Evh striped series?

• Thread starter SouthJerseySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwebb1970

Reaction score
I know. It's a Korean-made OFR with a D-Tuna. Supposed to be just as good as the USA-made version since they use the same metals.

The Korean-built FRT1000/2000s are built & use materials very similar to the German Schallers. Definitely better that the Chinese "Specials" or other knock offs. I would imagine it will work fine & take a good amount of abuse.

rmlevasseur said:
Kraemer, Peavey, Ernie Ball, Fender...

Bah, there is no EVH guitar anymore. Just branding abuse at this point.

Of course there is - actually there are a few. And here I go off on a tangent...

Kramer - actually never made a true EVH sig model. EVH did endorse & use Kramers in the mid/late 80s, but an actual sig model was never produced. I recall a video on YouTube shot in the 80s of EVH & Kramer rep talking w/ press (NAMM show, maybe) about the VH/Kramer relationship. Ed was tanked & complained to the Kramer rep about the too-floaty Floyd on the off the rack Kramer he was holding @ the press thing.

Of course, you can today get a Gibson-distributed, Korean-built Kramer "1984" model.

Ernie Ball - obviously EBMM DID do a VH sig guitar. A damn fine one, too. ANd you can still get them today, albeit with the AXIS name on 'em.

Peavey - EVH had already built a relationship w/ Hartley Peavey & amp guru James Brown when the amp maker came up with the original 5150. Ed decided Peavey would be a better company to handle making his guitars as well - and be able to get them made @ various price points so that more players could get their mitts on 'em. Soon, though, Ed's erratic behavior during that time (Hagar breakup, aborted Roth reunion, Gary Cherrone debacle coupled with too much booze, various health issues & a failed marriage) would end his time as a Peavey artist. But this did not stop Peavey from continuing the 5150 line under the 6505 moniker.

Do not forget Charvel! It was been said that the release of the Charvel Art Series "hand striped by Ed himself" axes online & to some specialty dealers was the final straw that broke Hartley Peavey's back (Ed was still under endorsement contract w/ Peavey @ the time). Of course, this new relationship with Charvel (who had been taken under the wing of KMC - formerly Kaman Music before getting purchased by Fender) is how Ed's current relationship w/ the company Leo built came into being.

And now Ed has been in bed w/ Fender for a few years. The Wolfgang is arguably an improvement over the Peavey original. And in the case of Fender, they are one US guitar builder who has far more oversight over much of their non-US made products due to their ownership & operation of the Ensenada plant, as opposed to most manufacturers who farm out overseas production to independent contractors. While the MIM EVH stuff is not cheap, it is more affordable than if it were made in the US.

The Striped Series look great & are most likely of the same quality level of the current MIM Charvels, but one wonders if any Art Series owners are a bit ticked off these days seeing essentially the same axe now as a sub-$1000 production model. Fender's expansion/upgrade to the Ensenada plant in the mid-2000s was in part to accommodate expanded production being taken over from the Japanese builders who were either closing their factories or had simply become too expensive to justify their continued use.

The Wofgang Specials saw their production head to China - and the quality drop compared to their MIJ predecessors. Not sure if it has happened yet, but I had read that Fender plans to move the Wolfgang Special production to Mexico as well.

OK - tangent done. Continue discussion, folks! ;)

Rocktane

Reaction score
Well, I just had the chance to play one these and my gas has come down a notch from the experience. For the most part, I liked it. But, some things were just off. I don't think it was set up all that great, the action was higher than I'm used to and it went out of tune several times during the 45 minutes I spent with it. In contrast, my RG can stay in tune for days and I prefer the thinner wizard neck. It's now a maybe for me, I'd like to try another one with a decent setup.

duncan11

Reaction score
I played one, and I'm toying with getting one. Neck seemed very flat radius but was setup ok for the most part. I may just fixup my current 'vh' axe with new pickup and vol pot and forgoe the striped series one but I think the neck is better on these than my kramer knock off.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Great buy!
I might have to go into the shed and put some stripes on a guitar.

it takes so long cause Ed has to wait for a period where production can fit them in. this happens to all his merch on his site.
Is the neck as wide at the nut as a USA fender strat?

I don't see why they don't have a neck pickup. could it be tradition? I thought Ed was going for tone, not tradition?

I want to see the wolfgangs loose that chip out of the headstock!

duncan11

Reaction score
Great buy!
I might have to go into the shed and put some stripes on a guitar.

it takes so long cause Ed has to wait for a period where production can fit them in. this happens to all his merch on his site.
Is the neck as wide at the nut as a USA fender strat?

I don't see why they don't have a neck pickup. could it be tradition? I thought Ed was going for tone, not tradition?

I want to see the wolfgangs loose that chip out of the headstock!

These are meant as tributes, not 'signature' models hence no neck pu. I thought the neck was wide TBH as well as very flat. I personally think the EBMM eddie/axis are better than the Peavey/Fender Wolfgangs.

Ouijam

Reaction score
I enjoy my white-black striped. Probably because the frets aren't ditched out, yet...

Attachments

• evhwbstripedcase.jpg
    evhwbstripedcase.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Ouijam

Reaction score
Here's some riffage that I wrote and recorded my EVH striped series gtr song demo. It's alittle bit hot on the master-mix:
[SC]http://soundcloud.com/ouijam/apple-pie-solo-guitar-version[/SC]

Last edited:

Cold Warrior

Reaction score
I'm sure I would dig one for jamming and studio use, but it may seem like you are trying to fill some very big shoes if using it as a gigging guitar. I'd probably use it more at home. I definitely wouldn't do the iconic red/white/black one in public, you'd have 55 year old soccer moms and dads coming up to you "So, that is a Van Halen guitar right? Can you play the solo from Jump?" :mad:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Here's some riffage that I wrote and recorded my EVH striped series gtr song demo. It's alittle bit hot on the master-mix:
[SC]http://soundcloud.com/ouijam/apple-pie-solo-guitar-version[/SC]

I pick up a strong Mick Mars vibe.

duncan11

Reaction score
I'm sure I would dig one for jamming and studio use, but it may seem like you are trying to fill some very big shoes if using it as a gigging guitar. I'd probably use it more at home. I definitely wouldn't do the iconic red/white/black one in public, you'd have 55 year old soccer moms and dads coming up to you "So, that is a Van Halen guitar right? Can you play the solo from Jump?" :mad:

Get into a VH tribute band....:cool: