Fender Telecasters for Metal music.

• Thread starter Tommy Griffiths
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
I really like mine, and I mostly play 80's type 'metal'. The 7.5" radius is not conducive to shredding. At least not for me. I'd like to try a g&l though.

Tommy Griffiths

Reaction score
Tele's for metal, Perfect. People underestimate Single Coils and immediately think 'Buzz' and 'Humm'. Yes, They do...But you learn to control it. My Tele hums when I play metal but in the mix, It isn't noticable and most people ask me if I am really using a Tele. Although my main area of music is Pub Rock, In which the Telecaster is the most popular guitar to be associated with the genre. (Wilko Johnson, Mick Green etc).

zslane

Reaction score
Until Teles start sporting a 7th string as a common feature, they'll never be suitable for modern metal. :headbanger:

I keed! I keed! :lol::lol::lol:

X2203xman

Reaction score
campbells tones are among my favorites. sometimes he makes it sound more like a violin or something....the sustain and compression...and always with the tasty notes.

he's an underrated player imo.
Yeah man sweet compressed syrup..yummy

chuckelator

Reaction score
i do like my tele too.

ive just done some more work to it, getting it set up properly. i havent had it very long, and finally realized the nut was cut too high...i shaved that down and re-intonated, and shes much more accurate and feels a lot easier now. ive been playing it quite a bit lately. i miss the 22nd fret playing it though. not that i run up that high very often, but when its not there....you know it.

fucker digs into my ribs like crazy though....that guitar will fatigue my shoulder faster than any other...its generally pretty uncomfortable for me...but some nice tones for sure.

hey chuck, did you get your egnater channels worked out yet?

Nah, not yet...My buddy still has the amp. His band went out on tour in Canada before I could get it back from him...He's back now though, I should give him a call....HAHA

*edit* Actually, I think my Tele setup would confuse people... Heavy strings, high action = sonic bliss to me. It's not an easy player if you're used to something like an Ibanez or Jackson, But I got used to it, and I don't think I'd have it any other way. Maybe a hair lower, but I like the feeling of actually having to push my strings to the fretboard as opposed to just touching the strings.

Dave666

Reaction score
Since I got my Squier Classic Vibe Tele, i can't put it down.That guitar has so much clarity and bite it's a whole new experience for me. Before I got it, I used my V the most, but I was in a rut and played the same old scales over and over. Now I have a new sound and it feels like I'm discovering some unknown territory on my fretboard (for me)
To answer the question, I use my tele in a black/thrash metal band (80's Venom, bathory influenced) and it does the job, for me!!!

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
Nah, not yet...My buddy still has the amp. His band went out on tour in Canada before I could get it back from him...He's back now though, I should give him a call....HAHA

*edit* Actually, I think my Tele setup would confuse people... Heavy strings, high action = sonic bliss to me. It's not an easy player if you're used to something like an Ibanez or Jackson, But I got used to it, and I don't think I'd have it any other way. Maybe a hair lower, but I like the feeling of actually having to push my strings to the fretboard as opposed to just touching the strings.

i like heavy strings too, and medium action, maybe medium high. ive got too many bad habits to play light stings. too heavy handed, i hit hard, light strings vibrate sharp and sound shitty when i play them. and i pull chords out of tune all the time haha.

bad habits. i like .012's, but a lot of the stores dont keep them on the shelves reliably, so i had to go back to 011's. theyre ok, but i sound better playing 012's. i can beat the crap out of them and they dont blink haha....

chuckelator

Reaction score
i like heavy strings too, and medium action, maybe medium high. ive got too many bad habits to play light stings. too heavy handed, i hit hard, light strings vibrate sharp and sound shitty when i play them. and i pull chords out of tune all the time haha.

bad habits. i like .012's, but a lot of the stores dont keep them on the shelves reliably, so i had to go back to 011's. theyre ok, but i sound better playing 012's. i can beat the crap out of them and they dont blink haha....

I play 11's, and would never go any lower...I may try to find 12's one of these days, and re-setup my tele. I really good with controlling my pick attack, but generally, I like hammering the shit out of my guitars. I love the feeling of really letting in to my guitar. I feel almost as if my guitar is talking back to me when I hammer the shit out of it, where if I play lightly, I don't get much back. Also the reason I tend to lean toward guitars with no tremolo, and especially string thru bodies...

Tommy Griffiths

Reaction score
I play 11's, and would never go any lower...I may try to find 12's one of these days, and re-setup my tele. I really good with controlling my pick attack, but generally, I like hammering the shit out of my guitars. I love the feeling of really letting in to my guitar. I feel almost as if my guitar is talking back to me when I hammer the shit out of it, where if I play lightly, I don't get much back. Also the reason I tend to lean toward guitars with no tremolo, and especially string thru bodies...

I use 13's and 14's as a personal choice. Anything under 12 is too flimsy and thin for me personally. But thick strings are hard to come by and most of the time you have to end up buying them off the internet or getting a custom set made.

sccloser

Reaction score
Long story short. I played a gig a couple of years ago and brought 3 guitars...SG, Strat and Tele. Strat was a HSS. Tele was a 99 US stock. Playing through a '86 2205 JCM 800 full stack. During sound checks, the SG and Tele were great, and the strat just came across thin. I had brought the tele for just a couple of songs, but I decided to use it for all strat songs after sound check. During the gig, it was just rippin'! I actually played it in a couple of songs I would have used the SG but the Tele was tearing it up so much that I just kept playing her! When we saw the video of the gig later, everyone was commenting on how my Tele was cutting through.
We play classic rock. But a Tele on the bridge pup through a strong Marshall or Boogie amp will flat shock you if you try it.

TKOjams

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-w_Vv7M6XA&feature=related]John 5 - Welcome to violence (Official Video) - YouTube[/ame]

Tommy Griffiths

Reaction score
Tom Morello can get some HEAVY tones out of his Tele. Good example is the song Killing In The Name, You can hear the Chug and the heavy Chords. And some Audioslave stuff is quite heavy.

zslane

Reaction score
Tom Morello can get some HEAVY tones out of his Tele. Good example is the song Killing In The Name, You can hear the Chug and the heavy Chords. And some Audioslave stuff is quite heavy.
I'd love to hear the isolated guitar tracks prior to studio mixing/engineering. I wouldn't be surprised to find they aren't nearly as heavy as the final mix suggests.

Tommy Griffiths

Reaction score
I'd love to hear the isolated guitar tracks prior to studio mixing/engineering. I wouldn't be surprised to find they aren't nearly as heavy as the final mix suggests.

When I saw them live, He used the Tele for all of the songs and it was still quite heavy, There was a bit of buzz when the band wasn't playing but being a Tele, Thats expected. He was using a Marshall JCM 800 head and a peavey cabinet.

zslane

Reaction score
When I saw them live, He used the Tele for all of the songs and it was still quite heavy, There was a bit of buzz when the band wasn't playing but being a Tele, Thats expected. He was using a Marshall JCM 800 head and a peavey cabinet.

Live settings are their own beast though, y'know? With the way amps are set up for live rock performances, with so much emphasis on bass thump and gain, the guitar used becomes almost irrelevant. Besides, most of the heaviness usually comes from the bass and drums, and I don't imagine that is really any different with RATM than any other rock band.

I remember seeing live footage of Obituary and was amazed at how thin and light the guitar tones were; it turns out virtually all the heaviness was being delivered by the bass player. I'm sure most folks watching would have assumed a good chunk of it was coming from the guitars, which it wasn't (made quite evident when the bassist would stop playing momentarily here and there).

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
toms studio tone is clean as a whistle...well, almost.

the bass tends to have more overdrive on it than the guitars do on some of those memorable riffs.

im not sure id call rage metal either, not ina classical sense.