• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Germany Bans Some Music

• Thread starter CaptainZero
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
Okay, this is pretty interesting on many levels. Wonder how far this will go. I'm sure they have 'good intentions', but this statement is ****ed up:

"Music is an introduction to right-wing extremism, we all know that, so for me this is very important," Saxony interior minister Markus Ulbig told reporters in the state capital Dresden Wednesday.

German police build 'Nazi Shazam' to track banned music

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well they did kill 6 million Jews, not counting Vin. Someone's gotta keep them in check.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKFJisceOw]Rob Halford (Judas Priest) singing in court - YouTube[/ame]

Darth Federer

Reaction score
I think this might be a trend in Greece too. They have a neo-nazi party that has made huge gains in parliament over the last few years. I think they are called Golden Dawn. Of course these are the types on incidences that lead to much bigger problems down the road. The current Balkanization and extremism that is taking place all over the world can be traced directly back to a United States with diminished world influence. Most Americans are very isolationist in their world outlook. Basically we just want to be left alone to enjoy our freedom. However, the minute the United States pulls back to an isolotionists footing these types of incidences happen much more frequently and usually only metasticize. What's currently going on in Turkey is a great example of what happens when the USA takes a hands off approach. To really illustrate my point all you have to do is look at what happened to the Soviet Union when Ronald Reagan confronted them on moral grounds. The "Tear Down this Wall" speech was one of the defining moments of the Cold War. Contrast that to the apology tour President Obama made across the Middle East. The Arabs all love us now as a result of that apology of course.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Um, is this thread about music censorship, or global / domestic politics?

poeman33

Reaction score
They banned showing Elvis's hips on TV because if would degrade the morals of civilization. Yeah...that really hurt his popularity.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
They banned showing Elvis's hips on TV because if would degrade the morals of civilization. Yeah...that really hurt his popularity.

Yup, every generation tries to push the boundaries past the previous generation for shock value. Alice Cooper always comes to mind when I think about these things … his schtick has much more of a clownish Halloween feel to it these days compared to when he was making a name for himself trying to shock people.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
Semiotics is some heavy shit. Roland Barthes must be laughing his head off in his grave.

Doesn't art question how in control we are?

Art has the capability to ease our pain and comfort us, but it can also call on the truth which shatters our lives and exposes what lies we live.

No wonder art forms have been banned.

From the Exorcist film, to the Omen and A Clockwork Orange - to Eminem and also Ozzy osbourne merchandise.

So much to ban!

Look at Poland and Israel, they banned Richard Wagner's music. It's only just been publicly unbanned.

Funny W. Allen quote [roughly right] - "I had to stop listening to Wagner, I had impulses to invade Poland"

Art is pretty spooky if you think about - good art contains something that which is inhuman and that which cannot be understood; it deepens the mystery.

Latest posts