• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Germany Bans Some Music

• Thread starter CaptainZero
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blokkadeleider

Reaction score
If that is the case then you will be the ideal person to explain Volksverhetzung.

Certainly. For Americans it would translate roughly as hate speech.
Those laws are already abused for very different reasons as those which we were told they were intended for in The Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Belgium to name a few.

It's exactly those kinds of laws which very much bring memories of the formerDDR, USSR 3rd Reich and other very "enlightened" places.

A healthy society and democracy can withstand a few fools.

Banning music, burning books, however obnoxious they are, are utterly uncivilized, even if those who made them are exactly that.

Gr,

Gerrit.

DBi5

Reaction score

Banning music, burning books, however obnoxious they are, are utterly uncivilized, even if those who made them are exactly that.
Is Ted Dekker's novel Immanuel's Veins still banned in Holland?

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Certainly. For Americans it would translate roughly as hate speech.
Those laws are already abused for very different reasons as those which we were told they were intended for in The Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Belgium to name a few.

It's exactly those kinds of laws which very much bring memories of the formerDDR, USSR 3rd Reich and other very "enlightened" places.

Gr,

Gerrit.

Can I like this guy twice?

JAC

Reaction score
I wanna know what love is? It sure doesn't appear to exist on this thread. I enjoyed reading the article. I would not dare to comment on it. I don't live over there, so I'm not hip to the problems they are encountering with this. I don't support censorship in art so, I'm blown away by this. I refuse to have a knee jerk reaction opinion on it. These days I've been real good about ignoring people's ignorant posts on gear forums. I'm gonna keep it that way.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanna know what love is? It sure doesn't appear to exist on this thread. I enjoyed reading the article. I would not dare to comment on it. I don't live over there, so I'm not hip to the problems they are encountering with this. I don't support censorship in art so, I'm blown away by this. I refuse to have a knee jerk reaction opinion on it. These days I've been real good about ignoring people's ignorant posts on gear forums. I'm gonna keep it that way.

?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j82al7MjtQ]Foreigner-I Want To Know What Love Is - YouTube[/ame]

1neeto

Reaction score
The problem with that is your government has total control over what they deem offensive. You're letting someone else tell you what's ok and not ok to talk about, regardless of how tacky it is. That doesn't sit well with me; that's a scary situation to be in. It's also the reason that what you're trying to prevent happened in the first place.

The post I was looking for while I was reading the thread. This can open a huge can o' worms. I'm sure this would never happen in the USA that's for sure.

levon

Reaction score
You make some valid points, however, these idiots hurt people. They kill people. Have you followed the NSA trial? They killed foreigners just because they're foreigners. They beat up people for the color of their skin. So, yes, you do have to take them seriously.

And I would say the same if they were extreme left-wingers. Extremism in any form or color breeds hate. When does mankind learn to get along and love each other?

Back to Marshalls, please, I hate politics.

Unfortunately, banned or not, they will have that platform.
The only cure against it is education,which unfortunately in our countries, The Netherlands and Germany lies completely in ruins.

And of course who will decide where it ends? Today it's the nazis, just and right, tomorrow it is patriots and bands like Frei.Wild will be banned or later anything even remotely critical and not coming from the politically correct corner.
Where do you think that will lead us?

As difficult as it may seem you cannot use Nazi tactics (banning) to get rid of nazis.

And let's be fair. Compared to other dangers nazis these days are absolutely trivial. Few followers (even in the brownest corner of the Sächsische Schweiz) and nobody takes them seriously except those who need them to feel better themselves.

Yes, I do follow Germany and German politics closely.

Gr,

Gerrit.

levon

Reaction score
ok, i gotta ask, simply b/c this is just a slippery slippery slope, and well...like many things in life, its all perspective.

firstly, whats the diff between german/european bands that promote nazi ideals and american white power/neo nazi type ideals? same group, different locale.

2nd, if naziism is so distasteful as to be outlawed simply for speaking/singing about it, then where do you rank violent music? satanic music? both of which are rampant in pop and underground music. certainly 1000X more prevalent than nazi stuff.

where do bands like insane clown posse fit into this? i forget what their music is "called" it has a moniker, but it escapes me at the moment.

i dont like white power nazi ideals any more than violent satanic type ideals in my music, but there it is.

is it b/c the white powers believe what they say? and the gore/satanic music is just "fantasy"?

i have a hard time making any distinction between the two as far as offensive and ultimately destructive quality to its listener.

Yes you're right. It's just that, where I live, we have more of the Nazi variety and less of the satanic variety. So we're more sensitive to that.

Never heard of Insane Clown. Sounds insane.

Blokkadeleider

Reaction score
You make some valid points, however, these idiots hurt people. They kill people. Have you followed the NSA trial? They killed foreigners just because they're foreigners. They beat up people for the color of their skin. So, yes, you do have to take them seriously.

So do other larger groups on a more massive scale.
It's the same thing but that's not what this ban is intended for.
I have followed the NSA-trial and the Dönermörde.
So when will there be a criminal prosecution of the Staatsschutz? They knew about it all along.

And I would say the same if they were extreme left-wingers. Extremism in any form or color breeds hate. When does mankind learn to get along and love each other?

That's what they are, left-wingers...

Back to Marshalls, please, I hate politics.

Now this is the bit that I like! :)

Gr,

Gerrit.

Latest posts