• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Finally got my first tube amp!

• Thread starter 40xxx04
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

40xxx04

Reaction score
Been playing guitar for a year now and I have been saving up to buy a decent tube amp and a cab. I finally got my hands on a used JCM 2000 DSL 100 and an Avatar cab loaded with 2 celestion V30 speakers. Due to my inexperience with tube I really don't know how to begin using one and I am also not sure if the JCM 2000 has a master volume or not? all the knobs are a little overwhelming. Could someone let me know how do I go about using the tube amp I got?

Far Rider

Hendrixian
VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the DSL club. First though, a word from our sponsor:

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7WnYKo7oCo"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7WnYKo7oCo[/ame]

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Been playing guitar for a year now and I have been saving up to buy a decent tube amp and a cab. I finally got my hands on a used JCM 2000 DSL 100 and an Avatar cab loaded with 2 celestion V30 speakers. Due to my inexperience with tube I really don't know how to begin using one and I am also not sure if the JCM 2000 has a master volume or not? all the knobs are a little overwhelming. Could someone let me know how do I go about using the tube amp I got?

Just use your independent channel "Volume" controls for overall volume for each channel. Set those to 1 and everything else to 5 for starters and go from there. When you power the amp up, leave it in Standby for a minute or so for the tubes to warm up. Make sure you always have your cab connected before taking the amp out of Standby. Place the amp in Standby before switching the main power off. Beyond that, just refer to your users manual (download one if you don't have it). Have fun :)

40xxx04

Reaction score
Just use your independent channel "Volume" controls for overall volume for each channel. Set those to 1 and everything else to 5 for starters and go from there. When you power the amp up, leave it in Standby for a minute or so for the tubes to warm up. Make sure you always have your cab connected before taking the amp out of Standby. Place the amp in Standby before switching the main power off. Beyond that, just refer to your users manual (download one if you don't have it). Have fun :)
Thanks, it's all clear now. Also, I just downloaded the manual.

tman

Reaction score
Congrats buddy!! I just got my first all tube amp a month ago DSL40C. And I've been playing for 10 years so it's never too early or too late to jam with the big boy amps!!

Reactions: IRG

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats 40x.

My advices are:
- Experiment and let your ears guide you.
- If in doubt, come here and ask a question.

And, although some people might not agree, I'm always willing to spend a lot of time getting to know any quality amp.

I don't like to see people saying things like: 'I have tried this amp for two weeks and it still doesn't produce the sounds I want...'

Two weeks! ?

Well, if the person talking has been gigging for years and has used many amps, then fair enough.
But otherwise.... maybe further study is needed.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
My first tube amp was a 1983 JCM800 2203. White Canadian version. Shoulda kept it!

JCM800.jpg

Masliko

Reaction score
Just keep turning the knobs,if it squirts, its the wrong one.:naughty:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Yes it is a Master Volume. Read the manual thoroughly. Get used to what the amplifier does with different settings.

Then start plugging effects before and into the effects loop. Get used to it all over again.

Then get an second amplifier rig and go stereo. Get used to it all over once again.

:D