EVH tone

• Thread starter Rock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rock

Reaction score
I want to achieve EVH tone.

What Marshall would you recommend me if I do not want to spend a fortune?

I use a guitar with a Seymour Duncan EVH pickup on the bridge.

Thanks,

Rock.

Hell_Tanner

Reaction score
I achieve a very satisfying brown sound with my JCM800 2203, I bought it used for less than $1170, cab included.

You'll need something like an OD pedal to boost it though (Boss OD-1, SD-1, Ibanez TubeScreamer, Maxon OD-808 and the likes....)

Just depend on how much you really want to spend on an amp.

KM1959

Reaction score
What do you consider a "small fortune"? I have a '72 Super Lead and while not cheap, does the EVH thing very well. It does however, require an attenuator (I use a HotPlate) because these things are frighteningly LOUD! No OD pedal is required though. You might want to do a web search though, there are thousands of responses to this question.

Guv'nor

Reaction score
KM1959 said:
...You might want to do a web search though, there are thousands of responses to this question.

yeah.... and a lot of shit as what I call "the variac tale"

jerseydrew

Reaction score
My Splawn modded Marshall 1987 head definitely does the VH Brown Sound. Sadly I sold it.
drz.jpg

Ralle 500

Reaction score
Here's something maybe worth listening to... My superlead -68... A couple of EVH clips with me playing... I have done several recordings since these clips... but I haven't had the time to put'em up... so far...
BTW... this is my first visit here... looks to be a cool site ;)

Guv'nor

Reaction score
Ralle 500 said:
Here's something maybe worth listening to... My superlead -68... A couple of EVH clips with me playing... I have done several recordings since these clips... but I haven't had the time to put'em up... so far...

Sounds very cool....

Having a look in your site I have found your gear...

Ralle500.JPG

One thing is clear...... You're NOT married or she never goes there

:lol:

Hell_Tanner

Reaction score
I love that guitar! :shock:

I've built one that looks a bit like yours, a hidden tribute to EVH of course.

And those samples...WOW!!! Tell us your secret!

superleadfixer

Reaction score
Rock said:
I want to achieve EVH tone.

What Marshall would you recommend me if I do not want to spend a fortune?

I use a guitar with a Seymour Duncan EVH pickup on the bridge.

Thanks,

Rock.

Edward's amp on the first album was a 12series Super Lead (#12301), early 1968 approx., but you'll pay big bucks for an amp like that and its over 35 year old, you could get yourseft the same basic deal with a cloned/replica 1959 amp for much cheaper

Guv'nor

Reaction score
superleadfixer said:
you could get yourseft the same basic deal with a cloned/replica 1959 amp for much cheaper

Any suggestion?

wonkka

Reaction score
Do a search on the other forum, starts with Plexi and ends with Palace. This topic has been a staple there for years with people that have actually seen and disected his amp and his rig. But in short you need: A second hand strat rear loaded with a PAF with a Fender TREM, not a Floyd, into a 67/68 1959 with laydown tranny and some cap changes going into a dummy load...not sure what he used here, a MXR Phase 90, Flange, and EQ, EP3 Echoplex, into several beat Marshall 4x12's with god only knows what speakers, Sunset Sound Studio 1.... I think, Don Landee, and of course Edwards hands, skill and mind. Ralle 500 has nailed it as have others with lesser gear. I think most of it is in the hands.

superleadfixer

Reaction score
Guv'nor said:
superleadfixer said:
you could get yourseft the same basic deal with a cloned/replica 1959 amp for much cheaper

Any suggestion?

With the proper transformers, Cerrem (Merren audio) makes the best irons for those years (for 1959), you will need one of his 1.5" Dagnall OT his laydown PT set on 460(B+), the 1968 circuit (12series ones with the caps all inside the chassis except the phase inverter one, affects the flux...) with real Philips caps (Mustard), Sylviana 12ax7WA for the pres, and those big bottle 6CA7 also from Sylviana, RFT 12ax7 is as good IMHO for pres and xf2 (Mullard for the power section also), Ralle uses JJ, so go figure :?

Speakers, a few G12H30 the real ones (55hz and 75hz), a few G12M20 or 25w....that will count for a good 25%+ of the tone...amp is the other 25%, the difference will be in your hand that is a 50% of the tone right there.....

Tom Holmes's PAF copy or a Pearly Gate, EVH from SD is all great...a PAF type P/U...

I could build a 12series type amp with EVH specs in.....

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robbin Crosby my old guitarist at the time in 1980 bought four stacks
from him Eddie after a tour (Ps thats a great time to by equipment by the
way! lots of touring bands will totaly sell half thier equipment aftet a tour for
dirt cheep). The amps were Plexis that had been rewired and had oversized
transformers, and added master volume and effects loops in back, some were
metal faces some plexi.
robbin11aav9.jpg

Last edited:

clutch71

Reaction score

What did you do to "remove" Eddie's track? I've been looking for a way to do that for practice.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coldsteal, did you say Robin Crosby was YOUR old guitarist? Like RAT Robin Crosby?
KD

Yes, check out my myspace photos
played in three bands with him pre Ratt

Robbin in the upper left, im in the upper right, we were roomates
and band mates for three years starting in San Diego then we moved
to LA in 81, right after our last band split he joined up with Mickey Ratt
which later became Ratt
He was the best freind i ever had (RIP Cabber)

macmedajj6.jpg

macmedaliveatroxy81xa8.jpg

wkcchampion

Reaction score
I "resurrect" this old thread to share a thought I had yesterday.
A local Rock radio broadcast "runnin' with the devil" while I was coming back home, and I noticed the following.
First I thought it was my car audio system which was either broken or poor quality (hey it's a car radio) or teh broadcast was nto good enough, but going home I checked. I noticed that on the first Van Halen album, the rhythm guitar is almost completely panned on the left. On teh right, there are vocals and solos when present.

I'll do experiments in my DAW, but my sensation is that this influences the sound a lot. By leaving a small part (let's say 10%) on the right channel, an unique phasing effect is created, therefore giving the sound that very particular trebly edge.
Expert audio engineers know that just by changing the stereo image, the sound changes radically.

Let's hear yours.

ken361

Reaction score
Robbin Crosby my old guitarist at the time in 1980 bought four stacks
from him Eddie after a tour (Ps thats a great time to by equipment by the
way! lots of touring bands will totaly sell half thier equipment aftet a tour for
dirt cheep). The amps were Plexis that had been rewired and had oversized
transformers, and added master volume and effects loops in back, some were
metal faces some plexi.
robbin11aav9.jpg

of Ratt? Oh i see yeah you knew him, good guitar player R.I.P

Latest posts