G12K-85's

• Thread starter khan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

khan

Reaction score
WooHoo! So, my 4010 had a G12k 85 in it. Apparently it had been re-coned with something other than Celestion spec paper...so says the tech I use. Apparently, it had become very brittle. I noticed the sound picking up some fizziness. Then, about two weeks ago, I noticed an outright buzz. I concluded there must be a loose bolt/screw. Went through and tightened everything and noticed some daylight coming through the edge of the speaker. Yep. The cone had split along the the baffles around the edge of the cone.
It still played and as luck would have it, ebay had 2 of the 85's pulled from a cabinet. Got them last Friday, pulled the bad speaker and replaced with one of the new ones. Wow! The sound must have been compromised for some time. This guy blasts exponentially better than before. Much crisper and more defined. That Marshall crunch is there again.
When I took in the speaker for re-coning is when the inferior cone paper was discovered. I knew no better. He (the tech) said the stuff he uses has hemp blended(my word, not his) with the paper to make it stronger. He says it will be Celestion paper. So, then I'll take the 2 G12K 85's and put them in my 1922 cab. I love the bottom these guys produce...and with the smaller cab, I don't think I'll be over doing it.
Anyway, that's it...just blabbing my experience.
Thanks!

khan

Reaction score
I swear I only posted this once. It was the glitch that duplicated my post. Any way to delete one or the other, please?
Thanks!