Marshall Hand Wired

• Thread starter Fosheti
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fosheti

Reaction score
Got some extra cash and I am really waiting a Marshall Hand Wired just for a collection piece and to play at home at lower volume. This would be a lower watage application, say around 15 to 20 watts. Any suggestions? Should have a nice clean with a little Marshall grit.

Fosheti

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, those are worthy suggestions. I will be checking them out. I have a nostalgic love for combos but I mostly use heads because running through a cab yields a beefier tone than I have been able to get out of a combo with the exception of a haze 40 which brings the beef in loads but is heavy to lug around. How would the 1974x compare to say a sv 20 head in a 1x12 cab?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, those are worthy suggestions. I will be checking them out. I have a nostalgic love for combos but I mostly use heads because running through a cab yields a beefier tone than I have been able to get out of a combo with the exception of a haze 40 which brings the beef in loads but is heavy to lug around. How would the 1974x compare to say a sv 20 head in a 1x12 cab?
Try both, if you can. I used to have a 2061X HW head. Similar amp to the 1974X, but slightly different circuit and 20w, not 18w. Trouble was, I never really settled with the EL84 sound and when the SV20 came out, it was perfect for my lower wattage Plexi tone, so the 2061X got moved on.

V-man

Reaction score
Got some extra cash and I am really waiting a Marshall Hand Wired just for a collection piece and to play at home at lower volume. This would be a lower watage application, say around 15 to 20 watts. Any suggestions? Should have a nice clean with a little Marshall grit.

I am shocked none of the others have commented on this already. Collection is fine, but playing at lower volume is a no-go. Hand-wired Marshalls are all non-master volume and all of them are not “play at lower volume” amps.

I am sure the 1974 or the 2061 don’t produce something close to the output of a 1959 but it is well-established for example, that the PCB-built 20W Studio Vintage is NOT lower-volume material… even in 5w mode.

There is nothing wrong with grabbing one of these with a high-quality “transparent” attenuation unit… but now you may as well consider whatever amp… up to and including 100W 1959HW, since all need/will be using a volume mitigation device fo achieve “play at low volume” status.

PelliX

Reaction score
Fair call, but an attenuator capable of handling a 1974X is generally cheaper/easier to find than one which will handle the full wrath of a 1959.

As the SV is/was on the table, how about a JTM45? Now that's a classic Marshall with some unique flavor. Replace V1 with a low-gain valve and you have a Bassman, give or take. Certainly warrants an attenuator in a domestic situation, though.

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
I would go the 1987X route and put a volume pedal in the loop.
you will be able to play at bedroom volume with this configuration.
If you really stuck on the handwired just build your own 2204 PTP clone.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The 20 watt 2061 (original or x) really captures the sound and feel of a 100 watt '69 plexi like mine, but at a SLIGHTLY lower volume level. Not a whole lot lower in volume at full output. In fact, the difference is just 7 dB. So peak volume rather than being about 120 dB is "only" 113 which is plenty to get you kicked out of your apartment!

Creach

Reaction score
I was in your case, wanted hand wired and able to play home.

I went for the Astoria Dual, clean channel, crunch channel, effects loop, ppimv, power reduction,etc....

It is available in combo or head and cab.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score

If you are considering a non-HW amp in head form and 20w, the Studio JTM would be worth looking at too. IMO, all the Studio Amps could be considered. Even my SC20H has pretty good clean tones on low input.

Plus for what you may spend on the price of a classic HW in great condition, you could get 2 new Studio amps and a good attenuator.

Fosheti

Reaction score
Wow that’s some great commentary. Thanks each and everyone for the comments and suggestions. I actually already have the sv 20 and the st 20 in both head and cab. I know Im a gear junkie and my business has been doing really good the last 5 years so I bought a few amps. Im a Marshall nut but I do have some Fender Amps including the Deluxe Reverb 64 HW and there is a distinct difference in sound quality from my pcb fender units and a difference in build quality as well so im just really gassing for a HW Marshall and have been for a while even though there probably isn’t a lot of difference in sound and build quality with Marshalls. The Marshall pcb stuff just seems higher quality and better made to me than Fenders Pcb so probably not as much to gain with HW. That 2061 sounds like it may be the route to go. I love the look of the 1974x though. That is one beautiful amp. Just can’t get that one out of my mind. I will let yall know what craziness I can come up with. Thanks

JohnnyBandera

Reaction score
The 2061x is one I’d like to try but it seems the consensus is the studio amps sound as good or better. The 1974 sounds similar in videos I’ve heard.

Latest posts