I really like the tone of the middle pickup, especially with the S1 switch engaged. There are a lot of great tones in this American Deluxe. The EVH Wolfgang in the bridge is a nice improvement over the original Atomic humbucker.

S1 Not Engaged:
Neck - 0:00 to 0:31
4 - 0:32 to 1:03
Middle - 1:04 to 1:35
2 - 1:36 to 2:07
Bridge - 2:08 to 2:39

S1 Engaged:
Neck - 2:40 to 3:11
4 - 3:12 to 3:44
Middle - 3:45 to 4:16
2 - 4:17 to 4:48
Bridge - 4:49 to 5:20
Bridge with OD - 5:21 to 6:03

Hope you enjoy the track my friends and any feedback will be appreciated!!

DP

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
Some nice laid-back playing my friend, very cool. :cheers:

Great sounding tone with this setup, well done. :dude:

dreyn77

Reaction score
I'm enjoying it, but its competing against the JTM late 90's series sounds and they're more clear than these tones you have in use here.

Your pickup customising is competing with marshalls amp customising and guys who have the amp customising can tell the difference in your sounds.
We must give marshall credit for knowing all there is to know about impedance. They are the masters and a pickup swap is inferior to the amp mod and marshall knows this fact.

800's with custom pickups is inferior to the next marshall amp model.
This is what James hetfield was trying to get people to understand a LONG time ago!
The amp company must be sort out and you must learn their experience cause THEY KNOW.

The late 90's JTM has its unique place in the Marshall lineup and you can't deny it, it's custom sounds.
Don't try and beat the masters at their own game! Don't try using products designed for other things and seek to beat marshall at customising marshalls own sound.
If you want to mod the 800, then you just buy the JTM60.

Bear R.

Reaction score
Very Good Guitar Playing DP...Your Tone is Incredible...Good Job buddy..

Keep on Posting those Killer Jamz man..:yesway:

Last edited:

fat_lenny

Reaction score
Id have never thought of using a JCM800 for a blues sound, but that tone is great. Really enjoyed the playing as well.

Very much a lesson for me in not being narrow-minded on what gear can do.

dptone5

Reaction score
Thanks guys for listening and commenting. I really love the 2203X. Great tone and sounds very good at low volumes. I generally keep the MV at 0.5 when I'm playing and try to keep the dB's around 85 as I sit right in front of the two 4 x 12's. When I recorded this, the MV was around 3.0 or so. Certainly not cranked.

JParry335

Reaction score
And once again you've done a great job of bringing really nice tones and playing to the table!:dude:
You say you didn't do as well as the first go around but I disagree.
We are our own worst critics and I know, you know every detail of every note that may or may not have been what you intended but in the end, for the listener, it sounds wonderful!
Nice sounds and chops!

dptone5

Reaction score
And once again you've done a great job of bringing really nice tones and playing to the table!:dude:
You say you didn't do as well as the first go around but I disagree.
We are our own worst critics and I know, you know every detail of every note that may or may not have been what you intended but in the end, for the listener, it sounds wonderful!
Nice sounds and chops!

You are very kind my good friend. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I appreciate it much.

DP

aryasridhar

Reaction score
I heard both your clips, but commenting here, the tone is so full and soothing to the ears, dig your playing, sounded brilliant...if only I could play half as good!!

Fantastic Job!! Looking forward to some more clips!!

dptone5

Reaction score
Thank you aryasridhar and Vin for your kind words. I am really starting to get into the blues at 50 years old!! Never really thought a JCM 800 would be the go-to amp, but with the American Deluxe Strat, the tones are just so sweet.

Appreciate you both taking the time to listen!! :h5:

Ghostman

Reaction score
Very fine playing DP! Loved the tone, and bring up the backing track a bit to mix in with your lead, I'd say that's a Record Release worthy track.

Loved every bar of it bud!!

dptone5

Reaction score
Thanks for listening and the good feedback Ghostman!! You are very kind sir!!

DP