Everything and Anything About Speakers

• Thread starter MartyStrat54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hillcountry

Reaction score
It is all good man thanks-nice to meet you too! And true enough...Marty is the man.

I love this place!
-Hillcountry

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Go to this website for all feasible wiring diagrams.

Jumbo Sunshade - Speaker Wiring Diagrams

This is Parallel/Series:

swd4by16ps16.jpg

This is Series/Parallel. There is a difference:

swd4by16sp16.jpg

Steve0525

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm getting ready to re-wire my 70's Marshall 4x12 with G12M's (16 O) which for whatever reason is at 4 ohms. I want it to be 16 Ohms, and was going to use series/Parallel. Would it be smarter to do parallel/series? I want it to be a universal cab for my 800/900. any help is appreacited

Steve0525

Reaction score
Just opened up my cab, and sure enough, wired Parallel. glad I stopped using it when I did. 4 ohm load on a 4x12....sigh

Tim.

Reaction score
holy cow there are so many kinds of speakers!
what do you guys suggest for someone who plays stuff like led zep, alice in chains, bonjovi, ac/dc, white stripes, classic rock and grunge stuff?

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
I have used Celestion Greenbacks, cane front, 1960B cab. Great midrange, warm bottom, kinda flabby bottom actually, but nice woody tones. Pretty much it for Rock in the 70's to tame down non-master Marshalls.
I have used Celestion G12-65, cane front, 1960A cab. Very midrangey speakers, smooth highs, but I got lost in the mix. I don't see the fascination with these speakers or their high prices on eBay.
I have a Carvin GX412T cab, all marine Baltic birch wood, metal grill, metal handles, black tolex, built like a brick s#&%house, but weighs 95 lbs. Loaded with Celestion Rocket 50's, for some amps these speakers suck, but for a vintage 1986 Carvin X-100B amp they work very well to add some grit to the 6L6GC tubes.
I have the standard Marshall 1960B cab, loaded with Celestion G12T-75's. It has somewhat scooped mids, smooth highs, and tight crushing bottom-end like no other cab. Play my Marshall JCM900 2500 MkIII through this cab and love it.
I really love Eminence Red Coat Wizards, 75w, 3.5 lbs. magnets, 103 dB sensitivity (loud as hell). I have 2 of these in a cab and they are excellent, good tight bottom-end, punchy articulate mids, and smooth highs. Has the best parts of a Greenback and a Vintage 30 combined.
I have played through a friends Marshall 4x12 loaded with all JBL-120L's. Articulate as hell. Duane Allman used cabs like these but they weighed 150 lbs. each. Unless you have roadies breaking their backs loading your stuff, not a good idea.
I used to have a Music Man, 130w, 2x12 Combo, loaded with some type of
Celestions, I think G12-70's. Hard to overdrive that rig, even with a vintage Tubescreamer.
Never played through Celestion Alnico Blues, not a big fan of the Vox AC30 tone, plus no speaker should cost that damn much.
I heard the Red Coat (George) Lynch Super V12 is a good speaker for blues, but never used them before.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm getting ready to re-wire my 70's Marshall 4x12 with G12M's (16 O) which for whatever reason is at 4 ohms. I want it to be 16 Ohms, and was going to use series/Parallel. Would it be smarter to do parallel/series? I want it to be a universal cab for my 800/900. any help is appreacited

Parallel series is fine. Still get the final 16 ohm load. It's always a smart move to test the load of a cab after buying it to know what you have. Glad you caught it when you did.

Tim.

Reaction score
I have used Celestion Greenbacks, cane front, 1960B cab. Great midrange, warm bottom, kinda flabby bottom actually, but nice woody tones. Pretty much it for Rock in the 70's to tame down non-master Marshalls.
I have used Celestion G12-65, cane front, 1960A cab. Very midrangey speakers, smooth highs, but I got lost in the mix. I don't see the fascination with these speakers or their high prices on eBay.
I have a Carvin GX412T cab, all marine Baltic birch wood, metal grill, metal handles, black tolex, built like a brick s#&%house, but weighs 95 lbs. Loaded with Celestion Rocket 50's, for some amps these speakers suck, but for a vintage 1986 Carvin X-100B amp they work very well to add some grit to the 6L6GC tubes.
I have the standard Marshall 1960B cab, loaded with Celestion G12T-75's. It has somewhat scooped mids, smooth highs, and tight crushing bottom-end like no other cab. Play my Marshall JCM900 2500 MkIII through this cab and love it.
I really love Eminence Red Coat Wizards, 75w, 3.5 lbs. magnets, 103 dB sensitivity (loud as hell). I have 2 of these in a cab and they are excellent, good tight bottom-end, punchy articulate mids, and smooth highs. Has the best parts of a Greenback and a Vintage 30 combined.
I have played through a friends Marshall 4x12 loaded with all JBL-120L's. Articulate as hell. Duane Allman used cabs like these but they weighed 150 lbs. each. Unless you have roadies breaking their backs loading your stuff, not a good idea.
Celestions, I think G12-70's. Hard to overdrive that rig, even with a vintage Tubescreamer.
Never played through Celestion Alnico Blues, not a big fan of the Vox AC30 tone, plus no speaker should cost that damn much.
I heard the Red Coat (George) Lynch Super V12 is a good speaker for blues, but never used them before.

thank you! i appreciate the first hand knowledge.
earlier today i ordered the veteran 30s. being my first time i figured i would start small with something that for the most part has good reviews.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice report. Thanx for posting.

Still a great thread Marty!:dude:

KKND

Reaction score
Hello, i need your help please. I am considering the following options for my speakers upgrade, please feel free to suggest otherwise:

a) WGS Veteran 30's (Vintage 30s clone)
b)Veteran 30 and HM75 (G12-T75 clone)
c)Veteran 30 and ET65 (G12-65 clone)

My amp is Blackstar HT Stage 60 2x12 combo with 2xEL34 and 2x Celestion Seventy 80

My sought out tone, style of music
-Metallica (up to The Black Album) plus Megadeth's old stuff.
-Slash
-Blues
-David Gilmour
-Garry Moore

My complaint from my current amp; the bottom end is too flabby and loose when palm muting. Mids n highs too harsh that my ears hurt :confused:

Placed an eq in the loop, unless the highs are boosted a bit, the amp sounds muffed but it is too harsh and brittle.

Thanks you, appreciate your response.

rykus

Reaction score
hey everyone, been a while. i just started thinking about building a head/ 2x12 cab for portability. i play mostly drop down to D what cab dimensions would be best, should it be ported? i want to build it out of maple! anyways thanks for the help!

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
hey everyone, been a while. i just started thinking about building a head/ 2x12 cab for portability. i play mostly drop down to D what cab dimensions would be best, should it be ported? i want to build it out of maple! anyways thanks for the help!

How about maple veneer plywood. Solid maple would be a lot of work and you wouldn't really gain anything. You want a good void free plywood for the cab shell. The front and back can be high quality MDF or Medite.

Since you drop tune, I would recommend an oversized 212 cab and ported. The speaker I would recommend would be an Eminence Delta Pro. Minimum 1.5 cubic foot of space. 2 would be best, that would be a total of four cubic feet. Some people try to make too small of a cab and then it sounds like crap.

dragoneti

Reaction score
Hello everybody!
I would like a suggestion regarding some new speaker choices I would like to test with my JVM410 and my USA Charvel San Dimas (JB/59, soon to be altered with a bkp holydiver).

At the moment I have a quad of greenbacks loaded in my 1960A. I like them in general apart some slight problems with them, their flubby bass, that they get slightly muddy under the JVM gain on OD1 orange (gain on 5) and their only 100 watt ability.

So I’m looking for speakers that have higher watt rating to be used with 100watt amp, they don’t break as much, are tighter than greenbacks and are good for 80s hard rock / hair metal in the likes of van halen, bon jovi, dokken, scorpions, europe etc.

I have used (and still have at my disposal) several speakers:
- The Vintage 30 which have an annoying high mid thing (less when REALLY broken in, but still there) which with my marshall and the JB in the charvel, it gets a little bit too much to bare especially on low volumes.

-The G12T75 which came with the cab but are a bit too scooped and bright.

- The G12H30 70’s anniv (so far my favorites, still being used in another cab) which have at the same time a warmth and brightness, but again a bit too vintage for the gain of JVM and again low watt rating.

- The CL80 which are not bad again but are too dark and boomy in a quad by themselves (while on the same time bright just like the H30).

So I’m looking either on a quad of G12-65, Evm12L speakers, Governors or Wizards. I actually have 2 governors, 1 evm12l and 1 wizard (none g1265s and only head samples of them on the net and the fame that they are THE 80s speakers) but due to being less than a quad, they are used either on combo or an engl 2x12 cab and I cannot tell how they will respond by themselves in a quad config on the rear loaded 1960A.

I usually don’t like speaker mixes (I have tried many combinations, none was perfect I always preferred single type speakers).

Ignoring costs, cab weight ect, which of the above 4 would you recommend in a quad configuration for some good all 80s shread guitar sound?

Thank you in advance.

rykus

Reaction score
hey marty, thanks again for the help!, i want to get a couple boards of flame maple, kind showy..... i like tedious woodwork and fancy wood! i just remembered a while ago i read on this thread you can tune your cabs and port them to accentuate notes! seemed like it made sense. ill probably use some type of ply for the front and put a grill on it but ? i was thinking of trying the blackpowder/ blackmountain speakers and i remember they can be used in larger cabs to get really low end response, i usually play in d, open d and e standard but sometimes drop to c for fun! i really like the tone my little alnico 10" has givin my class 5! thing is a frickin monster practice amp! so i had thought i'd buck up and try the alnico but we'll have to see how the finances go... how'd the new heads work for you?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hey rykus. The Wilder modded heads are very sweet. I tend to play the JMP more, even though the 2204 is set up as a switchable two channel. The tone is the real deal.

I haven't used the Black Mountains as they are pretty expensive. I was going to recommend the Black Powders, but in reality, they don't go that low. The Delta Pro's will go much lower in a ported box. The Delta Pro can be used as a bass guitar speaker or as a mid bass in a PA system. In the right box, you can get 45 to 50Hz out of the low end. The Black Powders are going to give you a strong 70Hz.

I have several computer programs for determining port length and size. Once you get your speakers selected and the box size, hit me up and I'll run it and get your port dimensions.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hello everybody!
I would like a suggestion regarding some new speaker choices I would like to test with my JVM410 and my USA Charvel San Dimas (JB/59, soon to be altered with a bkp holydiver).

Ignoring costs, cab weight ect, which of the above 4 would you recommend in a quad configuration for some good all 80s shread guitar sound?

Thank you in advance.

Try to find yourself a JCM800A or B half stack with G12-65's in it. Or find some raw drivers. WGS makes the ET-65's and Eminence makes the Tonespotter. These are clones of the G12-65's.

dragoneti

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer!

So g12-65 are the way to go? to find a used cab in greece with them is nearly imposible so its up to seperate new speakers to load my 1960A.

Which would be better, the heritage one or the WSG ET65 (tonespotter is unfortunatelly only 8 ohms)?

How are they different from let say governors which to my ears are just like high power greenbacks (same mid growl with larger/tighter bass, about the same highs, maybe a bit less)?

I may wait a little as i just saw that celestion introduced in namm the new lynch (yes, yet another endorshement) speaker and as i am a fan of his old sound (his "in my dreams" guitar sound is on of my favorites) so maybe they are just perfect (his "old" eminence super v12 where supposed to be very very good... to bad they only came in 8 ohms and i try to keep the 16 ohms across my cabs)

In the meanwhile i may try some new pickups for my charvel for i have a feeling that my JB (and its tonal chracteristics and criticisms) has a lot to do with my findings on the many speakers i have used so far as almost all my guitars have them in the bridge position. So i may try a tonezone which i have laying around and a bkp holydiver which has captured my interest for some time now.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
The G12-65 is my favorite Celestions. They cover a lot of ground. If you have to have 16 ohm clones, the ET-65 is the way to go. I have the Eminence Tonespotters (65 clones) in a cab with Black Powders and it is the best sounding cab I have ever heard. Yeah, it is 8 ohm, but I never use a full stack anymore, so it is more than enough.

I also like the sound of the Governors and the Man 'O Wars (V30 and G12T-75). The MOW's sound much better than stock G12T-75's. They are thicker and punchier. The Governors are very popular. I have a 412 cab with the Governors and the Texas Heats. Either one of these are great, stand alone speakers for a 412 cab. If I were to pick one, I would go with the MOW's.

The reason that the Super V12's where in 8 ohms is because George uses Randall heads and each half stack was wired for 8 ohms and a full stack was 4 ohms. The 4 ohm full stack would pull max power from the Randall head.

I'm not afraid of running an 8 ohm cab. If I needed a full stack, it could still be safely run at a 4 ohm load.

Thanks for letting me know that George has switched over to a different SIG speaker. Has he also switched back over to Marshall amps?