First Thoughts On the 6100

• Thread starter rjohns1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
Sorry. While you deserve a Nobel for helping a person find tonal bliss, that is more work than is needed to win the prize. Basically, you put in to much effort. And this isnt how it works. As proven by Obamas winning of the Nobel.

good point sir; how could I not realize that?

NateCordova

Reaction score
Next time, try a little less and you might get there. "Yes we can but I dont wanna." They left the last half out of the campaign.

LOLyou guys are hilarious xD

The 6100LM is 800 euros used where i live. Portugal, Lisbon

There is one at that price on a used stuff site. But its kinda far from my town. It has 6l6

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
LOLyou guys are hilarious xD

The 6100LM is 800 euros used where i live. Portugal, Lisbon

There is one at that price on a used stuff site. But its kinda far from my town. It has 6l6

I did the currency conversion in my head so forgive me if Im off a bit. 800 euros for the amp and 100 euros for the conversion for a total of $1250 USD. Thats about the going rate GC is trying to sell 2 of their used 6100's online. They have 2 other 6100's for under $999. Have you tried Ebay? Can you haggle on price?

core

Reaction score
Edit: okay it has 7 pre amp valves and 4 power amp valves. The pre amps are 7 x ECC83 (12AX7A) and the power amps are 4 x 5881 (which i assume are 6L6)

I dont know much about valves though, so basicly what your saying is that if i want EL34, all i need to do is make a conversion on the power amp and switch 4 valves, thats it?

Man you definitely DON'T want to convert a 5881(6L6) to EL34 this would be a nightmare, they are very complex inside. Just find an amp, one version or the other. To me they will be the same as you will find your sound within it as you already have. Just make sure the tubes are good tubes and you're good to go.

Early ones that do not have the the LM attached to the model number are most likely EL34 versions and the ones that are 6L6 versions will have a sticker next to the tubes stating "replace with 5881 tubes only."

core

Reaction score
I am not sure you can get there with the DSL. Peace Sells (1986) and Metallica Ride the Lighting (1984) were both released before the 6100 came out in 1992. The 6100 is a tribute to the Marshalls that came before it. Thats why it has that old school tone to it. The DSL came out long after those albums and has a more modern voicing. Its not likely you can get there with a DSL without pedals and or processors to get you there. If you really want to reach that tone, of the 2 amps your best bet is the 6100.

To be honest I don't think it really matters what amp you use to a degree. If you're in the ballpark you're there. (800, 900, 6100, DSL, JVM) I mean those guys play shows practically year round, they tour everywhere and Peace Sells is one of their finale songs. They sound amazing live. They nail it with JVM 410h's now and with an assortment of other amps including Line 6 and 9200 power amps in the past. It's subjective man.

To Nate, in my humblest opinion in the nicest way possible, just get a high gain amp that is reliable and suits you in the long run and play the fuck out of it. That metal tone you want will be there cause you will find it. But try not to obsess with the little details like a little bit more gain here and a touch of mids there. It's gonna drive you crazy man!

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
So, how about that contour pot on the lead channel?

Yeah, it rocks. Keep treb and bass at 5 and just ride that contour knob and find all the high-gain tones you could ever want.

NateCordova

Reaction score
But try not to obsess with the little details like a little bit more gain here and a touch of mids there. It's gonna drive you crazy man!

Thats why i want a amp that i don't want to ever get another one.

Well ,that way i'll just stick with a 6l6 6100 LM, i really need the gain boost.
Gain boost and gain on 1-2 o clock just gave me the most awesome metal sound i've ever heard. Can i make a 6L6 6100 LM sound pretty like a EL34? If i play with the EQs and if needed a EQ pedal too?

on youtube comparisons of both i really prefer the el34, it sounds more wet and fat.

cylon185

Reaction score
Hotplate

Maybe I should put this in another thread but hey, you're all here so...

Any of you guys use a hotplate on their 6100 ?

The only few times I cranked it around 5, I killed a few neighbors, but I loved the tone difference with around 2 so...

Is it worth buying the hotplate ?
Not coloring the tone too much ?
Any other advice ?

Cyril:headbanger:

rjohns1

Reaction score
Tonight's the first gig with the 6100. I'll try to have some pics of it in action tomorrow. Playing with the classic rock band tonight, and between the Blackstar Ht-Dual, and the 6100, I'll have about 7 channels to play with, LOL. I set it up today with the following sounds: The clean with the bright switch, crunch is on jt45 mode with the gain maxed, it sounds like I just have a bit of overdrive on the clean channel, and the lead channel with the gain boost on, with the gain at about 4.5. I have the black star setup to provide a nice crunch sound on the green mode, and on the red mode it is into ridiculous territory with the gain. On the clean channel, the blackstar has a nice fat, deep sound, and on the crunch channel, the mids really shine. I got so many different tones out of this combination, it is mind blowing. Oh, and last night I got my 6 new tung sol pres, and put them in. I have a late 50's Mullard in the V1 slot, and the rest are the tungsols. This thing is absolutely the best amp I have ever owned.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Re: Hotplate

Maybe I should put this in another thread but hey, you're all here so...

Any of you guys use a hotplate on their 6100 ?

The only few times I cranked it around 5, I killed a few neighbors, but I loved the tone difference with around 2 so...

Is it worth buying the hotplate ?
Not coloring the tone too much ?
Any other advice ?

Cyril:headbanger:

I turn the master up and the channel volume down. Works well for me. But if you use a Hot Plate, Powerbrake, Power Soak ect you will drop tone. Your highs will come down. You can use a MXR eq to fix it but you wont get it all back.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Thats why i want a amp that i don't want to ever get another one.

Well ,that way i'll just stick with a 6l6 6100 LM, i really need the gain boost.
Gain boost and gain on 1-2 o clock just gave me the most awesome metal sound i've ever heard. Can i make a 6L6 6100 LM sound pretty like a EL34? If i play with the EQs and if needed a EQ pedal too?

on youtube comparisons of both i really prefer the el34, it sounds more wet and fat.

The clean sounds better with the 6L6. But I prefer the crunch of the el34.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Tonight's the first gig with the 6100. I'll try to have some pics of it in action tomorrow. Playing with the classic rock band tonight, and between the Blackstar Ht-Dual, and the 6100, I'll have about 7 channels to play with, LOL. I set it up today with the following sounds: The clean with the bright switch, crunch is on jt45 mode with the gain maxed, it sounds like I just have a bit of overdrive on the clean channel, and the lead channel with the gain boost on, with the gain at about 4.5. I have the black star setup to provide a nice crunch sound on the green mode, and on the red mode it is into ridiculous territory with the gain. On the clean channel, the blackstar has a nice fat, deep sound, and on the crunch channel, the mids really shine. I got so many different tones out of this combination, it is mind blowing. Oh, and last night I got my 6 new tung sol pres, and put them in. I have a late 50's Mullard in the V1 slot, and the rest are the tungsols. This thing is absolutely the best amp I have ever owned.

Your last sentence says it all. Its really cool that you have found your tonal nirvana.

cylon185

Reaction score
Thanks longfxukxnhair

I tried both you know, master up channel down, master down channel up.
And I prefer the preamp cranked with low master, but I was wondering whether the saint grail was in the hotplate...

Thanks anyway,

Cyril

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Thanks longfxukxnhair

I tried both you know, master up channel down, master down channel up.
And I prefer the preamp cranked with low master, but I was wondering whether the saint grail was in the hotplate...

Thanks anyway,

Cyril

I say screw the people that live around you. Turn it up to 11 man. LOL

rjohns1

Reaction score
The gig went great. That amp is tits. That is all I have to say. I ran it with my avatar 212, with v30's, as it was a small club. Here is a pic of the rig.

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 25

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
The gig went great. That amp is tits. That is all I have to say. I ran it with my avatar 212, with v30's, as it was a small club. Here is a pic of the rig.

Thats so fucking sweet! The amp is tits. Any comment from others on your sound?

rjohns1

Reaction score
Yeah the other guys and gal said it sounded great. I'm just filling in with this band, the guitarist died last year around thanksgiving, I filled in when he got sick, and took over guitar duties when he died. Kind of a weird situation, the singer was married to the guy, and they started the band. he died of cancer. They are looking for a new guy to permanently replace him, I told them I would fill in until they do. I like the gig, and the pay is great, but the average drive is an hour and a half, so it's getting old. But back to the amp, yeah it kicks ass.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Yeah the other guys and gal said it sounded great. I'm just filling in with this band, the guitarist died last year around thanksgiving, I filled in when he got sick, and took over guitar duties when he died. Kind of a weird situation, the singer was married to the guy, and they started the band. he died of cancer. They are looking for a new guy to permanently replace him, I told them I would fill in until they do. I like the gig, and the pay is great, but the average drive is an hour and a half, so it's getting old. But back to the amp, yeah it kicks ass.

How depressing. I had a girl friend that I was with for 6 years. She dies 3 yrs ago at the age of 36. Give her my condolences.

Latest posts