Floating Trem swap

• Thread starter CherryOrchard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CherryOrchard

Reaction score
:wave: Hi everybody, hoping you can help steer me in the right direction to getting my guitar back to operational status. It is an Ibanez korean made RG that came w/an edge iii. Mixed reviews all over the place on that trem... All that aside, i got a sloppy one that doesn't like to come back to zero so something needs to be done. I have played on a couple licensed floyd rose bridges but not an ofr, so to be honest, i don't know how that compares to the OFR. I like the feel of the edge III. Its more comfortable to play than the lic. floyd, but i don't want to roll the dice on quality again. The first gen Edge trems are very reliable i hear. Would anybody be able to say how they play compared to the feel of the edge III? (feel being geared at the shape of the bridge against your palm, not necesarily the sensitivity of the trem action)

T-Bird

Reaction score
Hi.

Back in the day the RG I had whas a Japanese one, so the bridge may have been different, but what I do remember, it took a lot of fiddling to make it work as planned.

The same goes with every floating FR style bridge, so that brings one question:
Has everything necessary been done to the existing bridge to determine it's really junk?
Not just badly set up.

And welcome to the forums CherryOrchard.

Regards
Sam

CherryOrchard

Reaction score
I have had it set up by a pro guitar tech locally. Then took it back to him once it started to slip up. He thinks it possibly has something to do with the thin neck profile. I really think its the bridge though because it worked great for the first few months i had it. And its also been taken care of, lubed, cleaned, not beaten or missused. It is the first floyd guitar i've owned but i'm getting decent at adjusting and tunning so i'm pretty confident in the set up. I did up the string gauge from the stock 9's to 10's. So maybe that caused it to wear out faster idk....

Thanks for the welcome T-Bird!

Lester - no, Cherry Orchard use to be a furniture store in town lol!

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI74tyUefY4&feature=PlayList&p=FE4EC63AB10A0302&playnext=1&index=9]YouTube - CELTIC FROST - Cherry Orchards (promo video)[/ame]

Have ya a heapin' helpin' of Marshalls w/cheeze

tonefreak

Reaction score
I love that song...

"If suddenly you were a guy, I'd be suddenly gaaaaaaayyyyyyy."

ToddOwnz

Reaction score
I would just try a better Edge. I've heard really great things about the Edge Pro and the Edge Zero and I think they both should fit without any modifications.

P.S. Tell your guitar tech it ain't the neck lol. Ibanez has been using those necks for how long now??...

CherryOrchard

Reaction score
I have heard good things about the edge zero but was told the posts are to wide to fit my RG. I'll take some measurements to find out for sure.

CherryOrchard

Reaction score
Yeah, i thought that was weird to about the tech thinking it was an issue with the neck...