Friedman Amps, Help Me Out Here.

• Thread starter chiliphil1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I hear your point but having one of our own demo is much more entertaining. And a bit of fun.

No worries. $400 amps to over 2.5K I sound the same.
You were like the 4th or 5th person to demand sound clips from me as if what or how I play has anything to do with anything. I aint playing that stupid game. I could be great, or I could suck, and neither way matters.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I'm just f'n around.

Seriously though if they made it look like a traditional amp it would sway alot more people into the modeling game.

Yeah, we had a dude walk in while we were playing the Kemper and he's like "what the hell is that thing" Seriously though, how could you not know what it is when you see it? Everybody and their mother in law is talking about Kemper's these days.

It leads me to ask, how different are these Friedmans from the YJM you once owned? I bet not much different. And I bet all those custom Ceriatones are just as good but at a fraction of the cost. Good luck chiliphil1 with whatever you choose.

From the YJM quite a bit. The DS is much more open sounding, it seems to have a lot more bloom to the notes and the drive is MUCH meaner. It has that nasty hairy sound where the YJM had that more smooth and mellow thing going on. With the boost engaged I would say that the YJM was closer to the DS but, not quite there. The touch response from the DS was like nothing I have played before. I don't know what the hell Dave does but it absolutely feels different, at least to me.

Not to mention, getting into a used YJM would be more than a new DS mini and the YJM is massive and heavy where the DS mini is fairly small and is only 20 lbs or so.

You better believe I'm watching that one, in fact, if it's still sitting there when the money clears my bank it'll be in my house. If that one isn't there any more I'll go with a new mini because the other 40 watt ones are above $2k.

zachman

Reaction score
You were like the 4th or 5th person to demand sound clips from me as if what or how I play has anything to do with anything. I aint playing that stupid game. I could be great, or I could suck, and neither way matters.

You considered that a demand? Must be one of those 'overly-sensitive' types.

Just thinking out loud, but it would certainly show if your ears are broken or not, if your skills are there or not (Playing, using fx, and recording), and it would provide more valuable info about you and your opinions, and whether or not the people you address should value your input and opinions or at the very least give some indication of just how much attention should be given to your comments (or not, as the case may be). It DEFINITELY illustrates WHY some opinions are valued, and why others-- not so much.

My $.02

EDIT: My favorite Friedman is the SS

Last edited:

anitoli

Reaction score
I think Friedman's pricing is pure genius, It's got allot of people talking about his gear. Bitching about the price tag is generating allot of free advertising for him. At the end of the day if by now you don't know who Dave Freidman is..........

MantraSky

Reaction score
Gat daem Man. That anus I mean BE in your hands kills.

Loved it. I shouldn't have lumped the BE in my line up.

My ears just think the Runt is ok and the PT is decent but not for the price.

I'm prolly just a cheap dude but any amp over $2500 to me is ego tax...not build. But that's my line I draw in the sand. I can afford $3600 but it just makes me feel my BE got raped.
Solar Your definitely "One of the Coolest" people on this forum! (a lot of good people here!!!), you like to put it straight and to the point! YES the BE is a bit of cash!!!! like you might know I've owned so many great amps (Bogner, Soldano, Suhr, Friedman) also a lot of Marshall's mostly Modified (Jose Arrendondo, Mark Cameron, Lee Jackson etc.) the funny thing I bought my son his Soldano SLO new in 2010 for $3,200.00 now there like $4,499.00 that's a load of cash? but I'll tell you his SLO sounds killer. My son tells me that the BE100 goes really well with "My style" of playing, I feel it's a lot to do with "EL34 Power Tubes" and I love the English Tone.

It would be cool to get a bunch of guitarists from the forum, through the Internet with "Wav.file" & We Transfer website, rock out on a tune and then post it on You Tube,
"Just for Fun".

\../

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Gat daem Man. That anus I mean BE in your hands kills.

I'm prolly just a cheap dude but any amp over $2500 to me is ego tax...not build. But that's my line I draw in the sand. I can afford $3600 but it just makes me feel my BE got raped.

I think you’re right....and btw I’m guilty of taking the plunge. Once you get to a certain quality level any improvement is subjective and on the margins. I cant tell you how many guys I’ve seen playing a Gibson Les Paul studio plugged into a JCM2000 DSL 100 through a 1960 cab absolutely killing it.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I think you’re right....and btw I’m guilty of taking the plunge. Once you get to a certain quality level any improvement is subjective and on the margins. I cant tell you how many guys I’ve seen playing a Gibson Les Paul studio plugged into a JCM2000 DSL 100 through a 1960 cab absolutely killing it.

Dam Deep Purple Fan, you have a shit load of amps and gear and I thought I had a lot, no way after reading your signature.

How do you like your Dirty Shirley? Do you play it a lot?

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Dam Deep Purple Fan, you have a shit load of amps and gear and I thought I had a lot, no way after reading your signature.

How do you like your Dirty Shirley? Do you play it a lot?

I like the DIRTY SHIRLEY. To me its like a really good JCM800 2204 with a bit more gain and a completely transparent FX. MY JCM8004212 is similar tone wise but the clarity andarticulation of he theDS is better. The 4212 is a very good amp and this particular one is better than others I’ve played. I don’t play the ds that much but because of his thread I played it for an hour this morning. I was playing dio era blackmores rainbow and mk 2 deep Purple. It is perfect for hard classic rock. I was playing a Les Paul std and the cab is a 1960 with greenbacks. I didn’t bother o have anything in he fx loop and I used a Maxon od808 for a a boost. Great amp....but a bit pricey. I don’t play it because I play the JVMHJS but how I have the JVM eq’d the amps are interchangeable.

I’m selling most of my amps. I don’t know wat gets into me. I lose my mind when I see a good buy on a great amp.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the DIRTY SHIRLEY. To me its like a really good JCM800 2204 with a bit more gain and a completely transparent FX. MY JCM8004212 is similar tone wise but the clarity andarticulation of he theDS is better. The 4212 is a very good amp and this particular one is better than others I’ve played. I don’t play the ds that much but because of his thread I played it for an hour this morning. I was playing dio era blackmores rainbow and mk 2 deep Purple. It is perfect for hard classic rock. I was playing a Les Paul std and the cab is a 1960 with greenbacks. I didn’t bother o have anything in he fx loop and I used a Maxon od808 for a a boost. Great amp....but a bit pricey. I don’t play it because I play the JVMHJS but how I have the JVM eq’d the amps are interchangeable.

I’m selling most of my amps. I don’t know wat gets into me. I lose my mind when I see a good buy on a great amp.

I was showing my girl your list of stuff and telling her how much win is in there. She laughed at me as she doesn't understand or know what's good or not until I drool all over. However she knows Marshall is my fav and that's good with me.LOL

Lots of great gear in there. The variety as well as what you chose. I'd be like a kid in a candy store.

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Great info! Do you know if you can get the JTM 45 tone out of it? I read somewhere that its based on that design with some extra feature and gain if needed. If the gain switch is in the low gain position can you the JTM style tone?

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Alright so who snagged the used mini DS "with box" I was watching on Reverb :hmm:

Not me, unfortunately.

Great info! Do you know if you can get the JTM 45 tone out of it? I read somewhere that its based on that design with some extra feature and gain if needed. If the gain switch is in the low gain position can you the JTM style tone?

From my short experience with it, absolutely. The one I played even though it was brand new in store was apparently an older one because it didn't have the gain switch but, with the low input yes, that classic marshall thing just leaks from the seams on that amp. A little bit of guitar volume fiddling and you can do everything from the Beatles through DIO on there. Then there is the high input which is I believe God's own personal guitar tone.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Not me, unfortunately.

From my short experience with it, absolutely. The one I played even though it was brand new in store was apparently an older one because it didn't have the gain switch but, with the low input yes, that classic marshall thing just leaks from the seams on that amp. A little bit of guitar volume fiddling and you can do everything from the Beatles through DIO on there. Then there is the high input which is I believe God's own personal guitar tone.

Nice...now I really have the itch and the GAS for one...

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I was showing my girl your list of stuff and telling her how much win is in there. She laughed at me as she doesn't understand or know what's good or not until I drool all over. However she knows Marshall is my fav and that's good with me.LOL

Lots of great gear in there. The variety as well as what you chose. I'd be like a kid in a candy store.

If you're ever in Alexandria VA you're more than welcome to come over for jam and to try the kit out. I will supply the whisky and beer to boot. Just PM me and give me lots of warning.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Another option would be buy an old JMP for around 1K & send it to Dave to build you a one of a kind. Cost anywhere from $500 to 1K more.

Dave gave me a price of $650 to tweak my Orange to sound like a Marshall. I opted for the $40 SD-1 to accomplish the same thing.