Fender USA vs MIM

• Thread starter veryLOUDdsl100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

R.Kandy

Reaction score
IMO an MIA Strat, is far better quality, and well worth the extra $$$. What do you guys think of the MIA vs MIJ Strats? I have both and really can't tell the difference.

Rozman62

Reaction score
Own 4 MIA strats and 0 MIM strats. I have played a few really good MIM strats but couldn't keep them in tune after playing with SRV-like intensity. Guitars were setup pretty good so I think the tuners were shit+1. If I found a MIM strat I liked for $200-ish I would most likely buy it and spend less than $100 on part upgrades.

All4Tone

Reaction score
I've owned many Strats, both mia and mim.
There is a difference in the pickups for sure and sometimes in the hardware, but the reality is, unless you have money to burn, the bang for buck on an mim Strat is tough to argue with. I put a set of Texas Specials on one of my mim Strats and it is excellent. No tuning issues whatsoever, actually, no issues at all. I have a 78 usa Strat that i'll keep forever, but the newer neck profiles fit me better. my fave for now is an 88 usa Strat with some aftermarket pickups, new caps and nice pots, but i bought it from CL and the guy didn;t know what the mods were. It was done well and sounds better than any of my other Strats, but still, even the mim's I have sound different from each other, some excellent, some got pickup swaps.
I also have a few Teles and although this is about Strats, I can tell you that the BEST bang for buck in a Tele is the Squier Classic Vibe Custom, but only if you swap the pickups, still, they are very nicely made, shielded with shielding paint on the inside and well finished - at least as good as the usa Teles, but these are made in China and sell cheap. add in the cost of a set of lollars and you have a very nice guitar. Change the hardware too and you have a guitar that is better than what comes out of the usa factories for way less money. I went in to a local music store, asking to see all their usa Teles and frankly, this Chinese built Squier had a nicer fit and finish than all the other Teles on the rack, no matter where they were made. The only thing is that the pickups were weak and lifeless. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and I gotta say that it took me a long time to get over seeing that Squier logo on my guitar, but I simply couldn't just leave it there for that price. Never tried any Squier CVC Strats though.
I agree with buying to support the economy in your own country, but there comes a time when you just have to look at what you get for the money. by the way, last time i looked, it wasn't the unions making guitars so expensive.. It's just typical corporation pricing, no matter what the employees get paid.
Politics aside, the bang for buck winner is not usually the usa made guitars. Don't get me wrong though, I love all my us built axes and I have a pile of them. I recently had to make a deal with my wife, that i wouldn't have any more than 42 guitars at a time, just to keep the peace in the house. If you think guitars are pricey, try going through a couple of divorces....

madDdog67

Reaction score
I just got an American Special HSS Strat a couple of weeks ago. In all honesty, I was NOT impressed in any way with that guitar. The tuners were shite, the thing didn't play that well, and it took HOURS to get the trem set up right. I sent it back after about a week.

While I wasn't expecting the same quality as my '83 American Standard, I thought it would at least hold it's own against some of my imports. My PRS SE is a much better feeling, more solid guitar, and it was $200 cheaper, for example.

If you're disappointed in the American Standard at this point, I'm thinking Fender quality has really gone down hill over the last decade or two. I guess you'll have to get a sig model to get anything decent.

At this point, I think I would rather have a MIM--I'd be going into that *expecting* the quality to be a little less. Honestly, I may just pick up a '60s Vibe and call it a day.

javier pintos

Reaction score
hi guys, sorry to get upset when i read that things that come out of mexico is garbage

anyway i work for a corporation that is in the automotive industry (for more than 50 years and is one of the leaders worldwide at what they do) and have provided services for other companies that are in the automotive industry as well, car manufacturers set the standards and the QC for supplies not the manufacturers of the parts or suppliers outside the original country where the car was designed

how many recals have been made by american cars?

I also happen to be close to a guy that use to work at fender mexico in the procurement department, yes fender USA specified the materials and the suppliers, the CNC equipment cut the materials and some guys put the guitars toghether

I also worked in the USA for some time in the window making industry (really long time ago in my ollege age), i use to cut material, assemble windows, pack them and ship them, and this was in the michiana area, let me tell you that i use to reject finished (by american guys and girls) products, but my supervisor would say that they must meet the demand so i should ship them regardless of how the product was finished

yes i have also worked on mexican companies that would do the same

one thing i can tell you is that companies build products for the masses and usually there is a management team that sets the standards for pure margin/profit, other companies really care of what they are deliveringso do not start with the yeap a country is producing shit because it is what it produces

yes i like my USA Gibsons and my made in indonesia squier

so really forgive me for getting upset at the comments regarding mexico

slide222

Reaction score
is the hss the only jumbo fret option , cause i'd realy like a standard strat with jumbo frets , but have only found hss with this option and I've noticed that they don't come with a split coil switch as standard which does surprize me

1neeto

Reaction score
is the hss the only jumbo fret option , cause i'd realy like a standard strat with jumbo frets , but have only found hss with this option and I've noticed that they don't come with a split coil switch as standard which does surprize me

I can't stand jumbo frets. I used to like them when I first started but now I can't play a jumbo fretted guitar.

slide222

Reaction score
each to their own , I find the damping variations are endless with the fretting hand , and I can dampen lightly while playin 2 or3 note chords something thatcan sound very effective

poeman33

Reaction score

Most Strats come with jumbo frets and have for years. Only certain models will have the thinner frets, usually the "vintage" models. I tried out an American Special and it was pretty good. Similar the the Highway 1, which they replaced. But obviously there are bad ones out there.

I'm not sure what model you are referring to. A split coil switch isn't the norm for a Strat...so I don't know which range you are referring to. But, it would make no sense to have a split coil on an SSS. The reason for it is to make the humbucker sound like a single.

slide222

Reaction score
:jam:I thought all HSS models came with a humbucker at the bridge , but i'm still investigating so I might be wrong , the reason why fender don't include a coil split switch with the humbucker at bridge still iludes me - it seems an obvious selling point-super strat to vintage strat sound click
edit-just had 45 minutes on my cheap as chips Jackson pro- I think these retail at not too much over £200 , and it has a great strat sound new strings aweek ago - 2 single coils and a humbucker at the bridge , and it has jumbo frets and a split coil switch and I must admit I play it mostly in single coil mode and tru the JTM I watt head and g12 80 the harmonics I can bring out in differing aspects by differing the damping , particulary in bm , but it works in all keys -dolly dagger never sounded better - I love the combo of jumbo frets and single coils -rory gallager could do it with normal frets , but sadly at my age I need a step up

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
$250 for a used MIM vs $1200 for a new MIA. Its a no brainer unless you got the bucks, and I'm sure there will be some differences but not enough for me to cough up a ton of money more.

poeman33

Reaction score
:jam:I thought all HSS models came with a humbucker at the bridge

HSS = Humbucker Single Single
SSS = Single Single Single
HH = Humbucker Humbucker

That being said...most of the current body routs for Fender Strats are HSH, so you can change the configuration readily.

slide222

Reaction score
that explains somewhat , thanks , but I've just been looking at a black (must be mim)HH blacktop strat , brand new £599, in uk and it has a bridge humbucker , and two single coil pickups so maybe that is listed wrong or fender have moved to new codes - it is a confusing array of strats available for sure , as I thought a black top had 2 humbuckers, but its all a lesson

jwebb1970

Reaction score
Having visited both Ensenada & Corona factories in the past during one of the Fender factory tours they provide to dealers, I can say that the nationality of the factory worker has zero effect on the quality of instrument. At the time of my visit, I would estimate that about 35-40% of the entire Ensenada staff were US citizens (granted, most of them were management in the head office or on the factory floor...).

US Fenders could be built 100% by orangutans in Corona, CA or any other US location - if said apes were trained to use the US factory's machinery, paint room & utilize the US parts....they would still be making US built Fenders. Setups might be inconsistent, though..... ;)

The real differences btwn US & Mexico factories are not that great, esp in the years AFTER I took the tour. When I was down there in 1998, a lot of the assembly line machinery looked to be - and in some cases was - from the Fullerton/Leo Fender & CBS-era. Since around 2006-07, Fender Ensenada saw a major upgrade/revamp. Among other changes, the entire guitar assembly line was retooled with the US Custom Shop crew overseeing it. Improved construction & finishing techniques were enacted, with the goal of MIM products being even closer in quality to their pricier US counterparts. One motive behind the reinvesting in the Mexico facility was the fact that Fender had already seen the writing on the wall...the days of farming out mid to upper level guitar production to Japan were numbered. Between both the world economy, not too mention Japan's own roller coaster ride w/ the Yen......making a guitar now in Japan can & sometimes does cost more than building in the US. Look @ what a "real" Japanese Ibanez runs these days....you can get 3-4 nice Indonesian ones for about the same price.

AFAIK, there are few to no MIJ Fender products currently in production, although there are surely some MIJ models still sitting in the warehouse. Some of the more common MIJ Fenders in recent years have been the "Classic" generic vintage style axes. Those are now MIM. I own a Classic Player's 50s Strat from there. Compared to the Classic 50s & 60s MIJ Strats I have owned over the years, the MIM is as good, if not better (granted being a "Player's" model, it came with Custom Shop 'pups & hardware). Easily one of the best Strats I have ever owned. But a guitar this nice could have been made on Mars for all I care.

Nowadays, quite a bit of the entire Fender line, as well as some of the formerly MIJ Charvel/Jacksons and pretty much everything Fender produces w/ Eddie Van Halen's name on it is being built in Ensenada (I had heard that Mexico would soon be the new home for Wolfgang Specials since they are no longer MIJ - and the Chinese ones have had inconsistent QC). The non-Japan Asian production - China, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc - is primarily the farmed out work for their lower priced/entry level stuff.

Still, there is a lot of oversight from the US Fender folks down in Ensenada. Compared to other companies - as well as Fender itself - that farm out to overseas builders, the level of QC happening south of the border @ Fender Mexico has always been solid and has only gotten better in recent years.

Last edited:

zenfly

Reaction score
Any attempt ( if at all possible) to support American jobs is always welcome.......Nice guitar.

How many Mexicans do you think work in the US plant ? How many parts do you think are made in Mexico and assembled in the US ?

here is the actual racial breakdown of the town of Corona, California where the so-called "American" Strats are made:
White Non-Hispanic (47.0%) You can be sure 99% of these people don't do factory work
Hispanic (35.7%)
Other race (17.5%)
Black (6.4%)
Two or more races (5.3%)
Filipino (2.7%)
American Indian (1.6%)
Vietnamese (1.2%)
Asian Indian (1.2%)
Other Asian (0.8%)
Korean (0.7%)
Chinese (0.7%)

The difference in US and Mexico -made Fenders is 70 miles and many employees go to and from both plants but that is hearsay..
don't know how accurate that info is..

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Another thing I like about my MIM Strat is I dont have alot of money invested in it so I'm not afraid to leave it places like in my car and such. Its a great guitar.

All4Tone

Reaction score
Hell, I've bought a mim strat just because I liked the color.. If I had to pay th cost of a US strat, I'd never do that. I do have a few US strats, but I guess it's because of that whole stigma thing, I take the US ones a little more seriously, not that they are so much better or anything, but just because they are US strats.

chuckelator

Reaction score
I love my MIA Standard Tele. It feels right to me. If you're not happy with MIA fenders, get a G&L...almost the same guitars, similar price point, and the bang for buck is INSANE. My buddy has a G&L Commanche that plays like a dream.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
90 degrees today, left my MIM Strat in the back of my van, jammed out at lunch time and tossed it back in when I was done. No fuss no mess. Happy :)