• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Germany Bans Some Music

• Thread starter CaptainZero
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
396px-Mona_Lisa.jpg

How disconcerting is this image - did da Vinci paint himself as a woman. What else did he paint into it? subliminal images perhaps.

So many funny takes on that image too - it's no wonder, it's so popular.

If you look at it for long enough it stares into your soul.

Neitzsche [sp] also said, we art as to not die of the truth.

If you think about it, all we have is art.

DBi5

Reaction score
Okay, this is pretty interesting on many levels. Wonder how far this will go. I'm sure they have 'good intentions', but this statement is ****ed up:
Are you aware of the well established neo-Nazi music movement in the UK/Europe/Scandinavia.

You have misinterpreted the statement.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
Are you aware of the well established neo-Nazi music movement in the UK/Europe/Scandinavia.

You have misinterpreted the statement.

Other than reading the article, no. I had no idea. But, that is why I said this is interesting on many levels. I see where they're going with it, but I don't see that as the right approach. I'm not a fan of banning anything.

There is an underlying cause to make people hate like that, and it sure as hell isn't the music.

DBi5

Reaction score
There is an underlying cause to make people hate like that, and it sure as hell isn't the music.
You're still not getting it CZ.

Various members of the movement formed bands (usually punk style) and play gigs at the rallies etc. They've been releasing albums/cds for a long time (there's no prizes for guessing what the songs are about).

Before the internet the only way to obtain them was at the gig/rally or by mail order, therefore one had to be a member of the movement or know somebody who was and would give you the necessary information.

With the greatest respect to the American ideal of free speech, things are done differently this side of the Atlantic and often for good reason.

This part of the world has endured many centuries of hatred and conflict and as anybody who has witnessed the actions of this movement will tell you, there is a strong desire to prevent this type of Phoenix from ever rising from the ashes.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
With the greatest respect to the American ideal of free speech, things are done differently this side of the Atlantic and often for good reason.

This part of the world has endured many centuries of hatred and conflict and as anybody who has witnessed the actions of this movement will tell you, there is a strong desire to prevent this type of Phoenix from ever rising from the ashes.

There's something very chilling and unsettling in your words.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
There's something very chilling and unsettling in your words.

I agree, and I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I don't pretend to know the horrors that people overseas have gone through. Especially, 60+ years ago. I just don't quite get how banning songs will fix it. There is clearly something else at the root of the problem that needs to be taken care of. Banning the songs is a bandaid at best.

levon

Reaction score
Right. Nice to see y'all showing your ignorance. FYI, music that promotes and glorifies Nazi ideas and propaganda has been banned in Germany for a long time. And rightly so.

*MOD EDIT - REMOVAL OF OFF-TOPIC INSULTS"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JAC

levon

Reaction score
I agree, and I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I don't pretend to know the horrors that people overseas have gone through. Especially, 60+ years ago. I just don't quite get how banning songs will fix it. There is clearly something else at the root of the problem that needs to be taken care of. Banning the songs is a bandaid at best.

I don't think you're trying to be disrespectful, but banning the song is not a band aid but a means to not giving those idiots a platform. And who wants to hear that crap anyway? Do you really believe this stuff ranks amongst the great songs of the century?

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Right. Nice to see y'all showing your ignorance. FYI, music that promotes and glorifies Nazi ideas and propaganda has been banned in Germany for a long time. And rightly so.

Banning songs would do us good? How so? Anyways, thanks but no thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainZero

Reaction score
I don't think you're trying to be disrespectful, but banning the song is not a band aid but a means to not giving those idiots a platform. And who wants to hear that crap anyway? Do you really believe this stuff ranks amongst the great songs of the century?

No, I'm sure they're horrible, hate filled piles of crap, but once you start banning something, it creeps in to other areas, or other songs that someone deems offensive. Once you give them the power to do it, they will always take it further.

I would question how those songs are able to recruit people to hate acts. There has to be something else that's causing them to go that route, not just the songs.

I would think that radio stations, and the like, wouldn't play that shit anyway, so it would just be people listening on iPods, etc. How the hell are you going to ban that?

Reactions: brp

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score

The problem with that is your government has total control over what they deem offensive. You're letting someone else tell you what's ok and not ok to talk about, regardless of how tacky it is. That doesn't sit well with me; that's a scary situation to be in. It's also the reason that what you're trying to prevent happened in the first place.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsIfkdDnRf4]Judas Priest Parental Guidance 1986 - YouTube[/ame]

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score

*MOD EDIT - REMOVAL OF OFF-TOPIC INSULTS"

OH! I wanna know what he said! Was it about me?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
OH! I wanna know what he said! Was it about me?

No, it wasn't about anyone in particular … just an off topic comment that's probably best left for another forum (political). Really, not a big deal at all.

Latest posts