Famous Guitar Teachers. Ever had one.

• Thread starter G the wildman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ItsGiusto

Reaction score
I have started having lessons with a very experienced guitarist who has toured and released albums.

The lessons are detailed and precise, small things go under the microscope and we work on them tirelessly for 2.5 hours each session. I have only had three lessons 2 or 3 weeks apart but they are improving my playing ability noticeably. I have had quite a few lessons with other tutors and worked hard, but I have not seen results like I am currently getting. My previous teachers were good, but this gentleman is on point. He wants me to improve.

Have you ever had a tutor who you think is outstanding.

Can you say who it is? (If you’re not comfortable, please PM me). Sounds like precisely the kind of teacher I’m looking for. Thanks
Same here, please let me know! I can never find a teacher to really dig in with me and help me figure out how to improve. It's more like, try this stuff, and let me know how it goes.

mojodelic

Reaction score
Not what you asked, but I took some lessons from a guy who took lessons from Joe Pass. Financial hardship forced me to stop taking them but he was good.

EFR

Reaction score
When we were in high school DBII taught me how to play a couple of SRV's tunes the right way. The thing that made him a great teacher for me was that we were both left handed, but I played right handed and he played a right handed guitar upside down and left handed so we could sit across from each other and it was almost mirrored, we were on the same wavelength and it just clicked for some reason. It didn't hurt that he probably had learned how to play those tunes from SRV himself.

Last edited:

Arrested Dev

Reaction score
are you doing these in person?

I have started having lessons with a very experienced guitarist who has toured and released albums.

The lessons are detailed and precise, small things go under the microscope and we work on them tirelessly for 2.5 hours each session. I have only had three lessons 2 or 3 weeks apart but they are improving my playing ability noticeably. I have had quite a few lessons with other tutors and worked hard, but I have not seen results like I am currently getting. My previous teachers were good, but this gentleman is on point. He wants me to improve.

Have you ever had a tutor who you think is outstanding.

G the wildman

Reaction score
are you doing these in person?
Yes.

He will not do anything less than 2.5 hours. Which is long. So I only go every 3 weeks. I also have to spend 3 hours driving the round trip. So quite a commitment.

But I thought I would have a dozen and see how it goes.

He is in charge and has a programme so would not be everyone’s cup of tea. But for now it is helping me.

G

GeeStrat

Reaction score
In the early 1990's I had lessons with a then session musician who was at the time working with Dave Stewart of Eurythmics. I started lessons with him in about 1991/92, when he was around 40.
He'd been a Singer and guitarists in the 1960s. Member of the Avalons, and Tales of Justine.
He was the first person ever to play "Joseph" in the original performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in 1968, and also sang the role and played lead guitar on the first recording, The Joseph Consortium 1969.
Joseph - 1969 Album
He worked as a session musician/singer from the 60's, and told me of how he used to sit in on some of the same sessions as Jimmy Page (pre L.Z). His musical knowledge and ability were outstanding. I was happy to pay £10/hr just to sit and listen to him play. Fond memories of the hours together. A great teacher and lovely man who has unfortunately since passed away.

Last edited:

dro

Reaction score
Sure, my teachers beginning back in the early 70's had names like Carlos Santana, Mark Farner, Jimmy Page, Tony Iommy, and Ritchie Blackmore.
It don't get much better than that.

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
Larry Meyer on Long Island NY. Larry can show you the essence of music, whatever you want to learn, he can instantly explain in detail. He studied under Lenny Tristano, Joe Satriani's teacher in Joe's formative years.

Larry is incredible and a great dude! He can listen to any music and tab it out right in front of you and explain how it all works together.

Check him out........Larry's favorite was always the Bird, Charlie Parker.

Deftone

Reaction score
No one famous, but my 1st instructor was too messy and disorganized for me to continue with. In his defense, he was very young at the time.

My 2nd instructor was awesome, fun to hang out with and I learned a lot from him. He continues to play professionally and I follow him on You Tube.

My last Instructor was very good but so regimented it wasn't fun so I stopped going to him.

V-man

Reaction score
Internet famous…

UNLESS he has a brother who looks absurdly identical, he used to go by Freddie Demarco in the early 90s. As for “Johnny” here, who looks the same (minus the Zoobas he used to wear) got quite a bit of ironic attention on guitar fora for years and there even exists a Johnny DeMarco Memes page on FB.

ETA: must have a brother/cousin. Freddie is “Angus” in a Cleveland AC/DC tribute band.

lespaul339

Reaction score
Been playing 25 years now. Self taught. Never had lessons. There's really no one in my area that could teach me anything, unfortunately. The only guitar lessons I ever see advertised are all for beginners. I wouldn't mind taking lessons from someone really knowledgeable though! I have had lots of people ask me to teach them how to play throughout the years. I've taught a few close friends and family members but that's about it.

My problem is I get bored running through scales and stuff like that. When something becomes a lesson and dives deep into theory, I get bored. I have to keep music fun for me to learn or I lose interest. The best way for me to practice or learn something new is to learn how to play songs and solos that I dig from my favorite players. I then usually take something like a cool lick from each thing I learn and move it up and down the neck and switch it up and play it in a different key and do my own thing with it and apply that to my way of playing.

I'm always looking for cool licks or phrases rather than wanting to learn scales and modes. Not that I don't know scales, but I find it boring running through them. It's not how I like to practice. Keeping it fun helps me learn. Also, listening to lots of different types of music is a great way to learn other styles and apply them to your own playing style.

G the wildman

Reaction score
I suspect he could teach even a very experienced player. His skills are phenomenal and as I said above, he wants me to learn. Lessons are only at his home.

G

Last edited: