• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

G12T-75 hate? Huh?

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I firmly believe, from experience, that a 50 Watt Marshall with a 75 or four will produce enough bass to get in the way of a bass player.
Well, you might need humbuckers and boost.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
You must be trolling.
"You see, the 75s have a scooped tone..."
"THEY DO NOT! They have boosted highs and lows. That's completely different from what you said."
My 87 4x12 had them stock. It's been awhile but that's what I recall doing.

jeffb

Reaction score
75s really bring out something in the highs. So do V30s, but in a different way. V30s are all presence but it's not fizz. The 75s of the mid 90s and beyond accentuate all the buzzy/fizz top end. If you have a warmer/dark amp, it may not be so bad. But then the lows get woofy.

But most flagship Marshalls of the 90s and beyond are already bright amps with a fizzy top end- 900 series, DSL series, TSL series, JVMs, etc. And the 2205/10 and Jooby are in that boat too. It brings out the worst part of those amps while simultaneously making them sound dark and distant instead of present and mid forward.

They are excellent in combination with something like a v30 where they fill in each other's deficiencies, but I can't take them on their own.

All IME/IMO , of course.

dslman

Reaction score
I'm running two '80's T-75's and two 25w GB's in my JCM800 1960 Lead A cab. I can't imagine it sounding better.

View attachment 156824
Same here , except mine are Chinese greenbacks on top, and UK T75's on the bottom. Really nice mix, hits hard too, and seems to fill the eq spectrum well.

Deftone

Reaction score
Same here , except mine are Chinese greenbacks on top, and UK T75's on the bottom. Really nice mix, hits hard too, and seems to fill the eq spectrum well.
I just set up my Artist 30 full stack with two '80's 1966 cabs loaded with T-75's. Actually it's more like a 3/4 stack. I've got two more GB's so I'm thinking about putting one in each 1966 cab. It's sounding pretty killer as it is though.

Capture.JPG
Next I'm going to try the Bogner XTC 3534 on top and see how that sounds.

Deftone

Reaction score
I like his conclusion, that the T75 adds depth to the more "in your face" speakers. Tough for me to enjoy them by themselves, which is what I believe he is also experiencing. Took way too long for me to figure this out.
Agreed. IMHO they are a good all around Rock and Metal speaker but mixing them with something like GB's makes for a killer combo.

dslman

Reaction score
I once had 4 1960 cabs all with T75”s , ran them with 100w DSL heads, but after never being totally satisfied with the tone, I started mixing speakers . Went through a bunch of WGS , and few Celestions .

StratoMarshall

Reaction score
I have a 1960A cab from 1979 with G12T75's, the British ones with the vent. They had been well broken in before I bought the cab from 50WPLEXI here on the forum.
With my TSL100 or the SV20H they sound fantastic. I even play 5 string bass on them with the TSL100 and they rock. Not hard to dial in classic tones either!

V-Type

Reaction score
I discovered mixing 2 gt 75's and 2 v 30's in an X pattern about 20 years ago and have never looked back. The 75 add's the Low end while the 30's push the mids. Have run this combo with Marhsalls,Mesa's.Friedmans,Fenders,Bogners.etc... and the results were always impressive for me.

jeffsmusic4919

Reaction score
What escapes most with the 75's is, as far as I know, the 300 watt cabs were deigned to be run with two 100 watt heads. When you really crank the daylights out of them, they sound a lot different.

With a sm57 in a 2x12 or a 4x12 close mic'd they sound about the same. It the room though, a 2x12 sounds much more mid present, to me. The 2x12 works very well with dropped tuning.

I still prefer the 4x12 most times, not cranked. My ears......Hurt. :D You really need to tame the highs... like on zero for lower gain stuff and roll back the lows. I have two amps with an anti-fizz mod and it helps too.

I prefer my B cab 4x12 with late 90's Greenbacks lately.

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
12T-75 and Classic Lead or G12-65, can't go wrong with that combination. Or....mix them up with an Eminence Tonker and you have a G12-65 on steroids and the low mids of the 12T-75, VERY tasty

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What escapes most with the 75's is, as far as I know, the 300 watt cabs were deigned to be run with two 100 watt heads. When you really crank the daylights out of them, they sound a lot different.

With a sm57 in a 2x12 or a 4x12 close mic'd they sound about the same. It the room though, a 2x12 sounds much more mid present, to me. The 2x12 works very well with dropped tuning.

I still prefer the 4x12 most times, not cranked. My ears......Hurt. :D You really need to tame the highs... like on zero for lower gain stuff and roll back the lows. I have two amps with an anti-fizz mod and it helps too.

I prefer my B cab 4x12 with late 90's Greenbacks lately.

>> When you really crank the daylights out of them, they sound a lot different.
Yes. Seems to me that everybody used to know this years ago. A speaker needs to be working in the operating range it was designed for.
Now I'm thinking fondly of that little 10 inch 75 watt JBL I used to own - that LOVED having 100 watts pumped in.

Latest posts