New Friedman 20watt JEL coming very soon .

• Thread starter Ufoscorpion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wojciech

Reaction score
@MantraSky thank you very much for the detailed answer. Actually I own SV20 and was wondering if Friedman may be worth the swap. Unfortunately in EU the price difference between SV and JEL is x2. I think I will pass on this amp then, but still I need to look into the mod you mentioned. Thanks again!

cragginshred

Reaction score
It actually does not sound like the other clips on YT
they are recorded with IR's/DAW's ect

This is what it actually sounds lke

dtier

Reaction score
It' worth noting that if the new JEL 20 is the same JEL preamp circuit as before, it is a modded/hotrodded Marshall 2203/4 circuit. The Jose mod is what the Friedman BE and Smallbox and others are based on. Both are medium/high gain preamps but are kinda apples and oranges from which to pick from. Disclaimer: I haven't owned these amps but have built the circuits.

With so many new amps to chose from now, at reasonable prices, modding is getting less and less necessary other than personalization.

cragginshred

Reaction score
Your right it doesn't sound exactly like the other YouTube video's, which I like more of the "Ferocious High-Gain" JEL tone! I actually played through the 100w JEL and 20w versions at a gig recently, both were really cool sounding, I did prefer the 100w but the 20w version is really nice. In your video, I did think the JEL-20 sounded better than the PTv2, there was more "Clarity" with the notes and rhythm chords! and I understand the YouTube compression/bandwidth and depending on the listeners sound system, I'm listeninig through 12" 3-way studio monitors.

You know with how good PA systems are today, a 20w amp can sound massive! There is something special with a 100w on a arena stage, w/o PA this hugeness that I absolutly love! Back in the day Jake did have his Marshall's modified either Jose or Jackson, most everyone did.

John Waite said your hired :)
Haaa! It's a new/old song to be performed live this Friday so I was using it as a tone test!

purpleplexi

Reaction score
If anyone in the states are willing to send me a JEL 20 I will send them a brand new 1987x in return . Straight up , I will have to wait over a month to get my hands on a JEL here in England , plus both parties would seriously gain financially
( particularly states side considering a 1987x is
$ 3000 ) in the deal .
Can't help but think you've described a brilliant business model.....

Slapshot1

Reaction score
Sounds like many of you have a lot of experience with Marshall amps. Is there any (unmodded) Marshall 20 watt head amp that you would choose over this JEL? Based on comments and reviews, It seems to provide the classic Marshall Plexi sound in the one channel, and then, in the other channel, it's taken the famous Marshall 2304 crunch even a step further.

Latest posts