First self design/built, and first post :)

• Thread starter NickKUK
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickKUK

Reaction score
First post - this is my first ever scratch build before moving onto a companion JCM800 EF80 Robinette build (I'll put in the workshop forum):

IMG_2273.jpg

Inspired around the desert/dunes/sandstorms were my concept guide whilst wandering around the timber merchants. I see the flame maple join almost like a dessert mirage. Naturally the sapwood/heartwood fretboard looks like sand dunes. It's also designed for sitting with a straight back and hand not above my shoulder, hence the ergonomic look.

7 String 28.625" 24 frets (jumbo), Sentient and Pegasus pickups. 18:1 tuners.

It's a neck through laminate (maple-wedge-walnut-purple heart-walnut-wenge-maple) with the fixed bridge sitting on a pedestal that pokes through the capping 20mm carved flame maple top. The upper and lower wings of the body are alder and finally a Bubinga (African rosewood) fretboard. It's also a bit of a unit.. weighing in at 4.5kg.

It's since been set up better since that photo but it needs some fret work still (but it's playable).

Anyways - first post from here in the UK :)

Last edited:

NickKUK

Reaction score
Thank you :)

The beauty about the Danish oil finish is I can change it over time too. I've already been given 'permission' to make another by the Mrs. I have a load of left over wood so I'm thinking of a partscaster :)

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Looks like you made it well, but the cosmetics are definitely a matter of personal taste. Not MY taste, however.

When it comes to proportions I'm madly in love with the Golden Ratio and all that comes from it.

NickKUK

Reaction score
Great job! What are the electronics? Hardware?

Hardware:
* Gotoh 510FX bridge
* Schaller M6 135 tuners (3x left, 3x right - +1 but I can never remember if that was a left or a right)
* GraphTec TUSQ XL Slotted Strat
* it has alloy ferrules large enough for the large strings. I think these were Harley Benton
* Seymour Duncan Pegasus (bridge) and Sentient (Neck) setup at the moment by a pull-push switch pot. Currently setup with a single 500K volume pot (the second pot isn't used at the moment). I'm currently looking for a long shanked 5 way switch due to the carved top. Switched is a 500K TAD and the back is a 500K CTS.. though for the amp I have 24mm alpha pots on the way)
* A simple strat style plug on the back (this faces upwards rather than the traditional downwards).
* Schaller S-Locks and an Ernie Ball guitar strap. The hard points on the guitar are actually recessed.
* Nascar 57110 stainless steel frets
* 530mm dual action truss rod

Currently setup with Ernie Ball Paradigm 62-10 strings in standard BEADGBE. I've calculated that's about 90Kg of tension on the neck at the moment.

The pickups are currently pushing a hot 2.5Vpk and 1.5Vpk (IIRC this was Vpk and not Vip) so I may drop the neck pick up a little. In the end I'd like to simply make the pickups have a split and possibly have an active option (simply put a opamp buffer as an option in the guitar) but until the amp is built that's further down the road.

Looks like you made it well, but the cosmetics are definitely a matter of personal taste. Not MY taste, however.

When it comes to proportions I'm madly in love with the Golden Ratio and all that comes from it.

I know and I don't expect it to be something for everyone's tastes. I did look at the golden ratio, and even tried it on the board but when you get large scale lengths things start getting out of hand for a first build. It is more mini-bass in look, and there is some additional mass that could be taken out but it sits really well and doesn't move even when both hands are off the guitar (there's certainly no neck dive).

IMG_1718.jpegIMG_1737.jpgIMG_1773.jpeg
IMG_1921.jpgIMG_1945.jpeg

In terms of tools it was 95% manual tools:
* I broke a hand me down bandsaw so that never got used.
* the circular saw couldn't cope with the long cut.. so I ended up Japanese sawing from that point
* I used a simple hand held jig saw for the body shaping, although it's useless for long or deep cuts.
* hand drill where needed (including the head tuner holes which amazed me they're square!)
* I used a router for the truss rod slot and I used it for the slotting in the neck but gave up and used a shinto rasp.
* the last power tool was a shop vac :D (9 bags of dust and shavings)
* Manual tools - no 7 plane, No 4 plane, Block plane, various very sharp chisels, shinto rasp, sandpaper. Japanese saw, frame saw and a shedload of clamps! I have become a master of rebuilding plane irons and sharpening them.

It's very much 'evolved' into that shape but its contours suit me - being 6'4 with long arms, the guitar fits me :) I also built a case too out of ply.

I think for guitar number 2 it will simply be a manual build, with the only power tool being a sander and vacuum. The idea with that is do a proper telecaster - use what you have. I may look at making that a proper blues guitar.

Last edited:

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I love the concept behind the design and your plans for build 2.

When it's all done, don't forget to show us!