Epiphone 1959 les paul vs gibson tribute

• Thread starter tannerb13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tannerb13

Reaction score
i recently got a DSL20 and a mx212ar and im planning to put V30s in it. i've always loved the sound from les paul's, and with my only guitars being a strat and a tele, it's definitely the next for my collection. i've done research into both the epiphone 1959 les paul and the gibson tribute les paul, and was wondering if there's enough improvement to justify the price difference? personally i don't really mind epiphone being on the headstock, i just want a good sounding guitar. thanks

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i recently got a DSL20 and a mx212ar and im planning to put V30s in it. i've always loved the sound from les paul's, and with my only guitars being a strat and a tele, it's definitely the next for my collection. i've done research into both the epiphone 1959 les paul and the gibson tribute les paul, and was wondering if there's enough improvement to justify the price difference? personally i don't really mind epiphone being on the headstock, i just want a good sounding guitar. thanks
I've never owned an Epi, but I've heard good things about the build quality and playability.
I do have a Gibson Tribute honeyburst, and it's probably my most played guitar.
The Epi has some nice cosmetics for the price, like fretboard and body bindings you'll only see on higher priced Gibson models.
Some of the main differences in the price are from hardware like pups, bridge and tuners.
And I'm not trying to start a debate, but country of origin is another cause for a price difference, if that matters to you.

tannerb13

Reaction score
I've never owned an Epi, but I've heard good things about the build quality and playability.
The Epi has some nice cosmetics for the price, like fretboard and body bindings you'll only see on higher priced Gibson models.
Some of the main differences in the price are from hardware like pups, bridge and tuners.
And I'm not trying to start a debate, but country of origin is another cause for a price difference, if that matters to you.
thank you. the main thing that i think draws most people to the 59 is the included hard shell case, but as someone who rarely takes his guitar anywhere besides from one side of his bedroom to the other, i don't think it's really that much of a must have

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank you. the main thing that i think draws most people to the 59 is the included hard shell case, but as someone who rarely takes his guitar anywhere besides from one side of his bedroom to the other, i don't think it's really that much of a must have
Every guitar - same brand, same model - is different.
If you can try both local, I'd recommend that as the best way to make a choice.
See for yourself if the Gibson is worth $400 more to you.
Don't think about the price or the resale value, or what the talking heads on the internet say.
Buy a guitar that speaks to you, and you'll never regret it.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
If you buy the Epi, you'll most likely wonder if you should have went with the Gibson, but if you go with the Gibson, the Epi will most likely be an afterthought. That's not to say Epi doesn't make some really cool guitars, but when talking Les Paul, the one you likely really want / lust over is the Gibson.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
The inspired by Gibson Epiphones are highly regarded by many. I've only played a couple and they were great.

I own an "inspired by" Custom and love it. Gibson isn't even on my radar. I guess the best thing is to go play some if you can.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I think you'd have to play them side by side to choose. The Epiphone 1959 does have the Gibson pickups in it if I remember right. The case is also a bonus if you want one.

What it really comes down to for me is usually the neck shape. That's why I usually go for the Gibson. That is not a better or worse thing, just a preference thing.

I believe the Gibson often has better hardware on it. I prefer the factory Gibson bridge and tailpiece to an Epiphone by far.

I assume we are talking buying new here ? I bet there is Tribute out there with very little play time somewhere out there. Just food for thought.

As far as Epiphone goes, they have really stepped up their game in the last couple of years.

The older Epiphone Les Paul's had this neck shape that wasn't for me.

Try one out in person if you can!

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
What it really comes down to for me is usually the neck shape.

BAM!

------------

Since you're a "bedroom" player and don't care about the name on the headstock, I'd start with the Epi. I have a 2016 LP Custom PRO and I don't have a single bad thing to say about it; absolutely flawless. The only thing I might not like about it is the neck. I'm not sure what it is, but I just couldn't fully come to like it.

Of course, I'm comparing it to my Gibson SG which has the 12" Slim Taper, and that thing is like butter; absolutely perfect. There's just something about a Gibson neck that when you pick it up, it just falls right into your hands. That's how my SG is with me.

Like Loudness said above, that's pretty much what it comes down to with me; the neck, and that's just a personal-preference thing, not a flaw with the guitar itself. In fact, you may actually prefer the Epi over the Gibson. Other than that, the Epi LP is absolutely flawless; a very nice machine. Yes, the hardware is generally a step below most Gibsons, but that's also why there's a difference in price.

Again, I would start with the Epi, and if you're satisfied with it, don't look back. The Epi is a great machine and don't feel for a second that you're "settling" for the cheaper option.

P.S. - Unfortunately what @crossroadsnyc said is 100% accurate. No matter how much you love and gel with the Epi, you'll eventually be wondering...lol.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I vote Gibson. Epi gives you more bling in the finish bells and whistles stuff But Gibsons tribute/faded etc.. lines tend temd to give you the Heart of the tone. The resonation the feel etc... in a striped down version IMHO I have an Epi Inspred by Gibson SG and a Gibson faded SG.... I take the Gibson 9x out of 10

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
Learning a song tonight and picked the Epi outta the case thinking of this thread.......frankly I dont put it back only cause Im too lazy to grab another guitar right now. Its meh......feels meh........dont suck bu......meh...Pickup the Gibson and I usually get yelled at that my few minutes has turned into 2 1/2 hrs of playing.

Crikey

Reaction score
Ive got the 1959 epi paul cherry burst
It has us burstbuckers, i think.
I love it. I previously had a 72 goldtop cutom with 90s.
The Epi is a really good guitar and value. I buy guitars i can gig with.
Museum pieces dont interest me and its all just wood and wire and vanity. Seriously , play both side by side and blindfolded. Same amp same settings.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Tribute 100%. I have a 2016 gold top, and I love it.

You'll be getting a great, no-frills Les Paul that just rocks, feels great and plays great. With Epiphones.. I don't know, I could talk about them all day, but I just fing them to be polished turds. Yeah, there's an ok one here and there, but every part on them is cheap, the frets are small and often have sharp ends, the electronics, nut material and cut always need replaced, I had two that had wonky necks and maxed out truss rods. Just by a Gibson and you won't have to deal with any of that.

I don't know how much Gibson might have strayed from the original recipe by now, as they usually do, but they're chambered guitars. You may need to sift through a few to make sure you get one that's not so light that it's neck heavy. Get one that's at least 8lbs (or at least doesn't neck-dive when you use it standing up with a strap, and isn't so light that it feels like a toy), and get one that sounds good to you, especially for all of the sounds you plan to get from it through your DSL20. I have owned a few of them, and have tried others as well, and because of the chambering, some can sound thin. But if you get a good one (the most common scenario), they can sound incredible. I had one that had so much vocal expression that it practically "whistled" when soloing past the 12th fret - you'd have to hear and experience it yourself to believe it. And the notes would bloom into a beautiful feedback. I didn't realize until I got it home that the neck was too heavy with a strap on, so I returned it - the Vinsanitizer does not tolerate any neck dive on his guitars.

My current gold top has the 490R/498T pickups in it, and it just sounds so "rock n roll": big booming punch, classic Les Paul mids, and a clear top-end that's not dark, thin or shrill.

I mentioned here a few things to look out for, but don't let that be off-putting. Such things apply to all guitars, especially Gibsons, and even the Custom Shop Historic 1959's need sifting through, it's always been that way.

These are my Les Pauls, the Tribute's on the right.
(There's too much red in this photo - for example, the R9 is not that dark, and the R8, has almost no red in-person.)

1676486485085.jpeg

Last edited:

BRMarshall

Reaction score
The advice about playing both if possible is probably the best way to go for all of us. I have two 2014 Gibson LPs - Studio and Traditional. I think the Studio is similar to the Tribute (has coil splitting) with 490 R & T pickups. It’s a great guitar. This past January I bought a Epi Special TV Yellow and 50s Standard mostly because I didn’t have a P90 guitar and just plain curious. The 50s Standard is closest to the 59 with the 59 being a step up, especially with the BB pups. Both Epiphones are very well built, play well and doing very good.

So, which to choose? Again, play both if you can. Fender puts its name on both American and Mexican made guitars, Gibson doesn’t. I kind of look at the Inspired by line of Epis like the Mexican Fenders. A previous post addressed the idea that if you buy the 59, will you still wonder about the Gibson but with the Tribute that thought may be less present. Either way, you should end up with a great guitar and a new flavor in your arsenal - best of luck.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
The Epiphone is objectively better in many ways. "Better" pups - Burstbuckers vs 490R/T - obviously a preference item, but Burstbuckers have more cachet. Electronics the same or better than the Tribute. More desirable gloss finish and flame top, vs a satin plaintop. Binding vs. no binding. And I assume a neck that wont snap if you look at it wrong. Oh - it's also $400 less.

I would still get the Tribute. As long as you like the feel and how it plays. After a couple years, if you feel it's lacking sell it for $900 and buy that Epi - now used - for $500. You'll only be out the price of the new Epi. But I'm thinking you'd keep the Tribute.

JasKo57

Reaction score
I personally would get a GIBSON' Les Paul Standard over a tributes, or any classics,except for the Gibson Les Paul Custom, which Is my #1,then I have A Standard, Price wise,look you going to have it for the rest of your life, and the Epiphone pickups they do not have the output like Gibson sounds,, Epiphone's Pro Buckers are weak sounding no balls,, comparing to the Gibson guitars, but remember you can always change the sound of a guitar, swapping pickups, but the wiring ,& capacitors in Gibson's made are much Superior, over Epiphone guitars. Good Luck ! May the guitar God's steer you in the direction desired!!!

Latest posts