NGD - EVH 5150 Striped Series

• Thread starter SonVolt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I’ve yet to try a new Evh stripped series. My 2011 special neck is so slippery and it’s satin. No idea how they did it but it’s amazing.
I’ve seen some quite bad reviews on the newer stuff which has put me off. I really want a franky but I’ve never got a far as trying one in a store to see if it’s actually worth it.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I had a few EVH guitars, including the 5150 just like yours ... mine played / sounded just great, but as much as I tried, I just couldn't get over the stripes on the guitar ... I mean, they look cool, but it just didn't feel right. The only EVH striped guitar I have left is a little toy model that you display on a shelf (I'll keep that one).

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not 100% positive, but if I had to guess there’s no finish at all on the back or fretboard. The headstock is painted.

Ok, here's what I deleted yesterday that you may want to try to make the neck feel better. I would lightly sand the back of the neck with some 400 grit just to smooth it out. Then I'd wipe on a coat of Tru-oil and then with another dry towel wipe it back off and let it dry for a few hours. Those blue shop paper towels you get at the auto parts store work great. It'll leave just a very thin coat. Do that 3 or 4 times (or more if you want to) and then let it dry for a good 24 hours. The back of the neck will be smooth and slick. I love tru-oil on necks! All my builds, plus my Les Paul tribute that I refinished, I did the necks with tru-oil and they are the best feeling necks I have.

It's pretty easy to sand it back off if you don't like it. Just a suggestion. The reason I deleted it before is because I thought that if the headstock wasn't finished it might be weird with a finish only on the back of the neck. The only thing is that the tru-oil may darken the wood a tad, but it shouldn't be much on maple. For me it would be worth it for the feel.

Last edited:

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a few EVH guitars, including the 5150 just like yours ... mine played / sounded just great, but as much as I tried, I just couldn't get over the stripes on the guitar ... I mean, they look cool, but it just didn't feel right. The only EVH striped guitar I have left is a little toy model that you display on a shelf (I'll keep that one).

Yeah, the stripes are pretty jarring. Did the finish feels weird (plastic) to you? Also there's an original receipt in the case from "Safe Haven Music" in New York. Then it landed in Bro's Guitars in NYC, which is where I ended up getting it on via Reverb. There's no chance this is your old guitar is it? :hmm:

I think I'm going to cover the whole thing in stickers over time and leave the the headstock w/the stripes... It's growing on me, and my kids loves it so I'm stuck with it.

R4T99uml.jpg

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's what I deleted yesterday that you may want to try to make the neck feel better. I would lightly sand the back of the neck with some 400 grit just to smooth it out. Then I'd wipe on a coat of Tru-oil and then with another dry towel wipe it back off and let it dry for a few hours. Those blue shop paper towels you get at the auto parts store work great. It'll leave just a very thin coat. Do that 3 or 4 times (or more if you want to) and then let it dry for a good 24 hours. The back of the neck will be smooth and slick. I love tru-oil on necks! All my builds, plus my Les Paul tribute that I refinished, I did the necks with tru-oil and they are the best feeling necks I have.

It's pretty easy to sand it back off if you don't like it. Just a suggestion. The reason I deleted it before is because I thought that if the headstock wasn't finished it might be weird with a finish only on the back of the neck. The only thing is that the tru-oil may darken the wood a tad, but it shouldn't be much on maple. For me it would be worth it for the feel.

I may try this! I would really prefer the maple neck to be darker.

Last edited:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the stripes are pretty jarring. Did the finish feels weird (plastic) to you? Also there's an original receipt in the case from "Safe Haven Music" in New York. Then it landed in Bro's Guitars in NYC, which is where I ended up getting it on via Reverb. There's no chance this is your old guitar is it? :hmm:

I think I'm going to cover the whole thing in stickers over time and leave the the headstock w/the stripes... It's growing on me, and my kids loves it so I'm stuck with it.

R4T99uml.jpg

Well, I actually really liked the matte finish on that one compared to the shinier finish on the 'Franky' tribute ... at first I was like "wtf is this?", but it grew on me really fast. Just had a more stripped down / worn in feel I suppose. There really wasn't anything I didn't like about the guitar other than it just felt too much like someone else's guitar, and I could never totally bond w/them. Love the pic btw!

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I may try this! I would really prefer the maple neck to be darker.
Well, it's only going to darken the back unfinished part, if it even does. When I did my LP the maple top didn't darken like I hoped it would, but the mahogany neck and back did darken quite a bit. On woods that are more porous it really darkens them. If you decide to try it hit me up with any questions you might have.

GHancq777

Reaction score
Strat ignorant here, but WTF is a string tree even installed/remaining on a locking-nut guitar?
To correct the exact issue the OP had, if the strings are put on properly they should sit below the back edge of the locking nut, but not everyone installs strings properly, if the string tree is absent or to high and the strings are put on shoddily its possible one or more strings will be "above" the lower rear edge of the locking nut, so after you rough tune before locking the nut, and then lock the nut it possible one or more strings "might" get pulled down and go sharp. Uncommon but not as uncommon as it should be.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
How you getting on with the 5150 4 months on from the first post?
I acquired a Frankie in a trade for my lp tribute.
The satin finish is kinda plastic looking I agree. I kept looking at it wondering if it was paint or like a plastic shrink wrap with pre printed stripes. As mines a Frankie I just gave it some scotch bright and sandpaper abuse to scuff up the dead flat finish.
My neck felt a bit gritty too, I just rubbed some 1500 grit paper across it few times and felt fine.
Plays great, sounds amazing but took a while to get it setup just right.

Hope yours is working out