G String Compensation

• Thread starter Phil Gagnier
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Gagnier

Reaction score
So how many others tune their g slightly flat... Been for a few weeks now and honestly, wow what a difference.. Also what are ppl thoughts of the Buzz Feiten tuning system... My Washburn has that, need a BF equipped tuner tho.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I have issues when the G is tuned slightly flat. Kills my ears.

And I've played a few Buzz Feiten guitars and absolutely love them. My next guitar will be one.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
No not me, the only string I may consider tuning slightly flat is the B string...

I like the G string nice and tight and right up in there. However, if it gets a bit moist/damp it goes flat anyway...LOL!!!

Last edited:

Conghaille

Reaction score
From what I've understood over the years, the G string isn't any more likely to become sharp than any other string, but rather, because of the physical composition of the string, it tends to be more pronounced in any case, so when it becomes even a bit flat or (particularly) sharp, it's really noticeable, whereas, say a D string can go the same distance out of pitch but not seem so discordant.

When I was first starting out, I actually did the opposite, where I'd tune most of the guitar just a touch sharp except the G string. I used to call it "bright tuning" as all the major chords really popped and chimed. What I didn't understand then was that I probably had some intonation issues, and perhaps could have through components, EQ, and string selection actually crafted the right sound that was in tune.

If you intend to play with anyone, you can't rely on taking things sharp/flat unless the whole composition and band is correspondingly detuned. Otherwise you're going to hit a note on that G string and when the bass and keys also play, you're going to have a band-wide discord.

BowerR64

Reaction score
Now that i started collecting les pauls that string is the one i have the most trouble with myself. IMO the kick back on the neck and the bend it makes going to the tuners makes that string a tricky one to keep solid for me.

If your having problems with the G being to pronounced couldnt you raise all the poles on your pickups but keep the G down low so that its not so pronounced?

If you look at Fender pickups, the B is lower then all the others, i thought that was the nature of single coils is why.

Low B string.JPG

Last edited:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
There was a string formula some guitarist acknowledged which was discussed. I cannot remember who though; maybe Frampton, Knopfler or someone like that.

I should stat that it is not that my G string is just flat but rather it is flatter in relation to the other five strings. Each string has its own +/- cents.

Phil Gagnier

Reaction score
No not me, the only string I may consider tuning slightly flat is the B string...

I like the G string nice and tight and right up in there. However, if it gets a bit moist/dam it goes flat anyway...LOL!!!
Ya that too, any change in temp or moisture really messes with it

Phil Gagnier

Reaction score
From what I've understood over the years, the G string isn't any more likely to become sharp than any other string, but rather, because of the physical composition of the string, it tends to be more pronounced in any case, so when it becomes even a bit flat or (particularly) sharp, it's really noticeable, whereas, say a D string can go the same distance out of pitch but not seem so discordant.

When I was first starting out, I actually did the opposite, where I'd tune most of the guitar just a touch sharp except the G string. I used to call it "bright tuning" as all the major chords really popped and chimed. What I didn't understand then was that I probably had some intonation issues, and perhaps could have through components, EQ, and string selection actually crafted the right sound that was in tune.

If you intend to play with anyone, you can't rely on taking things sharp/flat unless the whole composition and band is correspondingly detuned. Otherwise you're going to hit a note on that G string and when the bass and keys also play, you're going to have a band-wide discord.
Good point, and yes I'd have to agree with you.

BowerR64

Reaction score
One thing i always liked about the Floyd and now the Gibson bridge is how the bridge has a fixed saddle curve. I dont have the proper tools to setup a bridge like the Fender where you can not only adjust the intonation but adjust the saddle height and it needs to match the radius of the neck. I try and eyeball it and get it as close as i can but i always tend to get the D and G to low.

Sometimes i get it so messed up that when i change from guitar to guitar i find i miss picking strings because they are setup wrong.

JohnH

Reaction score
The problem with the G string is that , while it has about the same force as the other strings, it is a stiffer string so that when you fret it; it stretches with a greater % change in its force than similarly fretting the higher strings. So you get a significant extra sharpness.

Intonation at the bridge is too far away to help. A slightly compensated nut could do it. But really, a lot can be helped by making sure the nut slot is as low as it can be, short of buzzing.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I read a tuning trick online a few years ago that worked real well for me, I tune the 3 wound strings very slightly flat (a few cents?) and the plain string s slightly sharp, this helped me more than anything else I've tried and is not far enough out to conflict with other instruments.

Latest posts