Friedman IR-X

• Thread starter Ufoscorpion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I remember that know. That's too bad, because I don't like how either sounds. I do want a floor/desktop unit like the IR-X though and will still be looking for something from either. But if either doesn't sound to my liking, I still wouldn't buy them of course. But if either does, I would see it as a good versatile unit/s to buy.
View attachment 137954

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Never jived with the idea of the Synergy/modular stuff. You can't use the same power amp for so many different amps without making sacrifices somewhere I always figured. And if I'm dropping $2k+ on a rig I don't like sacrifices lol. Plus I'd always be worried in the back of my mind about obsolescence, like I do with modelers.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Never jived with the idea of the Synergy/modular stuff. You can't use the same power amp for so many different amps without making sacrifices somewhere I always figured. And if I'm dropping $2k+ on a rig I don't like sacrifices lol. Plus I'd always be worried in the back of my mind about obsolescence, like I do with modelers.
Fair enough , I won’t be getting rid of my valve amps anytime soon . I only paid £550 for my syn1 with BE module ( new ) it’s great for messing about with at home ( which is all most of us do ) using an m-cab+ and an old Bose sound deck I’m not trying to impress any cork sniffers. Plus a pre amp is a pre amp , nothing else fancy about it really apart from being modular .

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Fair enough , I won’t be getting rid of my valve amps anytime soon . I only paid £550 for my syn1 with BE module ( new ) it’s great for messing about with at home ( which is all most of us do ) using an m-cab+ and an old Bose sound deck I’m not trying to impress any cork sniffers. Plus a pre amp is a pre amp , nothing else fancy about it really apart from being modular .
That’s the way to go I have to think with these. I just looked again—a 50w, 2 module head with 3 modules (why would you invest in this system and not get at least 3 modules) will run you a cool $2800.

Kendall124

Reaction score
I had a Synergy 50. I bought the Vai and the Bassman modules. Not my thing. The power section seemed lacking. Really great idea though. You could spend a fortune on modules. My set up always consists of a clean, crunch and solo channel. The Friedman preamp is interesting. But for 500 bucks new, I think I’ll have to wait.

Last edited:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I had a Synergy 50. I bought the Vai and the Bassman modules. Not my thing. The power section seemed lacking. Really great idea though. You could spend a fortune on modules. My set up always consists of a clean, crunch and solo channel. The Friedman preamp is interesting. But for 500 bucks new, I think I’ll have to wait.
Interesting choice of modules , what sort of use did you have in mind ? ie gigging , recording or just for home use ? I’m of the opinion that any power amp needs to be around at least 10 o’clock volume wise to open up .

Whizzercone

Reaction score
It sounds pretty good, but it seems like a ToneX pedal is a better choice for that kind of thing and the price is lower.

Frodebro

Reaction score
It sounds pretty good, but it seems like a ToneX pedal is a better choice for that kind of thing and the price is lower.

Honestly, I think it’s a product that is about eight or ten years late to the party. The form factor is popular enough currently, but there is a lot out there in that price range that offers a lot more versatility.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Honestly, I think it’s a product that is about eight or ten years late to the party. The form factor is popular enough currently, but there is a lot out there in that price range that offers a lot more versatility.
There’s no comparison between an IR-X and a modeler , two completely different things . There’s not a lot of alternatives out there for those of us that would rather have sharp sticks poked in out eyes than go the modeler route .

niazmet

Reaction score
Friedman stop sending these stuff to youtubers
Send it to me. I'll give it a honest review. My channel has 1 subscriber. Monetization is off
I'll compare to a Marshall portable handmade with two pre amp tubes, it cost the same price. (actually the marshall inspired is 572 USD)
As a bonus point I'll make the video without professional editing but with high quality audio. No clickbait, no double language and "crunchy saturation" buzzword. I won't even say it sounds amazing for trash metal:io:

I'll play both at noon settings. If your sounds better you'll sell more units and you'll get bonus points. If you lose the basement guy building it 1 by 1 will get reputation for being better than your Tube Preamp pedal

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
There’s no comparison between an IR-X and a modeler , two completely different things . There’s not a lot of alternatives out there for those of us that would rather have sharp sticks poked in out eyes than go the modeler route .
This.

The IR-X is hitting a sweet spot as a product for me and I'm liekly to pull the trigger in the next month. I can replace my Friedman pedals, and run it as a pre-amp into my ORI 20H and get a tube plexi sound, plexi with boost (those are pretty much all I need), and I have the BE-ish channel too to play around with. As it's tube, It should take any pedals into the front end well. And the Friedman pedals, as good as they are, are noisy as hell into the front of an amp.

On top of that, for when I need something to mess around with at night, or when everyone is home- I can unplug it from my amp setup in the loft, bring it downstairs, put it straight into a powered monitor (or use headphones), switch on the IR and Power amp modelling and have something that (seemingly) sounds way better than a Code, BOSS IR, or Line 6 Helix based models (and from what i can tell, ToneX too). And I get the better dynamics and satisfying feel of actual tubes vs. the all digital stuff (as good as it has become). Easy to dial in, don't seem to need a course at the local community college to figure out the app/menus/sub menus/easter egg/BS deep dive features, and I've got the option to pick up a few IRs that might float my boat better.

The product strikes a great balance for those of us who prescribe to the KISS methodology when it comes to guitar gear but wan some modern conveniences- tube tone is the priority, along with a great deal of flexibility in how we use it-and with minimal complication in doing so.

JTM1963

Reaction score
Friedman IR-X arrived today and I've spent two hours with it and I'm more than happy.
I've seen Dave and others on Youtube saying that it feels like playing an amp. It does.
Dave said start with everything at 12 o'clock and you'll already have a good sound. He's right. Minor tweaks and it's good sound+.

I've had a year trying to get the Victory Sheriff preamp to sound the way I like it (Marshally) and it just isn't my cup of tea.

The Sheriff is leaving. The Friedman is staying.