EVH Iconic 60watt 2x12 or JCM 900 4102 or 4502?

• Thread starter SingleMalt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The footswitchable boost adds a set amount of gain and the volume is controlled by the boost knob on the amp. I don’t play very loud, but on low volumes it adds a decent volume boost with the knob on 10. I agree it would have been cool if the overdrive and burn modes were footswitchable as well.
So the boost control adds some gain as well as volume?

Dgd73

Reaction score
Yes. I believe the gain is a fixed amount and the volume is controlled by the boost knob on the amp. I usually keep the boost volume at 0 so if I kick it on there is a bump in gain and a slight volume boost. If I crank the boost volume knob to 10, there is a bump in gain and a decent volume boost. This is all at lower volumes, so I can’t tell you how much it makes a difference at gig/cranked levels.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah. Not much. I like to run my boost on but at zero on the pot. Then use guitar controls for levels of saturation. Green OD channel, even with boost on, rolls off at guitar nicely. Really can do a lot OD wise set up like this.

Green OD has plenty of gain on tap via gain pot. I don’t ever add a pedal in front for more. I have tried an SD-1 just to shelve some bass and that works well. But the amp doesn’t need more. Unless you prefer more punch.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Unless your exclusively playing "Painkiller LP" Riffs/Songs, the EVH is going to do a better job than a 900DR for classic Priest. Never played an EVH, but i do own a 4100.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
This entire thread has made me think that it’s either a 5153 or a 50watt Stealth for me. As I’ve written earlier, the external bias points are a huge plus for me in favor of the Stealth. Metal Gods and Grinder are two songs with great tones and Devil’s Child is another one that I dig.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
This entire thread has made me think that it’s either a 5153 or a 50watt Stealth for me. As I’ve written earlier, the external bias points are a huge plus for me in favor of the Stealth. Metal Gods and Grinder are two songs with great tones and Devil’s Child is another one that I dig.
Just do keep in mind that the stealth is darker than the iconic and does not have the “bite” of the other. To me, the stealth is more a modern amp and the iconic a classic. Definitely play them both.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just do keep in mind that the stealth is darker than the iconic and does not have the “bite” of the other. To me, the stealth is more a modern amp and the iconic a classic. Definitely play them both.
For sure.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I will have to do that. Others have said that the Stealth has an upper end bite that cuts. Is that not the case?

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I will have to do that. Others have said that the Stealth has an upper end bite that cuts. Is that not the case?
Not as much as the iconic, IMO. The normal 5153 amps have a smoothness to the tone whereas the iconic has more teeth. The stealth has far more gain and muscle but the iconic has a rawness that just screams hot rod Marshall.

It’s hard to word but my ears preferred the iconic. You may be the complete opposite.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as much as I the iconic, IMO. The normal 5153 amps have a smoothness to the tone whereas the iconic has more teeth. The stealth has for more gain and muscle but the iconic has a rawness that just screams hot rod Marshall.

It’s hard to word but my ears preferred the iconic. You may be the complete opposite.
Thats it. Teeth. Marshalls i like have teeth. That bite. On the Iconic's green OD channel.

The Stealth is the meanest 5150 on the block. I cant believe how hard it hits. Like a meat punch in the gut. If i wanted to look down on others cause im the king of mean, the Stealth is it. A Marshall it aint. Its not trying to be. Ive listened to many modded or boutique amps being mean and heavy. I havent come across any meaner than the 100 watt Stealth. Fury. I would never own one. Total waste of amp on me.lol

Since ive had the Iconic(especially the 80 watt head)its been my hot rodded 800 like, big iron amp. Its what keeps me from over paying for a $3500 JCM 800. Until USA Marshall gets the JCM 800 priced the right size? I will continue to rip(play) on its fav cousin the Iconic. Would be so cool to use both live.

Last edited:

SingleMalt

Reaction score
Ok, let’s go in a different direction. On the green channel of the Iconic 80 watt head, how well does it do a clean tone? I know it’s not a Twin Reverb, but are the cleans “clean” or “clean with hair”?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, let’s go in a different direction. On the green channel of the Iconic 80 watt head, how well does it do a clean tone? I know it’s not a Twin Reverb, but are the cleans “clean” or “clean with hair”?
Clean?:iough:

chiliphil1

Reaction score
IMO it does a very good clean. Slap a little verb on there and it’s nice. It isn’t like the old 5150 where even the clean channel is another high gain channel. This one will actually stay clean.

However, the clean channel has a crunch button and for me and solar, at least that’s where we live on this amp. I pretty much never used the red channel, just green and adjusted my guitar volume to taste. The problem is, you can’t go from crunch to clean with a foot switch. You have to press the physical button on the amp. That may work for you if you can get your distortion from the red and clean from the green but it didn’t work for me (in that sense) because I liked the green crunch far more than the red.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I’m sure Green Crunch will be perfect for me as well, but I alternate between Hard Rock/80s Metal and semi-clean Blues. So even if I have to choose between crunch and “clean” with a button, that’s ok.

Thanks, chili.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I’m sure Green Crunch will be perfect for me as well, but I alternate between Hard Rock/80s Metal and semi-clean Blues. So even if I have to choose between crunch and “clean” with a button, that’s ok.

Thanks, chili.
No problems. Do keep in mind also that the amp is EXTREMELY responsive to changes in your guitar volume, you can do 80’s metal on 10 and blues on 3. It’ll handle it.

Oh, I also highly recommend a Jhs little black amp box for the loop. Having the masters up to 3+ is a game changer AND since the amp does not have an overall master volume the little box will give you a single knob to adjust the overall volume instead of having to balance the channels every time you make a volume adjustment. As a bonus it’ll sound great at below tv level with one of those as well.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah to be serious the level of gain i use, rolling off to clean is accessible readily. I have always rolled off to cleans. It works cause im not using modern heavier tones.

And any more i set my multichannel(2 or more)amps up as one channel. I seem to gravitate to a channel that suits my wheelhouse tone wise and get it to do everything i want.

ive got a version of that master volume in a box too. Can be useful and mine was really inexspensive.

Quick Look: think mine was under $15 at the time. Ive had for quite a few years.

Last edited:

Joesatch

Reaction score
go with the 900. the iconic is a budget amp with only 2 preamp tubes. not sure Ed woulda signed off on those

Latest posts