First Thoughts On the 6100

• Thread starter rjohns1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rjohns1

Reaction score
You know that feeling, you keep searching but havent found it yet? That was me before the 6100. In the 6 years I have been playing I have had more amp equipment than a person has a right to. Always felt like something was lacking. Now I have it and its in the form of a 6100. Funny thing is, a guy tried to talk me into trading my Mesa Trip Rect for his 6100 back in Oct. I said no. Then I do just that 2 months later.

You know, I think the same goes for me. years of trying the latest od pedal, eq's, and everything trying to get the tone I was looking for. Tonight my band got together for the first time in a year to start writing another album. We came up with two more tunes tonight, and for the first time in my life I just played, didn't have futz with settings. I got my tone. I was in heaven the whole time. this 6100 for me is the ultimate rock amp, period. Marshall needs to re-release this amp. i want a new one, because the only thing I am worried about with this amp is reliability, being out of production and not being able to get parts for the channel switching board. If this thing broke down I would be lost now. I love this thing.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
You know, I think the same goes for me. years of trying the latest od pedal, eq's, and everything trying to get the tone I was looking for. Tonight my band got together for the first time in a year to start writing another album. We came up with two more tunes tonight, and for the first time in my life I just played, didn't have futz with settings. I got my tone. I was in heaven the whole time. this 6100 for me is the ultimate rock amp, period. Marshall needs to re-release this amp. i want a new one, because the only thing I am worried about with this amp is reliability, being out of production and not being able to get parts for the channel switching board. If this thing broke down I would be lost now. I love this thing.

thats the best thing i have heard in a long time !! thats just awesome !!:rock:

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score

I am glad you feel that way. Nothing worse than having spent all this money on a rig only to find its lacking. Nirvana is finding your tone.

NateCordova

Reaction score
We are all becoming poor these days

I cant afford the 6100 ... :( i am so pissed...see my thread and see why.

BTW tell me, is it possible to change the lead channel tubes of a 6100LM from 6L6 to EL34? But only the lead channel?

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
I cant afford the 6100 ... :( i am so pissed...see my thread and see why.

BTW tell me, is it possible to change the lead channel tubes of a 6100LM from 6L6 to EL34? But only the lead channel?

I dont know if you can do that with the tubes. Why would you want to?

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Cuz i want old school british high gain sound and thats more with EL34.

Can I? i tried a 6100LM with el34... so what can u do to change the tubes?

If you tried a 6100LM that has el34's in it, then someone has done a conversion. i dont know if you can do a conversion on just one tube. I am sure Wilder would know.

rjohns1

Reaction score
You can't change to the el34 tubes for just a channel, it just doesn't work that way. The el34 tubes are in the power amp. They are not switched with channels. They are what make the amp loud. However, I have el34 tubes in mine and the clean is the best sounding clean I have ever tried, and the crunch and lead is everything you are looking for. If you want 6l6 tubes go play a fender. One nice thing about this head is that each channel somewhat uses their own set of pre amp tubes. You can roll pre amp tubes to get different sounds for each channel. I have an old Mullard in V1 for the clean channel, and ehx tubes in the lead channel, stock tube for the crunch channel. I have some tung sol tubes on their way for to replace v2-v7 though.

NateCordova

Reaction score
You can't change to the el34 tubes for just a channel, it just doesn't work that way. The el34 tubes are in the power amp. They are not switched with channels. They are what make the amp loud. However, I have el34 tubes in mine and the clean is the best sounding clean I have ever tried, and the crunch and lead is everything you are looking for. If you want 6l6 tubes go play a fender. One nice thing about this head is that each channel somewhat uses their own set of pre amp tubes. You can roll pre amp tubes to get different sounds for each channel. I have an old Mullard in V1 for the clean channel, and ehx tubes in the lead channel, stock tube for the crunch channel. I have some tung sol tubes on their way for to replace v2-v7 though.

i need a amp that has footswitchable channels and the lead must do metal, only JVM, DSL and 6100LM do that, and 6100 wins the JVM for sure, not sure about DSL but im pretty sure a DSL can't sound as oldschool as a 6100 and i really doubt the cleans are as awesome as the 6100.

i'm going to murder my parents into helping me buy the 6100, even if I won't get anything for my birthday and next christmas. All i care about is guitar anyway...

But thats a cool thing that u can have diffrent tubes.
how many valves does a 6100 have? to make a conversion and retube it,is it very expensive?

Edit: okay it has 7 pre amp valves and 4 power amp valves. The pre amps are 7 x ECC83 (12AX7A) and the power amps are 4 x 5881 (which i assume are 6L6)

I dont know much about valves though, so basicly what your saying is that if i want EL34, all i need to do is make a conversion on the power amp and switch 4 valves, thats it?

rjohns1

Reaction score
The 6100 has 7 preamp valves, and 4 power amp valves. It can get expensive to re-tube, but I think it is SO worth it. What kind of metal sound are you after?

NateCordova

Reaction score
The 6100 has 7 preamp valves, and 4 power amp valves. It can get expensive to re-tube, but I think it is SO worth it. What kind of metal sound are you after?

Megadeth oldschool style!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKwPSqKj-F8[/ame]

this with a little bit more gain, just a tad more, to do a metallica gain style but megadeth in tone ;o

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI8xrnOrftM[/ame]

see this? its kinda like this, but maybe a tad more mids

rjohns1

Reaction score
You can definitely get that sound with a 6100, or even a DSL.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
You can definitely get that sound with a 6100, or even a DSL.

I am not sure you can get there with the DSL. Peace Sells (1986) and Metallica Ride the Lighting (1984) were both released before the 6100 came out in 1992. The 6100 is a tribute to the Marshalls that came before it. Thats why it has that old school tone to it. The DSL came out long after those albums and has a more modern voicing. Its not likely you can get there with a DSL without pedals and or processors to get you there. If you really want to reach that tone, of the 2 amps your best bet is the 6100.

NateCordova

Reaction score
I am not sure you can get there with the DSL. Peace Sells (1986) and Metallica Ride the Lighting (1984) were both released before the 6100 came out in 1992. The 6100 is a tribute to the Marshalls that came before it. Thats why it has that old school tone to it. The DSL came out long after those albums and has a more modern voicing. Its not likely you can get there with a DSL without pedals and or processors to get you there. If you really want to reach that tone, of the 2 amps your best bet is the 6100.

Thats what i thought... and the JVM sounds a bit fake to me compared to the 6100.
So 6100 is the amp i want. There is one 6100LM with 6l6 here in portugal... but it has 6l6...thats why i wanted to know about converting it into el34 without going totally broke! max like 100 euros to convert and the new valves

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Thats what i thought... and the JVM sounds a bit fake to me compared to the 6100.
So 6100 is the amp i want. There is one 6100LM with 6l6 here in portugal... but it has 6l6...thats why i wanted to know about converting it into el34 without going totally broke! max like 100 euros to convert and the new valves

How much are they wanting for the amp where you live?

chuckmehh

Reaction score
I helped someone reach tonal bliss! Can I win a nobel peace prize for that? Seems like that's more than Obama did to get his....

Oh rjohns and anyone else interested, I posted a video in the cellar of my first attempt at a recording with the Line 6 software. Let me know what ya think.

Enjoy the 6100!

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
I helped someone reach tonal bliss! Can I win a nobel peace prize for that? Seems like that's more than Obama did to get his....

Oh rjohns and anyone else interested, I posted a video in the cellar of my first attempt at a recording with the Line 6 software. Let me know what ya think.

Enjoy the 6100!

Sorry. While you deserve a Nobel for helping a person find tonal bliss, that is more work than is needed to win the prize. Basically, you put in to much effort. And this isnt how it works. As proven by Obamas winning of the Nobel.

Latest posts