fav amp you own

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Mesa Lonestar 2x12, gen 1. OK ok, it is 100 watts but switches down to 50, and that's all I have to offer. It is a beast of an amp, weighs a ton. Nice fat and warms cleans, and the drive channel is really flexible. Also, a freaking pain in the @ss to dial in, but it is a Mesa so that is to be expected. My Marshall (SC20H) is my anti-Mesa amp. Simple, fun, don't have to struggle with it to get to a good place tonewise. But they're both awesome.

Deftone

Reaction score
My Phaez Nailbomb. If I could only have one amp this would be the one.

Phaez Nailbomb .jpg

I asked Randy for a 20w 6L6 Mesa Dual Rec with a loop. Randy said it's closer to 35w and the Dual Rec is the same as a Soldano. It sounds good with every guitar, speaker, cab, pedal or pickup I throw at it. Hands down the best amp I have ever played.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
20220505_142749 (2).jpg
Fractal Axe FX III MK II, What do I like about it? EVERYTHING!
There are modelers and then there is the Fractal which is in another league.
When I get a new amp the first thing I do is roll tubes and find out which ones I like best with that amp. Then I bias it to where I like it. I can do that with the Axe Fx with out getting a screw driver or multimeter. This alone is worth the price of admission and most guys don't even say anything about it.

rainsound

Reaction score
My Mesa Boogie Rev G Triple Rectifier. It is by far one of most Versatile tone and best clean tone I've ever experienced in one amp

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
46761C1B-0D15-4F60-86EE-F29332A54E6E.jpeg

Fractal FM3. Also still love my Helix floor. Sent the Kemper stage packing, couldn’t gel with the interface.

50 watt amps I wish I still had?
Crate stealth half stack
Peavey Triumph 60 with the vertical 2x12 cabinet.
Some Randall that I had in late 80s, with the extension cab. That may have been 80 watt though?

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
My favorite non Marshall amp is my ‘57 champ.

For me it is a bedroom amp or at least it’s the quietest amp I own. I get a bit of speaker breakup at 4 or so even with single coils from my strat or tele so it’s very inspiring for rock, blues, punk, jazz etc.

Much like how there isn’t much to hide behind with a Marshall the same is true with a simple amp like this. All there is, is just volume, nothing else to distract from the core idea that is playing something that sounds pleasing to the ear.

It doesn’t get much louder after 6 or so on the volume with either channel. There’s just more distortion from the amp itself until it caves in on itself and sounds like a fuzz pedal at 10 and above with a 12ax7 in on either channel

That’s another pro for the champ. It’ll never be a pain to retube needing only 3 but what a world of difference the 3 tubes make.

My champ sounded rough with the stock 5y3gt so I threw in a Phillips that seems to have made the distortion or transition to breakup more even I suppose. Not long after I threw an old ken rad 6v6 that seems to have made the amp sound and feel a bit fuller and louder than stock.

Last but not least I’ve been rolling preamp tubes. Lowest I tend to go with is a CBS 5751 since it cleans the amp up a bit compared to a 12ax7. Sometimes I’ll throw a GE rebranded Hammond 12ax7 but I typically have a gold pin RFT 12ax7 in there since it just sounded like the best preamp tube I had A/B’ing them all in the amp with a looper and playing them. The champ is great for comparing tubes imo

I haven’t even gotten into the difference in sound between channel 1 and 2 with how they react to preamp tubes, how responsive it is to your volume and tone knob, the pleasant speaker breakup after you’ve broken it in, or how the sound falls apart in a glorious way like a fuzz pedal with a 12ax7 in and the volume past 9 or so. There’s a lot of fun to be had with simplicity or at least there is for me

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pro Junior ....best piece of over-the-counter gear you can buy
Killer Marshally /Tweedy overdrive at your fingertips ....tone
AND if you know how to work it , an absolute killer acoustic guitar amp
There's a reason I own 5 (besides hoarding)

Thre's a reason people like Jeff Beck , Dan Baird and Tom Petty use "em
Petty had one as his backstage amp .I heard him warmin up through it ,sounded incredible

Blues Junior , NO

Mrmadd

Reaction score
SOMEBODY ELSE MAKES AMPS OTHER THAN MARSHALL ???

ARE YOU SURE THEY ARE GUITAR AMPS??

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Pro Junior ....best piece of over-the-counter gear you can buy
Killer Marshally /Tweedy overdrive at your fingertips ....tone
AND if you know how to work it , an absolute killer acoustic guitar amp
There's a reason I own 5 (besides hoarding)

Thre's a reason people like Jeff Beck , Dan Baird and Tom Petty use "em
Petty had one as his backstage amp .I heard him warmin up through it ,sounded incredible

Blues Junior , NO
aint nothing wrong with a blues jr. plenty of people use them.
not all in the right way but they do. easy to mod too. BillM showed us that
many of times. RIP Bill.

Tincup

Reaction score
Oh, non Marshall. One of these , depending on the occasion. I like them all due to the dirty sounds you can get when you push them. they are all similar in this way. 7506FF16-BCAB-4A0B-8615-EB0800134E76.jpegD1C47F9D-49AD-4422-BB95-9BF9B0050666.jpeg97F535D4-EA4A-4BC5-9AA7-8BB55C8DFF03.jpeg

Last edited: