EVH 50W III vs JCM 800 2203x

• Thread starter milsa666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

milsa666

Reaction score
I'm repeating my question (because I don't know why it disappeared) - if I broke any rules, send me a private message.

Hi Marshall users!!!
Question from future (or not :fingersx:) user
I have an EVH 50w III amplifier, but GAS has been bothering me for some time. Due to the fact that I am slowly (over 45 years) outgrowing form ultra HighGain music - I am tempted towards classic 80s rock (sometimes real thrash big4 - 80s) and JCM 800 (2203x 100W version). Currently I have 2x12 EVH with V30 + Creamback 75 speakers - so I have something to connect it to and I can make noise (no neighbors nearby). I don't have the opportunity to try and listen to JCM (only YouTube), hence the question: How does the 2203x compare to my EVH? Is there a big difference in playing with 2x12? Or rather, EVH is a more powerful version of Marshall and not much will change. BTW I currently use SD-1 as a boost for 99% of time. Thank you in advance

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
I have a 5150III like yours and a 2203KK and I gotta say the blue channel and the 2203kk have a lot, but a hell lot in common.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I'm repeating my question (because I don't know why it disappeared) - if I broke any rules, send me a private message.

Hi Marshall users!!!
Question from future (or not :fingersx:) user
I have an EVH 50w III amplifier, but GAS has been bothering me for some time. Due to the fact that I am slowly (over 45 years) outgrowing form ultra HighGain music - I am tempted towards classic 80s rock (sometimes real thrash big4 - 80s) and JCM 800 (2203x 100W version). Currently I have 2x12 EVH with V30 + Creamback 75 speakers - so I have something to connect it to and I can make noise (no neighbors nearby). I don't have the opportunity to try and listen to JCM (only YouTube), hence the question: How does the 2203x compare to my EVH? Is there a big difference in playing with 2x12? Or rather, EVH is a more powerful version of Marshall and not much will change. BTW I currently use SD-1 as a boost for 99% of time. Thank you in advance
Our other guitar player has a 5150 III, which he doesn't play through anymore. He now has an ENGL, as he hasn't outgrown the high gain amps. It might be a bit of a shock going from the high gain III to the medium gain 2203 (where's the gain?...), depending on how you use the III. If you're using the low gain channel of the III with drive pedals, the transition would be less significant. I prefer the tonality of the 2203, but they are simple one channel amps and require a different approach in playing. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the 2203, as long as you know what to expect.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Tip: spend 20 bucks in 5751 tube and you will have a nice hot rodded jcm 800 in the blue channel

milsa666

Reaction score
Our other guitar player has a 5150 III, which he doesn't play through anymore. He now has an ENGL, as he hasn't outgrown the high gain amps. It might be a bit of a shock going from the high gain III to the medium gain 2203 (where's the gain?...), depending on how you use the III. If you're using the low gain channel of the III with drive pedals, the transition would be less significant. I prefer the tonality of the 2203, but they are simple one channel amps and require a different approach in playing. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the 2203, as long as you know what to expect.
Thanks man for your input. I mainly use boosted (SD1 bossted 😁) blue channel, around 12 o’clock. So it means not crazy amount of gain.

milsa666

Reaction score
Tip: spend 20 bucks in 5751 tube and you will have a nice hot rodded jcm 800 in the blue channel
Man I hate you 🤣.
I did it - a couple months ago I swapped some preamp tubes. I thought that I defeated GAS

According to post on:
sevenstring.o r g

V1: ECC83, V2: 5751, V3: ECC83, V4: ECC83/5751, V5: 5751, V6: ECC83, V9(PI): Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

why you try to kill my GAS so quickly? 🤣🤣🤣

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Man I hate you 🤣.
I did it - a couple months ago I swapped some preamp tubes. I thought that I defeated GAS

According to post on:
sevenstring.o r g

V1: ECC83, V2: 5751, V3: ECC83, V4: ECC83/5751, V5: 5751, V6: ECC83, V9(PI): Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

why you try to kill my GAS so quickly? 🤣🤣🤣
Since I bought a kemper and it killed most of my G.A.S I’m trying to kill other people dreams too. I can’t have my dreams shattered alone.

But anyways, in mine I put just the 5751 in the V1 position and worked great for my music. I have tried lot’s of different tubes in all of the positions and you can fine tune the 5150iii to sound as classic or hot rodded 2203 as you want. That amp still amazes me, it is a fucking powerhouse and it will be the last amp I will ever sell if I need.

And forget about name brands... just buy whatever is easy for you, in my case was JJs. depending on the gain factor you choose the blue channel can sound plexish.

And the silver lining... as you won’t have to buy a 2203 you can buy a different amp.