• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Friedman Smallbox + Les Paul (Fast video) \o/

Del Rei

Reaction score
Interesting point to chat about...

I love Friedman (I have 3). For sure they were made to have a Marshall "feel"...

Don't know if you guys are aware, but initially Dave Friedman branded his amps under the name "Marsha" - until the day he received a nice letter from Marshall asking him to change the name. On Google we can still find some old Marsha.

But... In fact they're not supposed to be exactly a Marshall. Marshall tone is the point where Dave started to, but hey have different feel. Different bites. More modern. Specially because Dave started modding some Marshalls...

When I compare my Marshall with my Friedman, I can say they are all from same family in tone. But there are other things to consider.

I can relate some points in Friedman's favor:

1) Master Volume. The difference here is from heaven to hell. Friedman sounds ridiculously good at 0.1 and my Marshall need to be at least on 3 (and that's loud) to get the real "Marshall tone". I mean... Marshall sounds good at low volumes, but the classic Marshall tone only appears when you turn it up. Can't play my Marshall without attenuator anymore.

2) Noise at high volumes. Friedman is much more silent when Master is above 5.

3) Loop FX. Never find loop so transparent as Friedman's.

4) Not exactly a problem, but the "firmness" of Friedman's pots are really good. My Marshall's pot are a little loose compared to Friedman.

5) Support. As a "smaller" company, Dave can personally answer all your questions on the Facebook. And he is a really nice guy. And you can talk to him and ask for a completely custom product to fill your needs. That's priceless. For those who lives in the USA, it's a great positive factor.

Now my points in Marshall's favor:

1) It's a Marshall :wub2:

And the fact that we see a lot more of Marshall in stage, I think the most important point is: Marshall exist since the 60's right? Most part of great albums we love were recorded when Friedman didn't even exist... And also, If Marshall didn't exist, Friedman would not either - or at least with a different tone reference (that's my humble opinion).

But that's how the world works... Probably if Fender didn't exist, Marshall would not be as we know today, right?

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
why not bro?
just my opinion here ok, but Friedman is smoking marshall like a cheap cigar
right now.

I agree with you that Friedman makes fantastic amps. The two I have are amazing amps. We differ in our opinion of Marshall. Although all Marshalls don’t interest me, I do really like some things Marshall is doing. The brand has come a long way. The Studio series is great. Ive been waiting for this for years and they nailed it. Its hard not to love a manageable 20W Plexi or JCM800. I like most of he amps in the Vintage series. I also like the 1959 SLP HW alot. Lastly, the JVM is fantastic. Marshall and Friedman are different enough where both brands offer something great.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
was just talking about the JJ actually.
im digging the smaller heads these days.
if one picks right he/she can have a lot of tonal
options and not take up much real estate at the house.
add a nice 1x12, 2x12, and or 4x12 and your done.
they say less is more these days.

Del Rei

Reaction score
was just talking about the JJ actually.
im digging the smaller heads these days.
if one picks right he/she can have a lot of tonal
options and not take up much real estate at the house.
add a nice 1x12, 2x12, and or 4x12 and your done.
they say less is more these days.
Same here, man.
These "new" small amps are greatly voiced and sounds huge.
I have a SB50 but all my other amps are 20/15W.

I’ve reached out to Dave with what might be considered a dumb question and he was quick and friendly with his responses.
Best CS I ever seen.