EQ pedal or boost to tighten up dsl?

• Thread starter rufusjfisk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rufusjfisk

Reaction score
I have yet another question that may be a solution when tightening up my bottom end of my dsl 50. Would a good eq in the fx loop do the trick? I was thinking of getting the mercury magnetic OT and/or choke upgrade in the new year, but if a good eq in the effects loop or a low noise boost/od can do the trick i'd go that route.

My brains tells me a few things:

1. OCD or Fat Boost 3, or a Fish N Chips EQ in the loop.
2. MM OT and coke upgrade

decisions decisions

blarg

jaek

Reaction score
Hmm well I have the MM Output transformer but not the choke and mines very tight on the bass side. HOWEVER putting things in the EQ such as my MXR 10 band EQ results in a huge tone loss. AND highers the volume way up with the frequencys you change, which is really annoying, so how I tighten up the bass is with a OD and output set to max and gain set to none, really does the trick.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree the fish and chips or the MXR 10 band don't tighten things up like a good boost set the right way. I have both.

The OCD is too bassy in my opinion. I have the V4. Its sweet spot is narrow others may think differently. There is a boost thread here. You may want to visit it. The Dano I already mentioned is much better than the OCD. I can't speak about the Fat Boost 3 I've never played one.

http://www.marshallforum.com/tone-z...erdrive-clean-boost-your-marshall-thread.html

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with jaek, I've tried both a vintage MXR 10-band and a Fish-n-Chips in the loop and they are tone suckers. I've had better results with a parametric EQ - much smoother tone without the boomy bass and bacon-frying treble boost you get with a graphic EQ.

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
Quite a few people who have upgraded their DSL/TSL amps with the MM OT + choke have reported huge tonal improvements. If you decide to go that route, I can get you a good deal on both the OT and choke.

Also, I know you're in PA but if it's not much trouble to ship it I can also do the upgrade for you for an awesome deal as well.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
1. OCD or Fat Boost 3, or a Fish N Chips EQ in the loop.
2. MM OT and coke upgrade

If you do the Coke upgrade, make sure you get the Classic Coke. Diet Coke will sound thin and Cherry Coke will completely color the tone of the amp. :lol:

Seriously though, which channel are you trying to tighten up. Is it note definition, low end, mids? A choke can help in the low end dept and a good OT can make a noticeable difference.

zeusecho

Reaction score
Quite a few people who have upgraded their DSL/TSL amps with the MM OT + choke have reported huge tonal improvements. If you decide to go that route, I can get you a good deal on both the OT and choke.

Also, I know you're in PA but if it's not much trouble to ship it I can also do the upgrade for you for an awesome deal as well.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

PMed...:wave:

rufusjfisk

Reaction score
i tried out an older version of the jekkyl and hide pedal at Guitar Center on a JCM 2000 dsl with the same cb that i have and i really loved how it sounded with the overdrive and distortion both on at the same time. It's 70 used, so im going to purchase it and see what its like on my personal jcm2000. I get 30 days to return it, so it cant hurt.

ken361

Reaction score
I dont think my 10 band sucks tone, I have it in the loop, sounds better then the stock when i compare it on and off it brings more power and clarity.:wtf:

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
You're right, that probably wasn't the best way to say that. To be fair, it's not the pedal that sucks tone so much as the DSL effects loop itself. I never thought that the MXR EQ pedal was able to make up for the difference in tone that engaging the effects loop caused. I have used the MXR in front of the amp and it sounds fine. I think there was a different opamp in the loop on the earlier DSLs (like mine) that was noisy and just didn't sound good with anything. Someone on here came up with a mod to fix the problem IIRC.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
I like the MXR 10 band plugged into the effects on my DSL 100. Sounds better in the back than in the front. Just my opinion.