First Thoughts On the 6100

• Thread starter rjohns1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rjohns1

Reaction score
Thanks dude, the same goes for you. Like I said, the situation is very strange. I got the call to fill in the night of the first gig I played with these guys, I never met any of them before. The drummer is friends with a friend of mine, and he asked if he knew of any guitar players that could fill in with little notice, he gave my number to him, and the next thing i was leaving work early to go brush up some old tunes. I arrived at the gig 10 minutes to showtime, got in some traffic and was late, got in, plugged in my gear, shook hands and said hello, then played a show. It went pretty well too. Nothing really special, just the same old cover tunes everyone of us has played all our lives, but it's fun. I can tell you this, i borrowed a tech 21 trademark 60 when I first played with this band, and then used the musicman combo I used to have before finally using the Marshall. My DSL was in the shop back then. The chick singer came up to me and told me the tone was unreal when I brought the Marshall's out. That says alot right there.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Thanks dude, the same goes for you. Like I said, the situation is very strange. I got the call to fill in the night of the first gig I played with these guys, I never met any of them before. The drummer is friends with a friend of mine, and he asked if he knew of any guitar players that could fill in with little notice, he gave my number to him, and the next thing i was leaving work early to go brush up some old tunes. I arrived at the gig 10 minutes to showtime, got in some traffic and was late, got in, plugged in my gear, shook hands and said hello, then played a show. It went pretty well too. Nothing really special, just the same old cover tunes everyone of us has played all our lives, but it's fun. I can tell you this, i borrowed a tech 21 trademark 60 when I first played with this band, and then used the musicman combo I used to have before finally using the Marshall. My DSL was in the shop back then. The chick singer came up to me and told me the tone was unreal when I brought the Marshall's out. That says alot right there.

Right on! Lets rock the free world.:dude:

wiorys

Reaction score
Hi guys
Could you try settings like that (3rd channel , RED) and share your experiences?
1st set:
Bass 3,5/10, Middle 6, Treble 3,5, Gain 3,2 Gain Boost pushed in, Contour pushed in,
Low compensation OFF, Pentode, Full(100W), Channel vol : 5
2nd set:
Without contour, Treble: 6, channel vol : 4,5 (just to get same vol as with the contour pushed in), other knobs just like in 1st set

Master vol: bedroom lvl - 1.3 ... ;)

IMHO 2nd set sounds maybe little scooped, there is no crushing low-mids like in 1st setting, but... in my case its more responsive(dynamic), and fast playing sounds much better (because without contour button pushed in, my sound is a bit too flubby, lows are too big, mids are superb but there is no 'clarity'). It sounds a bit too heavy. Lower bass settings makes sound too thin and there is no way to get dynamics (just a slight difference) of 1st setup

I know this amp sounds better when it's cranked but I play it mostly in my flat, I've bought it 3 years ago and I have never used contour because it sounded too thin with normal treble setting(5 and more), but today I've discovered it sound really good with low treble amount!
I don't use high gain settings because it makes third channel too compressed, it gets muddy, I like tight, dynamic distortion.
I've got El34 version, Svetlanas Winged C. 1960AV cab.

Of course it depends on guitar, I use Peavey Wolfgang, thick and gainy sound with warm lows. I need to push Marshall with an Ibanez TS9 when I use my Ibanez S.

I don't know if my contour button is reacting like it should or something is broken and my amp sounds worse when contour isn't pushed in.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Hi guys
Could you try settings like that (3rd channel , RED) and share your experiences?
1st set:
Bass 3,5/10, Middle 6, Treble 3,5, Gain 3,2 Gain Boost pushed in, Contour pushed in,
Low compensation OFF, Pentode, Full(100W), Channel vol : 5
2nd set:
Without contour, Treble: 6, channel vol : 4,5 (just to get same vol as with the contour pushed in), other knobs just like in 1st set

Master vol: bedroom lvl - 1.3 ... ;)

IMHO 2nd set sounds maybe little scooped, there is no crushing low-mids like in 1st setting, but... in my case its more responsive(dynamic), and fast playing sounds much better (because without contour button pushed in, my sound is a bit too flubby, lows are too big, mids are superb but there is no 'clarity'). It sounds a bit too heavy. Lower bass settings makes sound too thin and there is no way to get dynamics (just a slight difference) of 1st setup

I know this amp sounds better when it's cranked but I play it mostly in my flat, I've bought it 3 years ago and I have never used contour because it sounded too thin with normal treble setting(5 and more), but today I've discovered it sound really good with low treble amount!
I don't use high gain settings because it makes third channel too compressed, it gets muddy, I like tight, dynamic distortion.
I've got El34 version, Svetlanas Winged C. 1960AV cab.

Of course it depends on guitar, I use Peavey Wolfgang, thick and gainy sound with warm lows. I need to push Marshall with an Ibanez TS9 when I use my Ibanez S.

I don't know if my contour button is reacting like it should or something is broken and my amp sounds worse when contour isn't pushed in.

If I remember later I will try this and report back.

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
Here's a picture of my 6100LE and 6100LM, the Le has el-34's and the lm has 6l6's, both sound GREAT esp the LE in crunch mode "B" with the gain on 8 or so!!!!

Attachments

• m.JPG
    m.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 4

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Contour button changes the mid pot to a mids cutter or booster. Something tells me the dude who's contour button sounded 'bad' didn't understand the button/pot relationship.

Still loving mine after all these years!

Latest posts