• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Fender Master Volume Twin Reverb

• Thread starter 1967owner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Get an earlier, non MV one. Closest you can get to the silverface changeover ie drip edge 67/68 is best. I see a lot of Twins in general around. most are overpriced and not moving so you can haggle.
The later 70s issues, the lead dress got suckier and suckier. The earlier they are, the closer they are to blackface to begin with, and they already have and will continue to have better resale value.
I personally would look at other SF models, tons of which are around and theyre starting to go up in $$$. But if you're looking for the loudest thing on earth with no breakup it's the one to have. There's a reason they're on every single backline on the entire friggin planet.

1967owner

Reaction score
I don't really know how much difference there is in the end sound between the non-master and master volume silverfaces. My favorite twin to date was a non-master volume silverface that was blackfaced. Great amp. Mine is still silverface specs, and it sounds good in that silverface way, but not in that great blackface spec way.
I did have my 68 NMV SF set to BF specs. The difference was subtle i.e. not that noticeable. It's been a real workhorse over the years, probably my most used amp back when I was young and strong.

What?

Reaction score
I did have my 68 NMV SF set to BF specs. The difference was subtle i.e. not that noticeable. It's been a real workhorse over the years, probably my most used amp back when I was young and strong.

Good to know. My master volume twin will eventually get turned back. It's a nice clean amp as is. But that non-master blackfaced twin was the sweetest sounding amp when cranked up. It had a really warm set of Webers in it and just sounded syrupy and crazy responsive to bending. One of the magic ones that got away. My master volume twin would kill someone if it were cranked up like that.

jmp45

Reaction score
I have a 74 or 75 silver face mv twin I reverted to a black face. I didn't have any drive pedals in the mid 70s so I popped out the master volume. Yeah, not a fan ;) Good for cleans and pedals seem to like it. It wasn't quite heavy enough so I loaded with a couple coffee can sros ;)

74_twin_front.jpg

74_twin_rear.jpg

I was inspired by Keaggy's twins from the 70s loaded with EVs ^^. He gigged locally with 2 of them tilted back mic'd with moving blankets over them.

Wildeman

Reaction score
SF MV Twin= Super Wife Pisser offer today:mad2:
:lalala:
I got the "why do you even have that thing" jive!

1967owner

Reaction score
I have a 74 or 75 silver face mv twin I reverted to a black face. I didn't have any drive pedals in the mid 70s so I popped out the master volume. Yeah, not a fan ;) Good for cleans and pedals seem to like it. It wasn't quite heavy enough so I loaded with a couple coffee can sros ;)

74_twin_front.jpg

74_twin_rear.jpg

I was inspired by Keaggy's twins from the 70s loaded with EVs ^^. He gigged locally with 2 of them tilted back mic'd with moving blankets over them.

Yes, the SROs are nice sounding speakers. My Twin is loaded with orange back JBLs but I have a 2x12 extension cab with the coffee can SROs as well. Each speaker gives its own distinctive sound to the Twin.

marcusin

Reaction score
SF TR 135 watt, unplug reverb tank, plug a RCA jumper to the in and out, 1 or 2 Marshall 4 x 12 's vol on 10 treb 3 mid on 8 bass on 3 reverb on 10 MV pulled and to start less than 1 ajust to the room. JCM 800 WHO ?

tschrama

Reaction score
Later SF twins have a treble peaker over the MV pot. IMHO that is horrible. If you snip out that treble peaker, the MV works just fine and you can crank the reverb channel volume for overdrive, or back it of for wonderfull cleans.

Sledge Johnson

Reaction score
Currently rebuilding my '71 ('72 ?) 100 W, MV, Non-Pull Boost. Utah speakers (best I can tell)
Particle board baffle (water damaged) and grill cloth frame (destroyed)
One speaker really buzzes, either warped frame or needs reconed... how to tell ?
Am considering MOD 12-70 if replacement required due to low budget. Thoughts?

Want to sell this amp, but want it in acceptable reliable working condition. Have found an overhaul kit that seems reasonable @ $155
caps and resistors. Haven't got to the reverb tank just yet... have repaired the cabinet to a good condition. Have an early Mesa tube set from the ~ 91-95 era (chinese ? idk)

Unable to spend much in this amp and would need to recoup parts costs plus a base price.
Was thinking ~$ 1,200

Any input is welcomed!
Thanks

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Saw a 1973 the other day. Asking price was $1000. What's the verdict on MV Twin Reverbs and is this a reasonable price? Thanks guys.
If it’s nice condition, a $1000 for a early ‘70’s Twin is reasonable. Remember that current prices for guitars, amps, cars, food etc. has increased.

Twin Reverbs are great amps, I’ve owned 3 vintage BF Twins and 3 vintage SF Twins. I owned a master volume 1972 twin that sounded as good as any that I’ve owned. If you like, big full, crystal clear cleans, you can’t go wrong wit a twin.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Honestly I like the Pro Reverb better than the Twin. It's essentially the half power version of the Twin and is massively underrated. It's more usable, not being quite so loud. Having owned both I'd take the Pro next time. In fact I've chosen to keep my SF ultralinear Pro as the keeper of all the Fenders I've had in recent years.

It does that lush, beautiful "floating on a sea of clouds with the sun shining on you" reverby clean tone like nobody's business. There are a lot of good sounding clean tones coming out of a lot of amps these days but nothing that compares to THAT.

colchar

Reaction score
Vintage Traynor YGL3s have master volumes and are arguably better amps than Twins from the same era. They can also be had for significantly less money.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
People say so many strange things about MV fenders from the 70s. I have a quad reverb converted to a single 15"jbl that I gigged the heck out of back in the day. Preamp on 10, got nice warm plexus style crunch and sing out of it....before tubescreamers were around. I got it used in 77, had to be from 70-75. You could not steal a Marshall in the rural areas I was from...I use Marshalls and a Soldano now...but still own that good old Fender rock machine.

Last edited:

Latest posts