Epi Lp Pick Up Suggestions

• Thread starter Jrocker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jrocker

Reaction score
I have an Epi Custom Classi Pro LP and was thinking of possibly swapping the pups in it but not sure what I should put in it. Now I have several other guitars, most are Ibanez and also a couple of Dean guitars. I have only swapped out pups in my ibby's so I have used mostly Dimarzio pups in those guitars. My Epi came with gibson 490 and 498t's in it but for some reason they just kinda lack something. Not sure what it is. Anyway I was thinkng maybe some Duncans or maybe Dimarzios but wanted to know what guys put in their pauls or if they just go stock? Also, not interested in active pups, already have a couple of guitars that have them. They are great but I just tend to like passive pups better. Any suggestions? I play classic metal type of original material.

Conghaille

Reaction score
I put Gibson Classic 57/Plus pickups in mine. Just love it now.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Let me give you some sound advice while possibly saving you some $$$. I have a similar issue with a Seymour Duncan 59' humbucker set. The lows and highs are fine but lacking in "mids". I was aware of 1) magnet swaps 2) slug and screw swaps 3) coil swaps. Although it hadn't really entered my mind until I was perusing the Seymour Duncan forum and went, "Oh Yeah!!! I completely forgot about these options!!!"

Going back over the Seymour Duncan threads as well as others pertaining to the subject, there are a wealth of options available w/o spending the big bucks. As a matter of fact, Seymour Duncan himself has profited from the experimental side of his forum members with the 59'/CC Hybrid and other hybrid humbuckers. The simplest and cheapest mod is to swap bar magnets which are easy. I personally ordered two UOA5 roughcast magnets from Addiction-FX for my Seymour Duncan 59' humbucker set due this Friday 7/15/16.

The UOA5 magnets will effectively bring back my lost mids. I intend on doing this much more as I have a wealth of Gibson 57' Classics and Gibson BB Pro humbuckers from swaps that i've done to my Gibson guitars. Hell, there are even guys who swap in vintage slug/screw polepieces into their Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbuckers for a more "vintage correct" sound.

OP, my advice to you is to figure what it is about your sound (humbucker) that you don't like and do some reading up on magnet swaps to determine what magnet(s) will best suit/serve your purposes. Anyways, who in the hell has the time or money to invest in a project that may not possibly work out for you, and then you've spent that money and time all for naught?

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
What amp are you using?
What is lacking?

I have the same guitar and actually like those pickups in it..

For my Gibson Les Paul's I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion 3 in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck...great metal combo and the neck stays clean and clear.
I also play metal and use a modded jvm410.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan Custom (lots of bite and a fat sound), Custom 5 (alnico sound with more output), or Distortion (extremely hot and bright) in the bridge, '59 in the neck.

Or a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, and a 36th Anniversary in the neck.

Trophlin

Reaction score
Check out the Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker set. A lot of people are raving about them in LP's (especially for the classic sound). I will be installing a WLH in the neck and a Custom in the bridged with Jimmy Page wiring in my 335.

Latest posts