Ernie Ball's strings types

• Thread starter Khaos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Khaos

Reaction score
Hi there.

Yeah, I'm just another guy trying to improve my tone. So I think I found a gauge that I like so next I'll move to the strings materials.
I've choosen Ernie Balls as my main strings brand, my question is: for those of you who are familiar with Ernie Balls, could you tell me the difference between theire different kinds of strings?

I have a basic knowladge about them, but I'd like some more opinions?

As far as I know:
Nickel Wound:Are just theire basic string type good for everthing.
Coated/Titanium: They're design to resist to corrosion and I think theire better for heavier sounds.
Reinforced:They seem as the predecessor of the titanium strings. Maybe theire sound isn't as dark as the coated ones.
Pure Nickel:Don't know much about this ones.
Stainless Steel:Also don't know about this.However due to being made of steel they may not be as bright as the other strings.

I was wondering what you be the tonal differences between them? But more intrigued about the diffrences between the nickel wound and the pure nickels?

Khaos

Reaction score
I like Ernie Ball strings. This attachwed page below should answer many of your questions.

David :cheers:

Ernie Ball | Products
Yeah I've been reading stuff in theire site FAQ. Thanks for the link.
But I was kinda looking for people's opinions. Just to see in which types of music people use them.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've been reading stuff in theire site FAQ. Thanks for the link.
But I was kinda looking for people's opinions. Just to see in which types of music people use them.

I use them across the board from 80's hair metal style to clean Blues. Quality product IMO.

David :wave:

Adwex

Reaction score
....I was wondering what you be the tonal differences between them? But more intrigued about the diffrences between the nickel wound and the pure nickels?

The "nickel wound" are a steel core wrapped with a nickel plated steel wire.

The "pure nickels" are a steel core wrapped in solid nickel wire.

This of course this difference only applies to the wound strings, the plain strings are just steel wire.

The pure nickels are said to have a "warmer" tone. I've used them alot, the difference is subtle, especially since you can't really compare them easily. They cost a little more too.

Frankie

Reaction score
I use nickel strings on my Fenders since they're bright. Nickel on a Telecaster or Stratocaster sounds good, on Gibsons and other 'bucker guitars they're a little too mild sounding. I use nickel/steel strings on my Gibsons, and by nickel/steel I mean regular old Power Slinkys. I love Ernie Balls, they're really just as good as boutique strings (I used to use LaBella and Snake Oil), but you can get 'em everywhere and they're cheap. The stainless strings will actually be very bright as steel is more magnetic than nickel, and that's what makes your pickups do what they do.

Another cool winding is flat wounds, but I don't know if Ernie Ball makes those. They're even mellower than Nickel and sound great on an overly bright guitar or on a jazz box. I keep my ES-295 strung up with D'Addario flatwounds and it's jazzlicious!

Khaos

Reaction score
Thanks for the advices.It complemented the info on theire site.
Maybe I'll try the pure nickel sometime.
So if steel is more magnetic that nickel, maybe the pure nickel ones are slightly darker in tone?
But maybe like Adwex said, maybe the difference isn't that noticeable?
Anyway between the pure nickels and the nickel wounds which would sound for classic rock, blues,psychedelic rock, you know that older stuff?Pure nickels?

diesel king

Reaction score
Great strings, i've used nickel wound 10 - 52's for as long as I can remember, blues to heavy metal

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Ernie Balls are good. To my ears, the nickel plated steel strings are good and are very bright. I prefer the pure nickel strings because the wound strings are a little easier on my frets and are not too bright. If I play slide guitar, I'd probably go with nickel plated steel. I also use the reinforced nickel plated steel because I like having that extra bit of security on the plain strings (I've had some EB nickel plated steel strings break right at the ball end too many times.

Martin used to make strings for electric guitar a few years ago (they came in a very cool translucent, multi-colored box); those Martins electric guitar strings were the best strings I've ever played. I wish they still made them!

Frankie

Reaction score
Exactly, pure nickels aren't as bright or quite as punchy as nickel/steel, that's why they work good on Strats and Teles.