EVH 5150 III Mini 50watt Head Sound-Demo

• Thread starter joe web
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

joe web

Reaction score
hi folks,

just got my 5150III Mini head yesterday.
WOW!!! this amp is a winner!
got a 6534+ a few weeks ago, because i was looking for another amp for my second band. the 6534+ was my first choice, but i´m not 100% happy with it.
it´s brutal sounding but to me the lead channel has not enough "tone". it´s very compressed and with more gain you dial in you´re loosing "tone".

so i thought i´ll try the new 5150 Mini head - and guess what, i like it much more.
channel 1 and 2 share the same EQ and Gain settings, but that´s not a problem, the amp is very balanced sound wise.
the lead channel has more gain as anybody ever needs and still delivers the "tone" that i´m missing with the 6534+.
o.k. it´s not as raw and brutal sounding, which may depend on the 6L6 power tubes instead of the EL34s the peavey is using, and it has a bit less low-end power due to the 50 watts, but it´s enough for me.

the 5150 III Mini is a great amp with big sound, a lot of useful features like MIDI and the best thing is the price.

here is a short demo-test i did yesterday evening.

EVH Mini Test

this is the guitar and amp i used for this demo:

Wolfgang%205150III.JPG

and the cab i used:

Marshall%201982A%20320Watt.JPG

Dave666

Reaction score
:headbanger:

Yeah, I like how this one sounds.
It sounds very tight and brutal, like you said, lots of gain on tap but still clear sounding, which is a plus!!!

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
is that a German accent? :p

I like the heavey sound you got out of it, but the second channel doesn't sound very brown to me, it could be those speakers though.

Assumer

Reaction score
Sounds great. Always wanted to try one of those but nothing local. May have to take a road trip.

Bammer

Reaction score
I've got one of these on backorder with Musician's Friend and won't see it until at least mid-March! Where did you get yours so early???

BTW- your demo made me drool with anticipation even more than I already was!

joe web

Reaction score
@Bammer:
i ordered mine back in october last year. so this is one of the first heads that had been shipped to europe.

joe web

Reaction score
is that a German accent? :p

I like the heavey sound you got out of it, but the second channel doesn't sound very brown to me, it could be those speakers though.

that´s the famous German accent you hear there :D

i didn´t try to dial in a "brown sound" - that´s not what i want to achieve with this amp. i prefer my own sound, even by using a lot of EVH gear.
i love that gear, the striped phaser and flanger deliver "THAT" phaser and flanger sound i love, the wolfgang is a great rock-guitar and the amp kicks a$$, all together it´s the complete Van Halen setup, but as said before, i don´t want to copy ed´s sound - i prefer my own kind of sound at the end.

craigbeckta

Reaction score
Hey,

Picked one up Feb 09/12

I just posted a video of the EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
head to YouTube, check it out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQqHTCPmsA"]EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head Review[/ame]

Craig

Jimmyohio75

Reaction score
Just ordered mine today in black...Managed to negotiate a crazy low price from Sweetwater. I was told it should show up in early-mid March. I bet that doesn't happen.

Mysterionn

Reaction score
Just ordered mine today in black...Managed to negotiate a crazy low price from Sweetwater. I was told it should show up in early-mid March. I bet that doesn't happen.

How did you "negotiate" a low price? I was looking at these as well.

peterichardz

Reaction score
hi folks,

just got my 5150III Mini head yesterday.
WOW!!! this amp is a winner!
got a 6534+ a few weeks ago, because i was looking for another amp for my second band. the 6534+ was my first choice, but i´m not 100% happy with it.
it´s brutal sounding but to me the lead channel has not enough "tone". it´s very compressed and with more gain you dial in you´re loosing "tone".

so i thought i´ll try the new 5150 Mini head - and guess what, i like it much more.
channel 1 and 2 share the same EQ and Gain settings, but that´s not a problem, the amp is very balanced sound wise.
the lead channel has more gain as anybody ever needs and still delivers the "tone" that i´m missing with the 6534+.
o.k. it´s not as raw and brutal sounding, which may depend on the 6L6 power tubes instead of the EL34s the peavey is using, and it has a bit less low-end power due to the 50 watts, but it´s enough for me.

the 5150 III Mini is a great amp with big sound, a lot of useful features like MIDI and the best thing is the price.

here is a short demo-test i did yesterday evening.

EVH Mini Test

this is the guitar and amp i used for this demo:

Wolfgang%205150III.JPG

and the cab i used:

Marshall%201982A%20320Watt.JPG

Move those mics about 1" away from the center of the speakers! You will LOVE the tone better!

Jimmyohio75

Reaction score
How did you "negotiate" a low price? I was looking at these as well.
Well, I used the 15% sale at MF as leverage with ZZounds. They beat the price with a quote of $824.99. I used that quote as leverage with Sweetwater and they offered me $820 with free shipping and the famous Sweetwater 2 year warranty. I am hoping this thing shows up in mid March as they told me it would. :dude:

Jim88GT

Reaction score
Well, I used the 15% sale at MF as leverage with ZZounds. They beat the price with a quote of $824.99. I used that quote as leverage with Sweetwater and they offered me $820 with free shipping and the famous Sweetwater 2 year warranty. I am hoping this thing shows up in mid March as they told me it would. :dude:

Jimmy, did your EVH 50 watt show up yet? I have one on order from my local music store. It was supposed to come in March as well. I am still waiting.:(

I hope it comes in soon :fingersx: