What is going on with Marshall and their lack of shipments of speakers, and amps to the United States?

• Thread starter guitarsmasher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fosheti

Reaction score
I doubt it...

View attachment 157435

I'd bet that distribution is the bigger obstacle. An £800 amp would cost $1,049.41 (US), if it was simply an exchange rate issue.

While some might complain, they'd either buy it, or not. If they want the amp, they'll plop down the cash. Before though, we were being charged $1800 for a $1,049.41 amp... I can see it being $1200, if you count in the import cost.
Yep unfortunately I was one of the 1800.00 chumps. I always pick the top of markets.😆

myklomaniac

Reaction score
I was fortunate (in some regard) as the retailer I dealt with had a price protection policy in place when I bought my equipment back in January. They refunded the price difference between January's legacy prices, and April's 30% lower prices.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yep unfortunately I was one of the 1800.00 chumps. I always pick the top of markets.😆
you weren't alone...

I bought my heads all used, & paid from about $1,000-1,200. They were in pretty new condition, no dings, no problems, etc.

Still though, that was high, for used, but, better than the $1800 price tags.

Once they lowered the price, I even felt ripped off, buying all used... because new ,is now what used was back then

jeffb

Reaction score
At this point I harbor no good will for the (current) company. There's been a bunch of "telling us what we want to hear" spew through the propaganda machine (i.e. online guitar rags) and not one bit of action.

I've been watching the ship dates on Zzounds for several months (cos I'm at the point where I could work out a new studio something, if I wanted) and it's comical. No way am I pre-ordering anything from Marshall.I feel bad for those who have, and been strung along.

jeffb

Reaction score
to be fair, the CEO said it would be a year, or so, before they got their running shoes... many did not want to hear, or ignored that & are expecting them to have been productive for the last year...
I read and understood that. But that is not the majority of people doing pre orders. Not everyone is reading GW articles or a slave to a forum like this one.

Marshall is asking us to give them the benefit of the doubt and have faith- and then giving completely unrealistic shipping dates to dealers and customers. Can't have it both ways.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I read and understood that. But that is not the majority of people doing pre orders. Not everyone is reading GW articles or a slave to a forum like this one.

Marshall is asking us to give them the benefit of the doubt and have faith- and then giving completely unrealistic shipping dates to dealers and customers. Can't have it both ways.
shipping dates are given by stores... stores that have zero product on hand

are stores giving definitive dates, or estimated dates?

I understand the problem w/ people who have backorders on hold, that sucks. The company has no distribution in the US as of current & that must be understood.

If you don't want to wait, cancel orders & buy something else - that's fine & fair, but, I wouldn't hold it, as a grudge against the company, that hasn't got it's stuff together yet, after a major sale & distribution change.

Sure, not everybody reads forums such as this, but... all the complaints (that we see) come from people that read forums such as this...

PelliX

Reaction score
Unpacked it, and it seems in good shape. No noticeable damage anywhere. Only a minor annoyance, the "1936 Vintage" faceplate either wasn't installed correctly, or came loose in transit. Luckily, I found it stuck to the inside of the cardboard box, was able to dislodge it, and put it on the cabinet in it's face plate holder. Installed the casters I bought some 9 months ago, plugged into head, and we're up and running. If only I could play, as good as it deserves.....

Nice, mate! Curious, did you happen to find a date of manufacture on the packaging or cab itself? Perhaps the speakers could be dated?

I'm curious because I'm wondering whether they (you) got 'new' stock from Marshall or some distributor cleared out a forgotten corner of some warehouse.

JohnnyBandera

Reaction score
you weren't alone...

I bought my heads all used, & paid from about $1,000-1,200. They were in pretty new condition, no dings, no problems, etc.

Still though, that was high, for used, but, better than the $1800 price tags.

Once they lowered the price, I even felt ripped off, buying all used... because new ,is now what used was back then
I think that if you thought it was worth x number of dollars at the time you bought it then you can’t get too mad if the price drops. It sucks, but if you like it and it does what you wanted, then you don’t really lose. Even used, good vintage Marshall heads have always been more expensive than they should be, usually 1-2k or more, less if it’s jcm 900 or dsl, but still in the states it’s not hard to find silverface twin and super reverbs for less than 700 bucks. We should see a decrease in used prices for the studio line and the classic heads at GC and other places but the delay in shipping now has kept the used prices high.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I think that if you thought it was worth x number of dollars at the time you bought it then you can’t get too mad if the price drops. It sucks, but if you like it and it does what you wanted, then you don’t really lose. Even used, good vintage Marshall heads have always been more expensive than they should be, usually 1-2k or more, less if it’s jcm 900 or dsl, but still in the states it’s not hard to find silverface twin and super reverbs for less than 700 bucks. We should see a decrease in used prices for the studio line and the classic heads at GC and other places but the delay in shipping now has kept the used prices high.
yeah, but, when you buy used for $1200, then less than a month later, you could get it brand new, w/ warranty, etc. for $1200, kind of sucks... I bought my cab's for ½ off, then a month later, Marshall changed prices to less than that... so, my good deal, wasn't so good :facepalm:...

oh well... but, it sucks for those who did pay the high price, like Fosheti. Now, if he was to sell one used, he'd be taking a hit...