• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Friedman Smallbox - Some Tone Tests...

Del Rei

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

I have this amp over a year, and really love it. Best Marshall style I have ever owned. But I never had the chance to compare to any original Marshall, side by side.

Anyway, I recorded some clips using this Isolation Cabinet (Randall's clone - you can see detailed at end of 1st video) with the V30 and SM57. I'm not fully satisfied with this IsoCab results yet, but I'm working on getting better. At 2nd video I added some reverb with Reaper.

It would be really nice to know what you think about.

:)

Tiboy

Reaction score
Great job on tone and playing. The cat was a cool addition to the visuals on the second vid.

Del Rei

Reaction score
Thank you, guys!

Proceeding with the tests.. A clean tone with Plexi Channel.
Not the best recording (still learning this process).
I really didn't like this result. Not a great clean tone... But it was my fault on the recording process. The real sound is much better.

Reverb added with Reaper.

Original song:

Last edited:

Coronado

Reaction score
Cat digs the Friedman! That's awesome!

Great playing and I dig the tone! By the way, that camera mounted on your guitar is frickin' cool!!! What are you using to mount your camera?

Derek S

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

I have this amp over a year, and really love it. Best Marshall style I have ever owned. But I never had the chance to compare to any original Marshall, side by side.

Anyway, I recorded some clips using this Isolation Cabinet (Randall's clone - you can see detailed at end of 1st video) with the V30 and SM57. I'm not fully satisfied with this IsoCab results yet, but I'm working on getting better. At 2nd video I added some reverb with Reaper.

It would be really nice to know what you think about.

I like the second clip a wee bit better, the first one is a 'lil boxy sounding, the second one is really nice (must be the cat lol :) )! Unmistakable LP into a crunchy EL34 amp tone, gott luv it! Great work.

Del Rei

Reaction score
Cat digs the Friedman! That's awesome!
Great playing and I dig the tone! By the way, that camera mounted on your guitar is frickin' cool!!! What are you using to mount your camera?

Hey, man. Thank you! I guess there's a lot of guitar players that likes cats! :)
I used these two itens below.
One is a kind of clip that came in the "Jaws Flex Clamp Mount" and I use it fixed on the headstock.
And the second is a side mount that I bought for connecting the camera in right position on the clip.

I like the second clip a wee bit better, the first one is a 'lil boxy sounding, the second one is really nice (must be the cat lol :) )! Unmistakable LP into a crunchy EL34 amp tone, gott luv it! Great work.

Hey! :)
Yeah, on second video I added some reverb to compensate the boxy sound of the isocab.
I'm still trying to find a good mic technique to solve this, to make it sound more natural.
I worry about the possibility of changing the original tone when adding artificial reverb.

Last edited:

Del Rei

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

Just recorded this new short clip some days ago with Smallbox.
Used my isocab (Randall clone) with a V30 and SM57. I live in an apartment, so the volume needs to be moderated.

Did not add any effects... Maybe a reverb would be nice next time.

BE Channel used, but not a high gain setting:

Master 2: 1,5
Gain 2: 6
Presence: 3 o'clock
Treble: 3 o'clock
Bass: max
Middle: max

Don't know much about mix/mastering, so, do not expect a great sound.