Fryette PS-2a vs. PS-100

• Thread starter Mark_G
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which one would you get/prefer to use?

• PS-2a

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • PS-100

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Mark_G

Reaction score
I keep reading that people wouldn't use the features...doesn't everyone use EQ, reverb and delay?
For sure. It's just that I already have many (TOO many) pedals that I love to use and cycle for variety. Also, I don't use MIDI. I only brought up the OX in that it also offers attenuation/reactive load and is highly regarded - but not as a direct comparison to the TAE, which I have no doubt is a great unit.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I had a TAE before the Fryette,and like every other SS amp I have tried,it’s darker,and lacks definition because of the difference in how it reacts to a speaker.I have had both for over a year,and have ex
I don’t feel this way at all luckily

V-man

Reaction score
Sorry man, this doesn’t make any sense. I trust Roland/Boss in Japan to be at least as meticulous as the guys in Fryette’s back room. And I’m being facetious.

Feel free to disagree it’s speculative either way… notwithstanding the FACT that there clearly seems to be a disproportionate number of complaints with the TAE online over everything else it competes with.

Nah, it’s all because it’s Fryette. They are for some reason one of the darlings of the gear boards. At some point it was established that the PS was the “best” way to attenuate/reamp your signal. I’ve got zero against them—I did find the “R&D” kickstarter habit a bit distasteful but I guess I’m from another generation. Bottom line for me is what does the box take off my plate in use and at set up.

And this is where you need to read the room. Was this a “Best bang for your buck mid-engine sports car“ thread? Feel free to play car salesman for yours with such and I might meet you in that thread espousing “my little creampuff’s” merits as well. This OTOH is “Buying a Corvette… Z06 or ZR1?” Nobody asked or gives a damn about your “Acura” in this context. It was clear from your intro into this thread you came to stir the pot. And again… if the PS is somehow “the darlings of the gear boards” among many with deep pockets and whacked priorities who buy/demo everything in sight (as is the case 100% PS vs TAE) maybe you should learn something from those repeated and reported experiences.

These are live tools for me, I’m not using this to get the greatest ‘Politician’ tone. I’ve been a gear hound since 1986, if this box made my amps sound any less than fantastic it wouldn’t have lasted a week.

Nothing personal (we spar here and agree there on these threads) but this is pure cringe. Politician tone (??) vs “pro guy who *really* uses his gear???” Playing live regularly adds weight to your recommendations on durability and function and little else. If one reads about X gadget they will probably respect your testimonial more (about durability/usability live) than some random commenter. OTOH, when 7/12 random people comment they owned both and favor the other brand and all you have in response is “politician tone,” “internet forum darling” and “I’m a [real] gigging musician” (when you’ve never even touched the other one) it would seem your credibility goes out the window entirely.

It scratches his itch because it flat out does a ton more. Having reverb/delay/compression/boost/eq/loop already in the box fully MIDI controllable is an absolute game changer.

Again, reverb/delay/compression/boost/eq/loop. Oh and presets. And adjustable load.

Were the “does a ton more” argument to make sense, Tube amps and analog pedals would have been dumpster fodder 10 years ago. Everybody would have some Boss ME-/GT- floor unit with MIDI, presets, etc. Why not then?

1) for as great as Boss is (and it is -I myself use some of their cheaper units often among expensive ones) … Boss really ain’t that great. Give me a company to field all my FX needs under one banner and they are likely #1 these days. Give me the choice for the best OD, Flanger, Gate, Delay, etc and they aren’t found anywhere on the fucking board. I don’t want to be locked into all that “mid” shit… I want to use what *I* want to use.

2) Hell with being locked into using all that “mid” shit (or having the nice onboard option), I don’t want to pay for all that “mid” shit, much less study on how to use it. The TAE is a complete and total ripoff at $1,300 new today if you are using it primarily or exclusively for the purpose of this discussion. Maybe if they put it at the $700 mark and pulled all that bullshit out (so I can buy *my own* preferred “tech unit” for $300-500 and STILL come out cheaper), they would have a competitor.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Feel free to disagree it’s speculative either way… notwithstanding the FACT that there clearly seems to be a disproportionate number of complaints with the TAE online over everything else it competes with.
I have no idea what “fact” you are talking about here? I was asking specifically about your previous comment about large manufacturers in Japan having a higher percentage of defective products.

As far as the public complaints I think I’ve read about a dozen threads on 4 boards about the same incident that popped up on TGP. If there are a large number of reported failures outside of that I haven’t seen them.

And again… if the PS is somehow “the darlings of the gear boards” among many with deep pockets and whacked priorities who buy/demo everything in sight (as is the case 100% PS vs TAE) maybe you should learn something from those repeated and reported experiences.
Well, that’s why I bring up Gearhead Jesus PThorn. Dude is a Suhr endorser and chooses to tour with the TAE.
It was clear from your intro into this thread you came to stir the pot.
Well, yeah, it’s a public discussion board and all. And PS owners do get up in arms when it is suggested that their box isn’t the ‘best’…it is kinda fun shaking the tree a bit lol
Nothing personal (we spar here and agree there on these threads) but this is pure cringe. Politician tone (??) vs “pro guy who *really* uses his gear???” Playing live regularly adds weight to your recommendations on durability and function and little else.
“Politician tone” is a dig at members of another gear board who like to talk Dumble amps, crystal lattice, haunting mids and Robben Ford tone. I never called myself a “pro guy” nor did I ever say that I “really use my gear”. You’re just making that shit up man.

I said I use the box as a “live tool”, which I would assume falls under your “function” category

Hell with being locked into using all that “mid” shit
Now this is where we agree. If you have no issues with a complicated setup and you are particular about delay flavors sure the TAE may be overkill, for me 5 different types of Boss/Roland delays are sufficient.

As far as it being expensive paying a thousand or two for the brain of a rig I use every day is luckily not an issue for me but I get it is for some.

V-man

Reaction score
Boss as at least 1 Delay that isn't "mid". :wub2:

View attachment 156476

“At least” indeed. Some might be particularly fond of one of their chorus FX or whatnot also.

It’s the 1990’s “Customer: I just want a word processor. Microsoft: Fuck you. here’s an “Office Suite” with 12 other things (like it or not) for only $300 bundle“ bullshit I don’t get along with.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Than you! In what you wrote above, (highlighted in red) does that also seem evident while attenuating down at lower volume levels - or more so when the amp is pushed with the PS-100?

At lower volumes you don't really notice it. But the mini toggle switches let you fine tune the low and the high end plus you have a Resonance and a Presence control.

Then again I play mostly at band volumes. So if you're a homeplayer the smaller version should suffice.

Let us know on which one you decide! :)

peterplexi

Reaction score
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious b/c I don't play live anymore and haven't for a LONG time. Wouldn't a guy like Pete Thorn have a pedal board for his delay and reverb anyway? These sessions guys usually have pretty nifty pedalboards, so I'm surprised they'd give that up from some canned FX in a direct box. Again, i've never played through a TAE so the FX may be wonderful.
You have no idea of what you speak of. He used the tae with a suhr plexi so that went to foh in stereo with the TAE IRs and stereo delays, reverb, etc. Then he used another amp for his clean tone with his pedalboard. It was just a convenient way of running in stereo to foh.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
You have no idea of what you speak of. He used the tae with a suhr plexi so that went to foh in stereo with the TAE IRs and stereo delays, reverb, etc. Then he used another amp for his clean tone with his pedalboard. It was just a convenient way of running in stereo to foh.

No shit. My ignorance on the topic was heavily implied.

Last edited:

Mark_G

Reaction score
At lower volumes you don't really notice it. But the mini toggle switches let you fine tune the low and the high end plus you have a Resonance and a Presence control.

Then again I play mostly at band volumes. So if you're a homeplayer the smaller version should suffice.

Let us know on which one you decide! :)
Appreciate the response! Yep, I'll be pulling the trigger on one of them soon and will report back. I know I'll be impressed with either one. But as of now, I'm leaning towards the 100.

Latest posts