EVH tone pups

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
You're not alone.
It drives me nuts too.
And I always think that people who do these demos just don't understand, that the same pickup installed in different guitars will not sound exactly the same.
I mean a HSS Strat will not sound like a Les Paul just if you put a Burstbucker or something like that in the bridge position.
They are probably the same people that think different materials/tone woods have no effect on solid body guitars. So it doesn't matter what guitar they stick a pup in, it will sound the same, lol. But that's just simply not the case at all. It always has an influence on the tone. Unplugged, clean, low gain, high gain, etc, it's always adding it's character no matter what.

Moony

Reaction score
What I hate is when they play distortion pickups clean .

Why not doing that?
There are metal guys out there who also have their clean parts in songs, so it won't hurt to hear how the pickups sound there.
And some are not completely unuseable.
A Gibson Dirty Fingers is played by Tom DeLonge (Blink 182, Angels & Airwaves) and by Erik Rutan (Hate Eternal, Morbid Angel) - they make completely different music.
Which also shows how flexible some pickups can be.

On topic: I personally see where the praise of EVH comes from and I also like his guitar playing (more than the actual EVH songs) - but imho you get there with a lot of different pickups and I doubt someone could easily spot different models in a blind test on a recording. I would rather choose those which I'm the most comfortable with to play. No matter if it's a slightly softer low end attack of a 9k A2 wind or a ceramic higher output pickup.

cccc

Reaction score
I don't mind that, actually. I like to know if a pickup is also capable of doing clean without being too fuzzy.
I'm not talking about checking it I'm talking about the entire video is a clean demonstration with a dirty pickup.

cccc

Reaction score
You know what cracks me up about a lot of these pickup comparison demos? When the two or more pickups being compared are in radically different guitars.

"Today, I'll be comparing the Duncan Distortion to the DiMarzio Distortion. The Duncan is installed in my 1975 Gibson Les Paul Custom, and the DiMarzio is installed in my Squier Bullet with Maple fretboard."

:lalala:

That's not what's happening in the video I posted but in general I would agree.

pittbull

Reaction score
If someone is looking for a Ibanez Super 70 clone pickup I had a few custom made for me and they sound very good and the quality is excellent they were all handmade

Amadeus91

Reaction score
Measures 7.42K. It has gold plated screws.
IMG-2712.jpg

Honorable mention goes to this one
IMG-2709.jpg

Last edited:

aikiguy

Reaction score
Back in the day, my buddy decided he couldn’t afford a Music Man so he decided to build one. He got on the phone with them to try to learn what pickups those guitars had. They wouldn’t tell him what they were exactly, but they did say that the Tone Zone on the bridge and Air Norton on the neck would be extremely close.

Hope that helps….

Latest posts