fav amp you own

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lenheyvan

Reaction score
If it's not Marshall, David Bray is the best.

I did a one wire mod on this amp.

See how the input jack is a switch?
That's the switch that puts it in one-wire mode.

This is my best guitar amp ever!

Sound is this!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220327_104931_363~(1)~(1)~(1).jpg
    IMG_20220327_104931_363~(1)~(1)~(1).jpg
    820 KB · Views: 4

bassmastermkii

Reaction score
the Axe 2 is really nice.
I actually sold all my high gain amps in favor of the Axe 2. Blasphemy, I know!

HG amps squish the tone so much and the Axe2 is so easy to “mod”: tubes, bias, depth, NFB, bright cap value and composition, that I ended very happy with the ability to still control the gain with the control volume knob.

Still! I really miss my 2103 and boogie F-50 but I don’t miss tuning/modding every amp I buy!

Athana

Reaction score
Mesa Boogie MKIV Combo (SimuClass Tweed is 15 Watts) The amp can basically can do everything pretty well and it has wheels..I just roll it out from under my computer desk warm it up and wa la.After it warms up for a couple of hours it becomes more fluid.
There is no clip of " the" sound as it can be most things pretty well. It's a real everything amp.
I have 4 other amps but I don't really play them..the Vox AC30BM 30 Watts or 15 Watts half power sounded very good last time I played it..in clean Beatles..and then with a really good overdrive but I haven't played it in 6-7 years

doc mckenna

Reaction score
Traynor amps. Ycs50 head. The classic bassmaster is great like a superlead, but the ycs has a lot more option including reverb

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I actually sold all my high gain amps in favor of the Axe 2. Blasphemy, I know!

HG amps squish the tone so much and the Axe2 is so easy to “mod”: tubes, bias, depth, NFB, bright cap value and composition, that I ended very happy with the ability to still control the gain with the control volume knob.

Still! I really miss my 2103 and boogie F-50 but I don’t miss tuning/modding every amp I buy!
yeah i dont get to play my boogie F50 much. its damn loud. probably the loudest 50 on the planet.
i want a AXE2 but i hear its not to user friendly. your thoughts on that?

Marshman

Reaction score
1652104906895.png

I'm defintiely a low power junkie. I love my Epi Valve jrs. The combo with the 8" speaker does a great Keef tone with my tele, and the heads can easily drive a larger cab for decent volume at reasonable volume jams. All my 'regular' units are fitted with good, vintage US made tubes.

1652105054106.png

Continuing the low-power phase is the Fender Excelsior. 13 watts of push-pull 6V6GT joy. Also refit with very high grade vintage US tubes (selected for maximum headroom) but additionally with a 1960s US made Jensen P15R. With my Les Paul, it absolutely nails Billy Gibbons tones. Not sure what else it can do, because that particular tone is soooo satisfying. I have a second one set up with an Altec 15 and JJ6V6S and use it for backing up acoustics.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Victory V30 the Jack Mark II. 42 or 7 watts, simple, 4 modes, big British sound on clean, medium or high gain. Some victory amps can be dark, but not this updated model. External bias pots, 6l6 or el34 power tubes, great sag and responsiveness.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Victory V30 the Jack Mark II. 42 or 7 watts, simple, 4 modes, big British sound on clean, medium or high gain. Some victory amps can be dark, but not this updated model. External bias pots, 6l6 or el34 power tubes, great sag and responsiveness.
use to hear a lot about victory amps but it seems the buzz has died down on them.
any idea why? ive never played one.

mulletmule

Reaction score
Ok I didn’t catch the 50 watts or less part of the question…. So I’ll say my Friedman Pink Taco.

No clips. But to be fair there’s really not much of a DB difference from 50 to 100 watts really.

I look at the PT-20 as a nice backup to the BE100. But you could play a stadium with it.

John Stedman

Reaction score
My favorite non-Marshall under 50 watts would have to be my Roland Jazz Chorus-40 with a Wampler Plexi-drive Deluxe and a TC Spark mini in front. Best thing about it besides the sound is it's only 35 lbs.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Ok I didn’t catch the 50 watts or less part of the question…. So I’ll say my Friedman Pink Taco.

No clips. But to be fair there’s really not much of a DB difference from 50 to 100 watts really.

I look at the PT-20 as a nice backup to the BE100. But you could play a stadium with it.
yeah im setting on a good deal on a PT should i want it.
these are great amps. marshall killers.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
My favorite non-Marshall under 50 watts would have to be my Roland Jazz Chorus-40 with a Wampler Plexi-drive Deluxe and a TC Spark mini in front. Best thing about it besides the sound is it's only 35 lbs.
wow a jazz chorus. a unexpected entry. very cool.

MojoWorking

Reaction score
Fender 65 reissue Blackface Deluxe Reverb. 22watts of killer clean chime and reverb as well as a great early breakup overdrive/distortion. Light to carry too!

Tommy Vaux

Reaction score
thats NOT a marshall, AND what you like about it. 50 watts or less. triode switch does not count.
oh and please, for the love of gawd post a video clip from youtube or something
so we can all know what amp your talking about. will be ignore by many but
everybody can do it.
I have a Carvin Vintage 16 that sounds great and a Peavey Classic 50 (modded to 23w). Love them both. Also like the OD channel on my Bogner Alchemist. But still love my Marshall TSL 100 (modded to 50w).

ExpatZ

Reaction score
That would be my trusty and long owned Yamaha T100C that had a buch of work done by Mike Soldano himself that includes a super cool depth mod on the negative feedback.
Basically fixed it to be an SLO like he wanted them to make.
Sounds epic, like an awesome SLO only better, more claritry with higher gain yet still fat and huge at lower gain settings aned always always singing.
It sings just sitting there with the guitar volume turned off.
Best sounding gain amp I have ever played through.
For cleane nothing ever beat my 67 Fender Showman, super Fender sparkle cleanes at ear bleeding levels if required.
Sadly that is no more so I am building a little Matchless EF86 channle clone to get me something new that I also love the sound of.

t100c.jpg

spacerealm

Reaction score
that's easy. the 1960 Brown Fender Super Amp is by far my fave next to the Marshall. I can't believe how good this thing sounds. especially since I put Celestion Alnico Gold's in it. I'm Surprised ya don't see more cats using these. they're pricey but not incredibly rare ;)

Attachments

• 20220507_185621 - Copy.jpg
    20220507_185621 - Copy.jpg
    954.5 KB · Views: 1