Favorite Recorded Marshalls on a Song or Album (legendary or current)

• Thread starter LoudStroud
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

colchar

Reaction score
The SV20 will definitely get you there. And believe it or not, the SC20 110 combo totally nails that tone. The 10” speaker in conjunction with the amp approximates that singing tone so close. And at a manageable volume.

I used to have an '83 JCM800 2203, so think this time I'd go for the Super Lead type amp.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Couldn’t pick a favourite, too many!
Definitely Appetite for Destruction made me want to learn to play guitar & dream of a Marshall & Les Paul.

As an Aussie kid, AC/DC & Cold Chisel were radio staples, and among my favorite tones. Ian Moss is absolutely brilliant and an all time favourite guitarist of mine.

Agree with many of those already listed, but a couple of awesome tones I've always loved are
Mick Jones

And Steve Lukather

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Sa
Ever heard their tone when the guitars are isolated? Nowhere near as good. But put them together and in the full band context?
Same goes for any isolated guitar tracks I’ve ever heard , even Eddie’s . The worst I’ve heard is Richie Blackmore’s , really thin and horrible , but sounds great with the rest of the band .

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Couldn’t pick a favourite, too many!
Definitely Appetite for Destruction made me want to learn to play guitar & dream of a Marshall & Les Paul.

As an Aussie kid, AC/DC & Cold Chisel were radio staples, and among my favorite tones. Ian Moss is absolutely brilliant and an all time favourite guitarist of mine.

Agree with many of those already listed, but a couple of awesome tones I've always loved are
Mick Jones

And Steve Lukather

The AFD guitar’s sound killer no question.

LoudStroud

Reaction score
More fabulous tracks shared! Here's few more to add for the morning. Once again, unadulterated guitar-cord-Marshall examples...

The white-faced mime Zal Cleminson w Sensational Alex Harvey Band. SG thru what sounds like a straight up 50 Watt Lead half stack.

More LP Jr's and Marshall's (not quite unadulterated... a phaser thrown in for good measure). Lou Reed's dynamic duo, Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner.

Another Foreigner example...Great riff, stupid lyrics, KILLER tone, as Mick Jones always had. Once I happened into a friend's recording studio in lower Manhattan, where I stumbled upon Mick Jones' personal writing/ demo room. Low and behold, his sacred LP Custom sitting on a guitar stand, next to his 100W slightly modified metal front used on all of the hits...I'm assuming including this one.

'2204'

Reaction score
For me [and I`m showing my age] it was Eric Clapton`s 'live tones' on Cream`s 1968 dbl LP 'Wheels of Fire' [Crossroads & Spoonful]. I was introduced to Cream, Zeppelin`s 1st LP, & Jeff Beck`s 'Truth' all at the same time [mid 1969] & those 3 LPs changed me drastically. Back then 'classic rock' was in its infancy & was basically 'underground music' meaning none of it was played on the local AM radio stations [and any 'underground' FM stations were only found in the major US cities]. So it was all 'word of mouth' back then [for me anyway] learning about these band`s equipment & Marshall amps were a big part of those conversations & is the reason why I own a couple of them [both sinlge channel JCM 800s].

FutureProf88

Reaction score
All great. Like A Rolling Stone at Monterey was on my list as well. One of the first I had heard as a kid (seeing the movie int he theatre) and still a "reference tone" today. Made me want a Strat too.

The closest I ever got to that tone was using a Charvel Model 6, through a 1967 Fender Bassman running mismatched through an 8 ohm cabinet. I'd jumped the channels on the Bassman and the bass channel had the bass all the way off and treble all the way up and was running just loud enough to give some girth to the sound. The normal channel was pretty much cranked with the EQ set more to accentuate the treble, but with the bass not turned all the way off. I hadn't even heard the Monterey recording yet but it was making that same chunky sound that you hear at the beginning of the song. Later when I heard the recording at Monterey I was like "THAT'S THE SOUND I GOT OUT OF MY BASSMAN!" Ironically enough I've never succeeded in getting that sound out of a Marshall, even a JTM 45/100 clone.

PelliX

Reaction score
I'm going to assume that Jimmy used a Marshall for Whole Lotta Love. If not, I stand corrected. But that riff still brings on GAS for me...

jeffb

Reaction score
This is tough- I can go with 5- most are from live albums/performances

Anything Robbo- Lizzy, Motorhead, Wild Horses, dude just has magic tone fingers.
timestamped for the solo bit

Early Schenker (and Chuck Berry) is the reason I play guitar- I prefer the 70s, early 80s period

Early Adrian Smith

This was one of my favorite tones before I ever started to play guitar- may still be my ultimate fave- Gibson 3x5 through a 50 watt metal face NMV.

This is more of a "recent" favorite as I only discovered it in the last 15 years or so

jimmyo

Reaction score
Great selections so far, a lot from the 60's, 70's, & 80's for sure. Thought I'd add some of my favorites from this century:

Allison Robertson, super underrated, great straight-up rock tones with JCM2000's:

Allison Robertson.jpeg

Satriani when he went back to Marshall using JVMs, gets some of his best tones IMO (music at 1:22):

Lzzy Hale, plays JCM800s on tour, also a total badass and IMO the best rock vocalist out there today:

Plus have to include Maiden with a wall of Marshalls. I think they were using JCM2000's during Brave New World

Last edited: