Fractal Audio Systems is INSANE!

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
My Axe Fx outs go into my Presonus Studio 192 interface (also used as my PC soundcard) then out of the interface into a Mackie Big Knob then into my JBL monitors.
In this setup, I don't really need the Mackie Big Knob in the chain but I really like all the ins and outs and it comes in handy for other things. For example, if while mixing, I would want to listen on a small set of speakers I can switch to them and I can always check mixes to mono with just a press of a button. Or, if I want to check a mix from quiet to loud, I can use the Dim feature.
I also have a UA Apollo twin that I can use for recording and is piped into the Mackie. I mostly use it for bass guitar because it has some really nice bass amp models and the mic pres are awesome. So, for recording I can technically choose between any of the 3 interfaces (PreSonus-Axe FX- Apollo).

chocol8

Reaction score
That is one downside to the JBL's. You can run XLR from the Fractal and a 1/8" to dual 1/4 TS cable from the PC but some other brands give you more input options and even Bluetooth from the PC.

I run my PC audio in and out through a Focusrite interface to the monitors, and also plug my modelers into that. Similar to the mini mixer approach.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
They're a PITA to turn on lol (power switches on the rear)...otherwise, no special reason.
You know there is an easy fix for that?
Furman power conditioner or just one of those power strips with multiple outlets.
I think my JBLs have only been switched on and have never been switched off except for when the power goes off from the Furman they are plugged into.

Derek S

Reaction score
You know there is an easy fix for that?
Furman power conditioner or just one of those power strips with multiple outlets.
I think my JBLs have only been switched on and have never been switched off except for when the power goes off from the Furman they are plugged into.
Of course! My Furman is full up with rack gear and amps. Besides, the monitors are power hungry, just don't feel like leaving them on when not in use.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
How does the Axe FX 3 thru a SS power amp into a 4x12 sound at low TV volumes? I know playing through a guitar cab isn't ideal, but curious how convincing it will still be at low volumes (not band volumes).

tallcoolone

Reaction score
How does the Axe FX 3 thru a SS power amp into a 4x12 sound at low TV volumes? I know playing through a guitar cab isn't ideal, but curious how convincing it will still be at low volumes (not band volumes).
It will sound good but now you are adding two other factors into the equation (power amp, guitar speakers/cab). The beauty of the AXE is that you don’t need that stuff. IMO if you are going to run modelers thru guitar cabs just stick to tube amps, but I know lots of players do what you describe. I’ve tried the power amp/guitar cab route a few times and found it incredibly sensitive to volume. If you dial in a patch at home at low volume it does not translate to gig volume at all.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
I'm sure you could tweak it to sound good used in that way.
Here is a vid I made like the 2nd or 3rd day after getting my AF3 and doing exactly that. You have to excuse my sloppy playing in this vid. My hands were killing me after basically playing for 8-10 hours straight the day before!
I believe that I have never ran it that way since.
I prefer to just use studio monitors that way I can choose which cab IR to use. Plus, if you want to try out other amps, it may sound better than going through my rig.
In this vid I am about the same level in the room when I would use my SV20H with an attenuator. Tv volume? ....Maybe a loud TV volume??
The amp model used here was a 1959 SLP and I had my pedal board in front of it.
Recorded with my cell phone....so, I think it compresses a bit when playing louder.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a vid I made like the 2nd or 3rd day after getting my AF3 and doing exactly that. You have to excuse my sloppy playing in this vid. My hands were killing me after basically playing for 8-10 hours straight the day before!
I prefer to just use studio monitors that way I can choose which cab IR to use. Plus, if you want to try out other amps, it may sound better than going through my rig.
In this vid I am about the same level in the room when I would use my SV20H with an attenuator. Tv volume? ....Maybe a loud TV volume??
Recorded with my cell phone....so, I think it compresses a bit when playing louder.

That sounds A LOT better than I was expecting. Very convincing tone, at least thru my headphones.

So I'm keeping my tube amps, I'm just looking for another toy to play with. I'll probably get studio monitors too, but was curious how it would sound thru a guitar cab.

Now I'm curious how it would sound if you split the signal into a real tube amp. Maybe a Marshall as the Center/Dry with the Axe FX 3 feeding wet Left & Right cabs.

Frodebro

Reaction score
I’ve used mine in 4CM and directly into the return on a few of my tube amps (Fillmore 50, Origin 50, and Triple Crown 50 so far).

What I’ve found is that the modeling in the AxeFX is good enough that you don’t really NEED to run it 4CM, straight into the return is quite good.

Currently I’m running the AxeFX into a QSC GSX3 power amp and a Mesa 3/4 back 2x12 with Vintage 30s, but when I have the motivation I’m going to swap out the V30s with a pair of C90s that I have because they’re a bit more neutral and I think would work better in this application.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score

Dang I am really impressed how good it sounded running it this way! Had you said nothing about your set up and one of those Marshall's pilot lights were glowing I'd have absolutely no clue it was a modeler.

These things look crazy crazy crazy fun, I know if I got one I'd just have a blast experimenting with just all the amp, cab, speaker options etc ... Eventually.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Dang I am really impressed how good it sounded running it this way! Had you said nothing about your set up and one of those Marshall's pilot lights were glowing I'd have absolutely no clue it was a modeler.

These things look crazy crazy crazy fun, I know if I got one I'd just have a blast experimenting with just all the amp, cab, speaker options etc ... Eventually.

I've had my Fractal for over a year now and have barely touched the surface of what it can do. I dialed in some presets that I really liked, and have basically just stuck with them this whole time.

I did run it 4CM with my Triple Crown and, for shits & giggles, added an amp block in parallel to the looped Mesa preamp to see how close the Fractal Triplr Crown models are to the real deal. It's not exact because the model also includes the power section, but it's close enough that you wouldn't know which is which in a blind test.

chocol8

Reaction score
The part of modeling that is furthest from the real thing is the sound of a real cab in the room. If you play a axe into a decent solid state (or hifi style tube) amp into a real cab, they sound extremely close to the real amp. You give up versatility but get great tone.

Derek S

Reaction score
I've had my Fractal for over a year now and have barely touched the surface of what it can do. I dialed in some presets that I really liked, and have basically just stuck with them this whole time.
Same here, somewhere around 2 years in now with my Axe III and still feel like a noob, but that's by choice, I dare not dive down that rabbit hole, I'm much happier sticking with my handful of killer sounding patches and having the focus stay on making music with them vs trying to master the unit which would 1) take a lifetime and 2), is too distracting from what I really enjoy. I will say this, despite sticking with tones that I've always felt comfy with, it is sooo fun branching out and exploring some amp types I'd otherwise never have access to, especially on days when I don't have any creative mojo and just want to noodle/woodshed. Lately I've been digging the ODS100 (dumble), Vox and Mesa Mk tones, they're all pretty killer and I'd never bother checking them out otherwise lol...but since they're a twist away now, well why not?!

Derek S

Reaction score
I seem to be finding a new pissed off crunchy amp model every week to add to my favorite list. The Cameron CCV is the latest to pretty much wow me...

PowerTube44

Reaction score
... I know if I got one I'd just have a blast experimenting with just all the amp, cab, speaker options etc ... Eventually.

One word of caution... my Boss GT-100 has nowhere near the capability of an AXE unit, but still, I find that I'm tweaking almost as much as playing. It's a form of "option anxiety," I guess, where you just "know" you can get it "just a little bit better."