Suggestions for Marshall CEO Jeremy Maillard From Us

• Thread starter ByrdmanFL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giblesp

Reaction score
yeah, the designers of the dreaded JCM2000 series TSL100, etc., that were an abortion to the Marshall brand...

I'm not sure how they constitute as "original" Marshall people. You mean Ken, Ken & Dudley? They were the original Marshall people, nothing to do w/ Blackstar.
Say for example Boeing were bought by a Chinese company, they are still called Boeing but the Chinese are in charge, profits go to China.

I'm sure Americans would be upset by this?

So for some British, a British company with reputation being sold off, would produce a similar response.

Not sure how I can make you understand. Put it this way, 'Made in America,' on my Les Paul's means something to me, and I'm not American. The US is the origin of much of the music I listen to, so it means something to me.

Crikey

Reaction score
If marshall fuks up Friedman sells more amps

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Say for example Boeing were bought by a Chinese company, they are still called Boeing but the Chinese are in charge, profits go to China.

I'm sure Americans would be upset by this?

So for some British, a British company with reputation being sold off, would produce a similar response.

Not sure how I can make you understand. Put it this way, 'Made in America,' on my Les Paul's means something to me, and I'm not American. The US is the origin of much of the music I listen to, so it means something to me.
I'm American, but, most of the music I grew up w/ & love came from/comes from British sources, or European... Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, UFO, Rainbow, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Scorpions (German), etc...

Other than VH & the Doors, & have almost no US roots in music, although, the British/EU guys listed above had some US roots in the blues...

So, if music was derived in the Mississippi delta, & the British stole it, I should be upset? TBH, there were plenty of US people stealing the blues from those Delta cats, but, they were pussifying it... at least, IMO, the Brit's did it right!

I say give the new CEO a chance, before vowing to piss on his grave, when he dies some time in the future...

Thus far, he's keeping the company in the UK, investing into the mfgr'ing plant & the Brit's that work there now.

Did you get upset when Ampeg (Magnavox USA) sold out to MTI (Japan)? or then back to Yamaha, after their stint w/ SLM (USA), then LOUD (USA)? Well, under SLM, while they were a US company, they were outsourcing all their mfgr to SE Asia... just like Marshall has been doing w/ ½ their line & also Celestion speakers w/ theirs...

The company has sold. There's nothing anyone can do, but, I do hope for the best for them, not wishing for them to fail, nor saying that they've already fallen. Time will tell...

Ever since Jim died, the remaining family have pretty much run the company into the ground. Jim, while he might not have had everything perfect, he at least kept the company going & wasn't a squanderer. He knew that a certain amount needed to go back into the kitty. The ones who took over seemed to see the company as their slush fund to live it up...

That's what happens when the company is taken over by people who don't give a damn about the company, but see it as their entitlement to be rock stars themselves...

I think it sucks that Jim died. I think it sucks that Zound had to take a dying company over. but... I hope that Zound can revive the company & keep it to it's British roots.

On the other end, the company could have just ceased to exist mid-year last year, then what... :shrug:

Last edited:

giblesp

Reaction score
So
I'm American, but, most of the music I grew up w/ & love came from/comes from British sources, or European... Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, UFO, Rainbow, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Scorpions (German), etc...

Other than VH & the Doors, & have almost no US roots in music, although, the British/EU guys listed above had some US roots in the blues...

So, if music was derived in the Mississippi delta, & the British stole it, I should be upset? TBH, there were plenty of US people stealing the blues from those Delta cats, but, they were pussifying it... at least, IMO, the Brit's did it right!

I say give the new CEO a chance, before vowing to piss on his grave, when he dies some time in the future...

Thus far, he's keeping the company in the UK, investing into the mfgr'ing plant & the Brit's that work there now.

Did you get upset when Ampeg (Magnavox USA) sold out to MTI (Lapan)? or then back to Yamaha, after their stint w/ SLM (USA), then LOUD (USA)? Well, under SLM, while they were a US company, they were outsourcing all their mfgr to SE Asia... just like Marshall has been doing w/ ½ their line & also Celestion speakers w/ theirs...

The company has sold. There's nothing anyone can do, but, I do hope for the best for them, not wishing for them to fail, nor saying that they've already fallen. Time will tell...

Ever since Jim died, the remaining family have pretty much run the company into the ground. Jim, while he might not have had everything perfect, he at least kept the company going & wasn't a squanderer. He knew that a certain amount needed to go back into the kitty. The ones who took over seemed to see the company as their slush fund to live it up...

That's what happens when the company is taken over by people who don't give a damn about the company, but see it as their entitlement to be rock stars themselves...

I think it sucks that Jim died. I think it sucks that Zound had to take a dying company over. but... I hope that Zound can revive the company & keep it to it's British roots.

On the other end, the company could have just ceased to exist mid-year last year, then what... :shrug:
Ok, so I'm guessing you were fine with the American car industry going under?

Not everyone feels that strongly about their country's achievements, getting replaced or bought out by overseas corporation's.

That's fine, I get it.

Very few bands in Europe compete with British bands, to be fair.

As for the British stealing the music of the Mississippi, well The Stones were very forthcoming as to where their music was coming from.

Different discussion, but there's also a strong British folk music influence in bands such as Zeppelin and Maiden.

Of course, the biggest contributors were the African Americans, without a shadow of doubt.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
So

Ok, so I'm guessing you were fine with the American car industry going under?

Not everyone feels that strongly about their country's achievements, getting replaced or bought out by overseas corporation's.

That's fine, I get it.

Very few bands in Europe compete with British bands, to be fair.

As for the British stealing the music of the Mississippi, well The Stones were very forthcoming as to where their music was coming from.

Different discussion, but there's also a strong British folk music influence in bands such as Zeppelin and Maiden.

Of course, the biggest contributors were the African Americans, without a shadow of doubt.
&... it took Jimi going to the UK, to be able to come back as an export/import to be accepted... (as a US musician)

I am not happy about what happened w/ the auto industry, in the US, but, then that is a symptom of a greater issue. My grandfather & 3 uncles worked at the big steel plant in town. The state government killed that off w/ regulations. The only thing left of the steel plant is their "healthcare" insurance company & hospital/clinic system...

The other problem w/ the auto industry, besides having no US steel to fabricate their vehicles from, they also sold off the tech dept, by over-regulating things, so that everything was ½ price overseas.

When steel & electronics are ½ price, that means there's no US competition anymore...

We, as a country/state, shot our industry in the foot - well, actually, it was more like a bullet to the head - a self inflicted gunshot wound...

It really doesn't have anything to do w/ companies running themselves into oblivion, although, I'm sure that happened, in some instances, but, out gov put the gun to their heads...

Gain Man

Reaction score
Yes, I know. Many Americans didn't care when the American car business, was replaced by Asian imports.

Some people don't bother with these things. As a German, you probably wouldn't mind if Mercedes were Russian owned, but many of your countrymen may disagree. I'd certainly want a German Porsche made in Germany, by a German owned Porsche.

I'm very proud of the British contribution to music. For you, it's probably just music and you don't notice where it's from. That's fine also.
I am actually half British, so not as emotionally disconnected in this matter as you might believe. Of course we would all love Marshall to continue being the family business it once was. But it is not. That is a fact and none of our rambling is going to change that. We can either declare this to be the end of the world, or wait and see what the future brings.

The Swedes now run the show, but that does not have to mean Marshall will be less British. The Marshall factory is still in Bletchley, British people still work there, make decisions and design and build amps. Why would the Swedes change that?
In fact, one doesn't have to be a genius to understand that "unbritishing" a British icon like Marshall would basically destroy it.

Marshall went downhill after Jim's death. So better to have new owners come in (whatever it says on their passports), with a vision to go forward, than having the children run the family business into the ground.

giblesp

Reaction score
&... it took Jimi going to the UK, to be able to come back as an export/import to be accepted... (as a US musician)

I am not happy about what happened w/ the auto industry, in the US, but, then that is a symptom of a greater issue. My grandfather & 3 uncles worked at the big steel plant in town. The state government killed that off w/ regulations. The only thing left of the steel plant is their "healthcare" insurance company & hospital/clinic system...

The other problem w/ the auto industry, besides having no US steel to fabricate their vehicles from, they also sold off the tech dept, by over-regulating things, so that everything was ½ price overseas.

When steel & electronics are ½ price, that means there's no US competition anymore...

We, as a country/state, shot our industry in the foot - well, actually, it was more like a bullet to the head - a self inflicted gunshot wound...

It really doesn't have anything to do w/ companies running themselves into oblivion, although, I'm sure that happened, in some instances, but, out gov put the gun to their heads...
Saw a big old 60's American car the other day, what a beauty. Still going. British motorcycles used to be something; I was introduced to them in India. You don't see them in Britain so much.

Wont go into too much British history, but post war British industry completely shot itself. Government mismanagement, though it was understandably hard to pull Britain back together after the war. Very tough environment, possibly one of the reasons for the emergence of metal and punk.

Difference between the US and Britain, is that the US can lose its car industry and still be one of the worlds leading superpowers. Losing British companies post Brexit, is not what Britain needs right now.

So you get what I'm saying; aside from the points I mentioned we needed that profit going to the British economy and not the EU.

Yes, that's definitely true about Hendrix. Britain was way more accepting of black people at that point in history, and before. One of the reasons perhaps why Britain, a country with less that 25% of the population of the US, is at least on par with the US in music.

giblesp

Reaction score
So better to have new owners come in (whatever it says on their passports), with a vision to go forward, than having the children run the family business into the ground.
Respectfully disagree. Orange had hard times, used to be owned by Gibson at one point. Now back in England and going strong.

Look at the hardships Germany went through after the war. One of the worlds leading car manufacturers a few decades later. Leading European economy today. I love my German RME interface, Kemper and Adams speakers; nothing like German engineering.

If RME sold out and I saw their interfaces advertised alongside crappy earphones, I'd probably not get another RME product.

British companies selling out, and there have been quite a few now, have given zero long term benefit to Britain.

Gain Man

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. Orange had hard times, used to be owned by Gibson at one point. Now back in England and going strong.
I didn't know that.
I remember reading once, that Orange was close to irrelevant or even gone for some time and had a triumphant return. One key to that success was that they did not reissue any old amps, they moved forward by designing new ones, but with THE Orange sound. This quickly avoided any suspision of Orange amps being a nostalgia thing. Overall a success story. I admire Orange for that, although the Orange sound is not for me.

Overall I am with you on economics and companies selling out. It's hardly beneficial for a country if too many of its businesses fall into foreign hands. Marshall's foreign ownership of course is one contribution to this kind of macro economic issue. I do see your point.

Whether of not it is a good thing, that an iconic British company like Marshall is owned by a non-British company, is one question. Discussing what Marshall should or should not do, in order to become a relevant player in the field of guitar-related equipment again, while taking their ownership as a given fact, is another.

I am focussing on the second question.

giblesp

Reaction score
Discussing what Marshall should or should not do, in order to become a relevant player in the field of guitar-related equipment again, while taking their ownership as a given fact, is another.

I am focussing on the second question.
I'd say that it wasn't necessary to go abroad to do so. There is no lacking of business talent in the UK. The resurrection of Orange, was a clear example of that.

And I think we're in agreement that a Chinese owned Porsche, wouldn't be as valued as a German owned Porsche.

Anyway, there's used Marshall's to keep the stubborn British rockers happy, and Orange are still at home. My first bass amp may well be Orange.

Up The Steen

Reaction score
Bring back the 2104 combo.
With checkerboard grille cloth obviously.

scarified

Reaction score
Yes, I know. Many Americans didn't care when the American car business, was replaced by Asian imports.

Some people don't bother with these things. As a German, you probably wouldn't mind if Mercedes were Russian owned, but many of your countrymen may disagree. I'd certainly want a German Porsche made in Germany, by a German owned Porsche.

I'm very proud of the British contribution to music. For you, it's probably just music and you don't notice where it's from. That's fine also.

I grew up British and will always be proud of British made stuff. My made in Coventry by an Indian company Jaguar is parked next to my made in Gottehburg by a Chinese owned company Volvo right now. It's where it's made that counts, not where the head office is.

Or take the request for a 2205/2210 reissue. I have a 2205 myself and sure it would be great if Marshall came up with something new that sounded like that, but:

- I would rather have one with similar tonal character but sounds even better, without requiring insane volume levels.
- I don't want a post Master Volume effects loop (what on earth were they thinking?)
- A proper clean channel might be nice.
- Dual Master Volume!

I love this amp for what it is and happily live with its quirks and limitations, given that I know it was built in the 1980s and was Marshall's first go at at channel switching amp.

But a 1:1 reissue in the 2020s? Seriously???

The Studio series has been good about avoiding 1:1 reissues and making smart updates. They ‘fixed’ the effects loop on the 2203x and the SC20H, so they could fix it on an 2205/2210 too. Dumping the useless reverb would reduce the size, weight and number of preamp tubes too.

If you lot really want to support Swedish Marshall, you'll have to give your technical ideas to what remains of the British Marshall team, and they'll have to run it by their Swedish overlords like the good little boys they are.

Otherwise, all you'll get is a Marshall toaster or some sh#t.

If you lot want a real British amp company, check Blackstar who were formed by original Marshall people. Orange are also British owned with British expertise.

They can look at players ideas, without having to run it by a Bluetooth speaker company, from a country that hasn't produced any rock music worth mentioning.

Yngwie Malmsteen enters the chat... : how about a John Norum sig SC2202H ?

wakjob

Reaction score
With solid state technology so good now, think Friedman BE OD, Revv G3/G4, Soldano SLO pedal, ect... It would be nice to see a revamp of the MG line.

giblesp

Reaction score
I grew up British and will always be proud of British made stuff. My made in Coventry by an Indian company Jaguar is parked next to my made in Gottehburg by a Chinese owned company Volvo right now. It's where it's made that counts, not where the head office is.
That's how you feel, which you are entitled to.

I'd say that the money from Jaguar, Marshall is needed in Britain post Brexit, and with the cost of living crisis, instead of making Indian and EU executives rich.

For some of us, Jaguar being run by Indians in charge of British workers, doesn't quite feel right. I'd say it's a f' embarrassment.

There's also the prestige and pride of having a British innovation, run by British instead of yet another great idea making another country richer.

As I said, the US can afford to trash it's own car industry. Britain can't afford sh#t.

Last edited:

Bull Rock

Reaction score
All the best stuff has already been made. Buy used. Grab an 800 and a 72 Chevelle. If you can't make those work and be happy, well....that's a separate issue. Yw.

giblesp

Reaction score
All the best stuff has already been made. Buy used. Grab an 800 and a 72 Chevelle. If you can't make those work and be happy, well....that's a separate issue. Yw.
That's why I buy used Marshalls. And I've certainly made them work.

Would love a British car, but my country lacks basic marketing skills, and in the case of Jaguar needed a third world country to take over and sort out their QC issues.

Jaguar are now a minor subsidiary, to Indian overlords. F'ing pathetic.

A lesson Gibson should learn from.

Last edited:

Gain Man

Reaction score
Yep. I owned a 2210 for several years and the clean sound was pretty much unusable. I'm talking, "Clunk clunk CLUNK." The DSL series blows it away for clean tones.
I personally wouldn't go as far as calling it unusable. I take it for what it is: a crunch channel that sort of cleans up quite nicely if I'm not exactly windmilling my guitar Pete Townshend style. That's good enough for me. But some times a chimey clean would be great.